Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:38:11 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Dynamite, Small Packages & Chris Borland
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dynamite, Small Packages & Chris Borland  (Read 1797 times)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« on: November 19, 2014, 03:09:32 pm »

Moving to South Florida in 1998, I had the sincere privilege of watching almost the entire career of Dolphins great LB Zach Thomas' career. Even before I moved here, I remember Miami drafting him, and remember the talk about how his "lack of measurables" would bump his draft stock. Sure enough, despite being voted to the All American team at Texas Tech, the 5'11" 230 lb Zach slid to the fifth round, where Miami got arguably one of the biggest draft steals in franchise history.

Fast forward to 2014...

The 49ers, having lost All-Pro LB NaVorro Bowman to injury, have Michael Wilhoite set to start in Bowman's place. They still admittedly are looking at inside linebackers, just to add depth. Despite racking up 421 tackles at Wisconsin and being named the Big Ten's Defensive Player of the Year, LB Chris Borland slides to the middle of the third round, mainly because of his "lack of measurables" (5'11" 235 lb), where the 49ers draft him #77 overall.

With Wilhoite in Bowman's spot, Borland starts the season as a backup, learning his position in the 49ers 3-4 scheme. With minimal snaps, Borland only notches 7 tackles in the first 6 weeks, though 49ers team reports talk about how he is a Hellion in practice, and spending extra time in the film room, picking the brains of SF's Pro Bowl 'backers.

Week 6, the unthinkable happens... 9-time Pro Bowler Patrick Willis injures his foot and is lost for the season. Borland is tabbed as his replacement.

Borland's stat line in his 1st start: 8 tackles (7 solo) and 1 sack
Borland's stat line in his 2nd start: 18 tackles (15 solo) and 3 tackles for loss. Nominated for Rookie of the Week award
Borland's stat line in his 3rd start: 17 tackles (11 solo), 2 tackles for loss, 1 fumble recovery. Named NFL Rookie of the Week
Borland's stat line in his 4th start: 13 tackles (9 solo), 2 tackles for loss, 3 passes defensed, 2 interceptions. Named NFC Defensive Player of the Week.

I've watched all four of his starts, and I can say with minimal exaggeration/hyperbole that the comparison between Chris Borland and Zach Thomas goes beyond the short stature and less-than-impressive .40 speed. He simply "plays" like Zach. He is seemingly in on every play, from sideline to sideline, and he explodes into ball carriers, rather than just tackling them.

I truly enjoyed watching Zach Thomas play like a monster for Miami for over a decade, and hope that I get to see a similar career arc for the 49ers newest defensive demon.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 04:54:44 pm »

Chris Borland is listed at around 245-250 lbs.

But regardless, a lot of mocks had him going to the Dolphins and I think he would have been a great fit in our 4-3 defense.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 05:35:23 pm »

Chris Borland is listed at around 245-250 lbs.

But regardless, a lot of mocks had him going to the Dolphins and I think he would have been a great fit in our 4-3 defense.

"...with the afro he's 6'9"

Dick Hearn
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 05:49:19 pm »

a lot of mocks had him going to the Dolphins and I think he would have been a great fit in our 4-3 defense.

I think he's the type of player who would end up doing well no matter what team he ended up with. The guy is a football player, pure and simple, and he attacks every play like the world depends on him getting the job done. He had 27 turnover producing plays in 51 games at UW, and set the Big Ten record with 15 forced fumbles. Motor and attitude go a long way on a football field, and Borland looks like proof of that.

With Miami's need for a MLB, I definitely think he would have been a good fit for this team as well.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 07:24:46 pm »

Jealous.  Sad
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 02:54:41 am »

A light game against the Skins, by Borland's early standard...8 tackles (6 solo), with two tackles for loss. Borland has now led the team in tackles five straight weeks.

Our "other" rookie LB, the USF Bull, Aaron Lynch, continued to play well. His sack of RGIII basically killed one of their drives today.

Got the win, which is all that matters. Gotta keep it up for that playoff push.

~ Micah Leggat
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 01:19:22 pm »

Borland named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month for November... First player in 20 years, rookie or otherwise, to register a month with 70 tackles and two interceptions.

~ Micah Leggat
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray