Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:13:41 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Fat Rex for Dolphins' DC?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Fat Rex for Dolphins' DC?  (Read 5235 times)
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« on: December 22, 2014, 05:20:22 pm »

Posing a hypothetical...

Philbin stays (we think we know that)

Coyle goes (we could only hope)

Fat Rex get fired (highly likely)

Do you think the Dolphins bring in Fat Rex for a DC job?

If so, would you be FOR or AGAINST this, and why?
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 05:32:19 pm »

Ok, thought we cleared this up already.

Rex will either a) Take the huge money TV deal he has in his lap already and has been offered or b) Get another head coaching job. Rex's agent has already said he won't go back to being an assistant in 2015. If he doesn't get a head coaching job he will go to TV for a year or 2 until he does get his next head coaching job.

Plus, with Philbin being a lame duck no quality assistant in their right mind will come to Miami knowing it very well might be a one and done situation since Philbin isn't secure in his position beyond next year.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 05:33:52 pm »

Assuming that it was a plausible scenario, I would have no issues with it.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 05:36:05 pm »

Against,  only b/c I want him to be the DC of the NEP.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 05:36:21 pm »

Thanks for your thorough analysis Mike.  I wasn't asking about Rex Ryan's potential career path, considering it clearly states "hypothetical" at the top.

Dave got it - it was more of a "would you, a Dolphins' fan, embrace Rex Ryan on your coaching staff?" question.

But thanks for the in depth analysis.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 05:37:36 pm »

^^It's so unrealistic that there is no way to comment on it. Because there is a 0.0% chance of it happening
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 05:37:47 pm »

In fact, I think guys like Rex are perfectly suited for coordinator jobs -- these larger than life personalities: yelling, acting like an asshole, etc -- they catch up with you when you're the top dog.  It's cute and energetic when you're a little bit down the totem pole, though.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 05:40:35 pm »

I'd be all for it, but I don't think Rex and/or Philbin would do it. It would just be too much of a stretch philosophically. Philbin would cut him before the preseason is over and would have to be told that he can't cut a coach and then he'd fire him.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 05:42:25 pm »

In fact, I think guys like Rex are perfectly suited for coordinator jobs -- these larger than life personalities: yelling, acting like an asshole, etc -- they catch up with you when you're the top dog.  It's cute and energetic when you're a little bit down the totem pole, though.

Rex can go to TV and be the next John Madden if he wants, he already has that offer in his hands that's how bad the networks want him. Make millions upon millions to just run his mouth. Why on earth would you go and be second fiddle as a DC when you can make more, have no pressure, and not live that assistant coach lifestyle. Jon Gruden showed that those TV checks are really big and you have no "record" to be judged by and you can live a comfortable life making big bucks that way.  If Rex isn't offered a head coaching job I could easily see him going to TV, liking it, and in no rush at all to ever come back.

With that said I could see a team like the Raiders if they fail to land Harbaugh go after Rex.
DenverFinFan
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 05:53:13 pm »

Oh yeah the NFL wants Rex as a commentor doesn't matter with who they're wide-eyed with dollar signs.

I'd be against it as a real thing though, don't want to hear "start rex as coach" after the first loss next year.
DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 06:08:31 pm »

i think Rex will want another shot as a HC.  But it would be nice for him to get Miami defense back on top.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 06:18:47 pm »

Rex is a good DC.  I'd take him.

But you might as well hope to hire Jon Gruden as your OC at this point.  Both are equally likely.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 07:45:08 pm »

^^It's so unrealistic that there is no way to comment on it. Because there is a 0.0% chance of it happening

So why do you keep commenting on it???  If other people want to have a discussion about it then let them.  Unless your Fat Rex then you have 0.0% chance of knowing for sure what he will do.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 07:49:39 pm »

Posing a hypothetical...

Do you think the Dolphins bring in Fat Rex for a DC job?

I'd be all for it.  He's good at picking out talented defensive players, he's great at motivating players, and players want to play hard for him.  I could see him coming to Miami, I think his #1 goal is to beat Belichek.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 08:23:03 pm »

He's good at picking out talented defensive players,

Explain Quineton Coples, Kyle Wilson, Calvin Pryor and paying big bucks to Calvin Pace. If Rex is anything....he can't pick out talented players on defense
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray