Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2026, 08:42:53 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  GOTHAM
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: GOTHAM  (Read 4574 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 31361

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: September 23, 2014, 12:02:31 pm »

Did anyone watch last night?  What did you think?
Logged

I drink your milkshake!
Cathal
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 2519


« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 01:05:37 pm »

I'm curious what everyone thought. It looked mildly interesting in the commercials but I didn't think a TV show could actually do it "right".
Logged
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 31361

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 01:17:14 pm »

I enjoyed it.  My only critique was that they had all of the "villains" in one show, when they really had no place.  Catwoman, for example, doesn't have any dialogue or reason to be in any scenes.  She's just around, hanging out on ledges. 

Because it's a network show, they need to show people what they're in for, so I doubt that this kind of storytelling will continue.  There were several characters that were introduced in the pilot for no real reason, other than to let you know that they'd be in the series.

Most importantly, I liked the Jim Gordon character, the Harvey Bullock character, and their relationship with each other and the cops and the crooks.  Interesting start, and my favorite superhero pilot, as compared to Arrow, Shield, Smallville, etc.
Logged

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 31361

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 03:10:05 pm »

I have hopes for this show, but it could go South, depending on what they do.

I hear that each season will "focus" on a villain origin, with this one being Penguin.  If true, that's cool.

I know Bullock from the Animated Series and comics, but right now he's being played more like Detective Flass.  It'd be nice to see him have an arc and turn into "good cop" with Gordon. 

I like how some of the villains are actually good-ish guys, the same way you would say about a dictator in a country that maintains order through violence and oppression.

I'm a little concerned that everything is so related, but if they're going to make the point that the Wayne murders had a rippling effect that ended up creating all of these heroes and villains.  Neat idea.

Logged

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 23028

Do you know what I am saying?


Email
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 04:11:04 pm »


My roommate andf I watched it last night...and we both really liked it. I made the same comment during the show, that they were trying to shoehorn all of the different batman villains into the pilot. My roommate said that it was to keep the whole "Batman" interest, since the show isn't actually about Batman.

I'll keep watching it...no doubt.

The other new show that premiered last night that I really enjoyed was "Scorpion." It was like "Alphas," but instead of mutants, you have a group of young hyper-geniuses. I think I might have enjoyed that even more than Gotham.


Logged

"No more yankie my wankie. The Donger need food!"
~Long Duk Dong
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 6444



« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 04:16:20 pm »

i watched scorpion .. i really liked it .. good cast too
Logged
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 31361

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 11:12:14 am »

2nd episode of GOTHAM was better than the first.  They still have it a little bit "on the nose" for my taste, but that's what you get with network TV.  For what it is, I am excited to see where it goes.
Logged

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 23028

Do you know what I am saying?


Email
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2014, 12:14:02 pm »


Gotham was definitely better in round two...but it still is in "wait and hope it gets really good mode" for me. Gordon's partner is just a little too over the top to be believed. The corruption in that city is almost unrealistically high. Was a little disappointed with the "candle burn" scene as well, as a burn from holding a candle flame to your palm like that doesn't make a wound anything like the one on Bruce's hand. I know this from firsthand experience.

Episode 2 of Scorpion was pretty damned cool...that show is locked in for me at this point. The waitress is rapidly climbing my "Yumminess Rankings" as well. She's like part Salma Hayek and part young Jennifer Aniston, and that works just fine for me. Grin

The season premier of Castle was last night, picking up after last season's massive cliffhanger finale. It definitely did not disappoint.

Monday and Tuesday nights are just ridiculous for shows I like. MNF, Gotham, Scorpion, Castle, Blacklist, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Person of Interest, Sons of Anarchy...it's just insane.



« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 12:15:37 pm by Sunstroke » Logged

"No more yankie my wankie. The Donger need food!"
~Long Duk Dong
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 6444



« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2014, 12:24:30 pm »

we missed scorpion last night .. but ti's gonna be on the DVR when we get back home
Logged
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 31361

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 01:35:22 pm »

Gotham is improving, I think.  It still has some weird forced lesbianism (multiple instances of it) that comes across as kinda sleezy.

But I find this show already as interesting as the Marvel stuff.  However, I appear to be in the minority in the nerd community, where they're constantly ripping on it.

I don't watch a lot of TV like this, so maybe the formula just isn't as stale.  Or I just love Batman.
Logged

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 23028

Do you know what I am saying?


Email
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 02:04:53 pm »


I'm enjoying Gotham, and agree that it is getting better. I have no problems with weird forced lesbianism, either, as long as they keep the cameras rolling. Gordon's partner is still a little too over-the-top for my tastes, but that weird forced lesbianism makes up for it, I guess. Grin

I am glad to see young Master Wayne starting to play more of a role though. What would Gotham be without Batman?

Logged

"No more yankie my wankie. The Donger need food!"
~Long Duk Dong
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray


Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines