Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:56:03 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  The Newsroom, Season 3
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Newsroom, Season 3  (Read 1574 times)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« on: November 21, 2014, 01:58:28 am »

I know there was some chat around here last year about the HBO show The Newsroom, but I couldn't find the old thread, so I wanted to start a new one.

Is anyone else watching this season? Whether you agree with the show's political positioning or not - and I often do, but not always - the writing for the show is as good, imo, as anything on TV today. Intelligent dialogue, sharp but subtle humor and characters that are completely believable.

The first two seasons were excellent, but the first couple of episodes this season have been nothing short of brilliant. Starting with the Boston Marathon bombing and segueing into the Wikileaks scandal, the drama has been sky high, and it looks like it is only going to get better.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 09:04:02 am »

news room has been good this season (its last)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2014, 02:16:18 pm »

I love this show. I was a fan of The West Wing as well and this is right up the same alley.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 05:32:51 pm »

^^^ I enjoyed The West Wing as well, and for a lot of the same reasons...extremely intelligent writing and top shelf subtle humor.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Buddhagirl
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 11:33:57 am »

Can someone give me a summary on this? I feel like I should be watching it and would enjoy it, but I don't really know what it's about. Also, should I watch West Wing?

"Well behaved women seldom make history."
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 10:59:11 am »

I  fully recommend both shows. Both shows are really self explanatory. The Newsroom is about a cable news network. It delves into both real life and show created news evets and their reporting. The personal relationships are also part of the writing. The dialog is superb making it a show you need to sit and pay attention to rather than just have in the background.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 06:30:13 pm »

Can someone give me a summary on this? I feel like I should be watching it and would enjoy it, but I don't really know what it's about. Also, should I watch West Wing?

An example of the quality dialogue...one of my favorite quotes from this past episode. The FBI has basically just raided the newsroom, taking hard drives in the wake of the wikileaks documents being passed to one of the staff. Will McAvoy (Jeff Daniels) is explaining the situation to one of the staffers who walked in during the middle of it all and he casually says: "They had a solid warrant and a solid reason for seeking it. I'm not at all convinced we're the good guys."

There are at least 10-12 times in each episode that I tell myself "I have to remember that line..."

~ Micah Leggat
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray