Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:41:56 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Movie Review: American Sniper (2014)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Poll
Question: What did you think of American Sniper?
*****   -0 (0%)
****   -5 (33.3%)
***   -2 (13.3%)
**   -0 (0%)
*   -0 (0%)
I'd like to see it.   -2 (13.3%)
I have no interest.   -6 (40%)
Total Voters: 15

Author Topic: Movie Review: American Sniper (2014)  (Read 6905 times)
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 09:21:25 am »

Edit: Holy crap.  I'm reading about this movie online and apparently it's all politically motivated.

So what?

The only difference between this movie and a thousand other Hollywood movies is a difference of perspective on the political motivation.

That said, I thought the movie was OK. A little stretched out for my taste. I enjoyed watching it for the most part, but there were a couple of parts where I felt it was getting too long.

And yes, the baby was fake looking... so was the wife's belly while she was pregnant. It looked more like something an alien would be born out of.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 10:00:14 am »

I notice fake things and gaffs all the time. We watched the Maze Runner and I rewinded to show my wife were there is blood on the shirt in the first part of the scene and none later. Haven't we come to expect those kind of things for our $12 a ticket?

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 02:59:00 pm »

So what?

I just didn't realized that both sides of the political spectrum had latched on to the film as a statement for or against war or veterans or whatever.  I just reviewed it as a movie.  It was a good movie, but one that's less impressive as I'm away from it, since I don't think it really has a lot of interesting things to say and is a little too black and white for my taste.

I drink your milkshake!
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 03:41:58 pm »

I just didn't realized that both sides of the political spectrum had latched on to the film as a statement for or against war or veterans or whatever.  I just reviewed it as a movie.  It was a good movie, but one that's less impressive as I'm away from it, since I don't think it really has a lot of interesting things to say and is a little too black and white for my taste.

It certainly is black and white. I don't think anyone is using it as a statement for war. I don't think anyone is arguing for war.

I think some of the people that have made comments calling snipers cowards are pretty ignorant. Let's drop one of them into Fallujah at the height of the war and see how well they handle the situation.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 09:54:37 am »

Good movie, but not Oscar award winning.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 10:04:39 am »

It certainly is black and white. I don't think anyone is using it as a statement for war. I don't think anyone is arguing for war.

I think some of the people that have made comments calling snipers cowards are pretty ignorant. Let's drop one of them into Fallujah at the height of the war and see how well they handle the situation.
I know a guy who said it is a proponent for war by showing the Iraqis as cold-blooded killers in the movie. I said if that is the case then the news must be nothing but ambassadors for the war on terrorism!!!

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 12:50:59 pm »

I know a guy who said it is a proponent for war by showing the Iraqis as cold-blooded killers in the movie. I said if that is the case then the news must be nothing but ambassadors for the war on terrorism!!!

The fact is that many (not all, not most) in the Muslim faith are fanatical about their religion and are willing to use women and children as they were used in the movie. That is not Hollywood fabrication. That it how it is in parts of those cultures.

The radical Islamists don't value life. They don't care about protecting the weak. They use what they need, whenever they need, to push their agenda. They are willing to use women and children as human shields.

They simply don't care.

Again... before someone starts flipping out about my "anti-Muslim" rant, I said many... not all, not most. The radical elements of the religion.

Call it what it is, radical Islam.

And by the way, ISIS just threatened to behead the President in the White House and turn America into a Muslim nation. Let's make sure we understand what we're dealing with here instead of glossing over it with politically correct drivel.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 12:52:58 pm by Rich » Logged
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 01:38:05 pm »

I'm sure Kim Jong-Un also makes a bunch of threats that he has no ability to carry out.

Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 02:18:56 pm »

Not surprising.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 03:43:59 pm »

So ISIS, a regional faction with no demonstrated ability to project power across the globe, has threatened to turn the 330 million citizens of America into Muslims.  And your position is that we should treat this as a credible threat.  Because Christianity is on the verge of being stomped out in America (by Islam) if we are not diligent!

I'm always fascinated by the right's obsession with terminology.  We must call this radical Islam.  We must say this is terrorism.  No, our actual course of action won't change one bit, but it's very important to make sure that we use the word "Islam" in these discussions.

However, when abortion clinics are bombed, religion is not at all important and how dare you bring Christianity into this and why are you changing the subject from violent religious fanatics?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 03:47:35 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 04:30:49 pm »

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:32:22 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2015, 04:31:43 pm »

So ISIS, a regional faction with no demonstrated ability to project power across the globe, has threatened to turn the 330 million citizens of America into Muslims.  And your position is that we should treat this as a credible threat.  Because Christianity is on the verge of being stomped out in America (by Islam) if we are not diligent!

I'm always fascinated by the right's obsession with terminology.  We must call this radical Islam.  We must say this is terrorism.  No, our actual course of action won't change one bit, but it's very important to make sure that we use the word "Islam" in these discussions.

However, when abortion clinics are bombed, religion is not at all important and how dare you bring Christianity into this and why are you changing the subject from violent religious fanatics?
Spider I know your not too worried about them flying in and taking over but they don't have to. Muslims are taking over from the inside out and that is exactly what they are talking about. They do not need to invade. In the last 15 years we have gone from publicly celebrating Jesus Christ at Christmas to celebrating Eid al-Fitr in public parks. In fact, although 75% of the country considers itself Christian but quoting the Bible has become offensive and prejudice. Workers in businesses are forced to take Muslim sensitivity training but are everyone is free to poke fun and ridicule, slander and intimidate Christians.  

It's funny that Christian extremists are arrested by other Christians all the time but people act as if they are acting on behalf 75% of the country to try and avoid the real issues at hand ... as you are doing now. Can't remember ever witnessing a crusade on the news but I be damned if i don't see Muslim extremist on a daily basis. In fact it's pretty rare to see an abortion clinic be attacked ... thank God.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:33:40 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2015, 04:44:40 pm »

This post is a perfect example of what I meant in the other thread about you having no interest in having a civil discussion.

In this post, you took something I never said and attributed it to me.

So ISIS, a regional faction with no demonstrated ability to project power across the globe, has threatened to turn the 330 million citizens of America into Muslims.  And your position is that we should treat this as a credible threat.

Nowhere in my post did I say the would actually take over the White House and behead Obama and turn the United States into a caliphate... but, ridiculously, this is what you somehow took out of it.

Then you comfortably correlated my comments with the "right" and referenced "Christianity" as if only neocons and right wingers feel this way about radical Islamists. Hint, they're not the only ones.

It may come as a suprise to you that I am Agnostic and socially liberal on most issues and that I generally detest religion overall. That's OK, I will give that a minute to sink in. I know it is hard for you to process because in your mind everyone can be dropped into specific buckets based on their opinion of one issue. If you think X about guns, then you must think Y about war, religion, abortion, gay marriage, legalizing marijuana, etc etc etc. I guess in your "world" broad swaths of grey do not exist.

In your anxious, generic rebuttal to what I didn't say, you totally missed the point of what I did say, demonstrating that your active listening (reading) skills are sorely lacking and your mind is as closed as a needle head.

If you want to have an intelligent discussion, stick to what is actually being said and address the poster and their message rather than jumping into your usual stereotypes, categorizations, total twisting of what is being said and condescending dismissal of any opinion that doesn't jive with yours.

Have a nice day.
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2015, 04:50:14 pm »

Muslims are taking over from the inside out and that is exactly what they are talking about.

This is a right wing lie.

Entire Muslim neighborhoods where police do not enter because they cannot control them do not exist in Europe and one of the most popular names for babies in England is not Muhammad.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2015, 05:40:16 pm »

To be fair the only times quoting the bible is prejudiced and offensive is when the prejudiced and offensive parts are quoted .. otherwise I'm pretty ok with live and let live.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray