Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:21:22 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Marlins sign Stanton to megadeal
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Marlins sign Stanton to megadeal  (Read 4907 times)
JGreenMachine

What's the deal?

« on: November 14, 2014, 10:33:38 pm »

13 years $325 million and a no trade clause.  For once, Jeffrey Loria has left me speechless
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 09:17:47 am by JGreenMachine » Logged

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 07:56:16 pm »

He will be with the Yankees (or Red Sox) within 3-5 years when the Marlins are crying poor unable to pay that contract. Yankees (or Red Sox) will give up nothing to get him just because the Marlins will need the salary dump.

We have seen this before. We know how this is going to end. If anyone thinks Stanton will retire a Marlin or be there in 5 years they are fooling themselves.
JGreenMachine

What's the deal?

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 08:42:07 pm »

He will be with the Yankees (or Red Sox) within 3-5 years when the Marlins are crying poor unable to pay that contract. Yankees (or Red Sox) will give up nothing to get him just because the Marlins will need the salary dump.

We have seen this before. We know how this is going to end. If anyone thinks Stanton will retire a Marlin or be there in 5 years they are fooling themselves.

The Marlins have never signed anyone to a deal of this magnitude before.  Here's to hoping the pattern you described will change.

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 09:39:12 am »

No trade clause.
I think there's a Stanton opt-out also.

I hope this means the Marlins are re-committed to building a team here, and not just serving as the farm system for the rest of the league.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 10:22:53 am »

Opt-Out clause is in 5 years. So its essentially a 5 year deal and he pulls an A-Rod and opt outs and hits the market again. And if he decides not to opt out, that's when the Marlins probably look to trade him to get out of that contract when the kid is in his 30's
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 10:26:02 am »

Opt-Out clause is in 5 years. So its essentially a 5 year deal and he pulls an A-Rod and opt outs and hits the market again. And if he decides not to opt out, that's when the Marlins probably look to trade him to get out of that contract when the kid is in his 30's

How can they trade him if there is a no trade clause.....
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 10:26:54 am »

This signing tells me Loria will soon sell the team, and by soon I mean in the next couple of years. He got his subsidized stadium and now he's resigned a superstar. Team value went up quite a bit the past couple of seasons.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2014, 10:35:56 am »

perfect .. i'd love it if he sold the team .. it would be the best outcome imaginable for the entire franchise !
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 10:37:25 am »

How can they trade him if there is a no trade clause.....

Player can always approve a trade even if there is a no trade clause. New team could extend the deal or something to make it worth his while. Ways around that
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2014, 11:59:15 am »

The Marlins NEVER give out no trade clauses.  It is a documented part of their team policy.  The fact that they gave Stanton one is a sign of commitment.

Stanton's opt out is to give the team motivation to build pieces around him.  he isn't going to sit here locked up for 13 years and rot away with no hope of a ring ever.  If he isn't please with how the team is building in 5 years, he can bolt. 

Personally, this contract goes well for both teams.  Stanton can stay locked up and the Marlins can use him as the face of the franchise.  If this is setting up for Loria to leave town, then thank goodness because I can go to Marlins games again.  Hope he takes his rat-weasel son-in-law with him.
JGreenMachine

What's the deal?

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2014, 12:14:23 pm »

perfect .. i'd love it if he sold the team .. it would be the best outcome imaginable for the entire franchise !

It definitely would.  The question is, who would you like to see own this team? 

Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 02:28:56 pm »

Player can always approve a trade even if there is a no trade clause. New team could extend the deal or something to make it worth his while. Ways around that

I get that, but your comment doesn't seem to take that into account.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 03:26:02 pm »

Full no trade.  He is Miami's issue (with zero incentive to work for anything, he is under contract for 13 years)...unless he wants to tap out at 5 (which would not make any sense, he won't find a better deal). 

Not a great deal.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2014, 04:12:57 pm »

hopefully he's got a better work ethic than hanley
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2014, 09:15:26 pm »

Yeah, this isn't saving Miami any money by buying out some years cheaply despite him still being arbitration eligible. It's very market value and for a very long time.

Also, while no one denies his talent, he has missed a lot of games so far. Add that and the ridiculous opt out clause which is destroying teams and this looks like a pretty bad deal.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray