Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:48:18 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Same old Dolphins...NOT
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Same old Dolphins...NOT  (Read 1606 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« on: October 23, 2014, 12:41:35 am »

I may be going out on a limb here, but I see something different about these Dolphins. I know we have all become very jaded when it comes to the Dolphins and frankly rightfully so as they have been pretty tough to watch for a very long time, but I have started to see some differences in this team and I for one am encouraged about the direction of the team. It's tough to put into words exactly because the differences I see are very subtle, but I do believe they are there. I'm gonna give some of my impressions on what I see and I'm sure that I'm gonna get a lot of resistance to some of these ideas and I won't really be able to refute them, but I ask that you try to keep an open mind. So without further adieu.

1) I'm gonna start off with this because it may come as a shocker as it kinda snuck up on me as well, but perhaps one of the best things that Philbin has done this year was cause the QB controversy by failing to name Tannehill the starter. Crazy? At the time I thought so, but a couple games later, I think it actually has helped a lot. What this team needs badly is leadership and whether or not he did it on purpose, I think it forced Tannehill into a leadership position a bit more than he's used to and the team has rallied around him a bit. Tannehill basically named himself the starter and was visibly irritated that Philbin didn't do it. That's what this team needed and needs more of. Players showing some fight. Showing some attitude. Since that happened, Tannehill has played pretty darn well and his team has responded to him as well. Wallace is quietly going about his business and making plays. Clay has picked it up a bit. Landry is becoming a go-to guy. It's not all perfect yet, far from it, but it's better. The offense is now starting to resemble an actual NFL style offense that gives defenses trouble to figure out. I haven't seen that since the days of Marino. I don't expect it will be like that every game, but the last 2 have been fun to watch.

2) I'm starting to see a little swagger on both sides of the ball. Again I think this is kind of a leadership thing. Finnegan and Grimes don't back down from anyone. Jones and Delmas are playing really well together. Wake has always been solid, but now there are others that are making plays as well. We still need a big stud LB to stick right in the middle of the defense to really make this a top 5 defense, but that's all it's missing at this point. The rest of the guys are all capable of making plays.

3) I'm not convinced that Philbin is a good coach, but I am convinced that he's not as bad as people make him out to be. He reminds me of Tom Landry. Now before you laugh, imagine what Landry would be like without Roger Staubach, Randy White, Ed Jones, etc. The big difference between Landry and Philbin is that Landry had great leadership. Philbin needs that now. He understands the game and I think he knows how to coach it, but come Sundays he needs to take a back seat and the let the players do their thing. That's what Landry did. All his work was from Tuesday to Saturday and on Sundays it was all Staubach, White, Jones etc. They stood out. Landry just stood on the sidelines with his unemotional demeanor and perfect hat. I think Philbin could be like that, in fact I think Philbin would be at his best like that, but he's gonna need players to step up and be leaders like that. 

4) Finally I think we finally got a draft right. James and Landry look like guys to build on. They should only get better with time. Maybe Hickey got lucky and maybe he didn't. Maybe we will actually see draft picks produce a little more often. I'm also excited about Chris McCain. He's been banged up a bit, but I think he could be a very nice player in a year or so. I see some great football instincts in him, much more than I've seen from Misi. Misi is solid, but unspectacular. He doesn't sniff out plays and blow them up. That's what you need out of a middle linebacker. McCain also has a personality that I think can be infectious. You can just tell that he loves to play. He's kind of a Moreno for the defense, someone to get you fired up. I might be wrong about him as it's very early in his career, but I see some things I like.

So that's it. That's what I see. I see some good things happening. You have to look close and you have to read between the lines a bit, but I think the signs are there. Signs that this team is improving. Signs that this might finally be the year they break through and make the playoffs. Signs of better times to come.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 12:52:40 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
JGreenMachine

What's the deal?

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 07:57:24 am »

Or you could be right.  I'm starting to see this team play with a different type of attitude.  They could've and should've beaten Green Bay.

I enjoyed the read.  Good post.  But I'm gonna table it until December

Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 09:03:20 am »

I'd love to hop on the optimism bandwagon, but we've seen these Dolphins go on "runs" before only to disappoint us in the end.

This team looked destined for the playoffs last season after beating New England late in the year. Then they screwed the pooch against the Jets and Bills.

Right now, this team is 3-3. They've had a couple of embarassing losses this season and a couple of impressive wins.

What is still missing is consistency and we'll see in the very near future if its still missing or not as we play a tough stretch of games after the Jacksonville game. Or heck, we may do what we did last year and lose to the Jaguars like we lost to Tampa Bay.
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 09:20:21 am »

I too am not going to get optimistic about this unless they go on a 3 game win streak. At this rate, pretty much going win-lose-win-lose isn't going to get them the AFC East title, and it's going to be very hard to get into a wild card with that, especially with how badly they failed when all they had to do was beat a crappy Bills or Jets team.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 11:32:51 am »

It's nice to see some optimism on here, good post Pappy.  Although I don't agree with everything, I do notice a difference in this team vs. prior years.  They've bounced back from some losses, and if you told me before the season they would start out 3-3, I'd be satisfied with that.  I'm sure someone will point out with stats that I'm wrong, but I get the sense they have been playing better in the second half this year.  Other years it seemed they would play great the first half, then lay a turd the second half.
DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 12:13:45 pm »

Hate to sound negative,  and im not speaking for anyone but in some ways, The season is not over and it may just as possible to end up 7-9 .  The Fins have looked good in earlier moments to just implode at the final  stretch.  While this may be a different team  Roll Eyes I get it but the stigma of the late season swoon still lurks.  Just saying dont get your hopes up.  Miami could have been 5-1 or 4-2 instead of 3-3 coming into this game.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray