Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:08:51 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  What should the NFL do about Patriots cheating?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Print
Author Topic: What should the NFL do about Patriots cheating?  (Read 74830 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2015, 04:35:04 pm »

I'm thinking the precedent has already been set. Sean Payton was suspended for a year for not putting a stop to bounties after he had been warned against them. I don't see how this is much different in fact I think it's worse since Belicheck was already fined and lost draft picks once for cheating which is a heck of lot stronger than a warning. In my opinion a second offense of cheating has to carry a larger punishment. 1 year suspension and if he's caught cheating again lifetime ban from coaching in the NFL. That should get Belicheck to stop pushing the boundaries or if not then he'll be out of coaching in the NFL.

Honestly, this is for his own good. Belicheck is making a mockery of what has been a stellar career other than these blemishes on his resume. When other NFL Hall of fame coaches start poking fun at you for cheating, you need to realize something is very very wrong.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2015, 05:13:34 pm »

So, more detail:

Gerry Austin, longtime referee, says halftime Pats-Colts footballs brought in, checked at half. Colts footballs still legal. Pats were not.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 05:22:39 pm »

Penalties:

$1 million dollar fine.

Loss of 1st & 2nd round draft picks.

Belichick & Brady both suspended for four games next year.

One other Starter has to go out for a night of partying with Aaron Hernandez.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 05:25:38 pm »

It's coming out now that the NFL was aware of New England being accused of this prior to that game even being played so they were supposedly already being watched. There is no way Belichick doesn't get some serious time off and I'm guessing Kraft would support that. He's been behind the big push for integrity in the game.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 05:28:20 pm »

I still don't get how this gives them an advantage

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2015, 05:33:53 pm »

I believe, and I could be wrong, a less inflated ball is easier to hold onto. So with the great run game the Pats have, try and make a guy fumble who is holding onto a deflated ball.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 05:40:36 pm »

^^ its also easier to throw and catch.  In short, its easier to grip because it has some give to it.

Considering Brady's horrible start, it wouldn't surprise me if this was the answer to the "sky is falling" mentality after week 4, which signified the Patriots' magical turnaround.  In his first 4 games, Brady averaged 59% completion, 197 yards per game, 1 TD and 1/2 INT per game, 79.1 QBR.  Since then, 65%, 276 yds per game, 2 TD, 1/2 INT, 103 QBR.  Production drastically improved...? 

Total speculation, but if the ball is easier to hold, does that show why Brady's numbers improved so drastically, practically overnight?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 05:44:57 pm by Brian Fein » Logged
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2015, 05:46:09 pm »

^^ its also easier to throw and catch.  In short, its easier to grip because it has some give to it.

Considering Brady's horrible start, it wouldn't surprise me if this was the answer to the "sky is falling" mentality after week 4, which signified the Patriots' magical turnaround.  In his first 4 games, Brady averaged 59% completion, 197 yards per game, 1 TD and 1/2 INT per game, 79.1 QBR.  Since then, 65%, 276 yds per game, 2 TD, 1/2 INT, 103 QBR.  Production drastically improved...? 

Total speculation, but if the ball is easier to hold, does that show why Brady's numbers improved so drastically, practically overnight?

Aren't the balls supposed to be inspected before each game?

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2015, 07:02:01 pm »

Yes, and all the balls passed said inspection.  Yet at halftime, the Colts' balls were still in compliance, while the Patriots' were not.

Therefore...

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 08:23:37 pm »

2nd offense pf cheating that we know of and Sean Payton had to miss a season for the bounty scandal.

I can see any outcome from the league, but I don't know how you can justify anything other than a loss of several draft picks and a year long suspension for Belichick. Nothing for Brady as you really can't prove he knew or did anything. Throw in a $1 Million fine.

NFL is probably praying that the Seahawks win so that they don't have to suspend and fine the Superbowl winners.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2015, 09:24:50 pm »

Idk, to me this sounds like the Simpsons episode where Bart drops the fly ball, and later in the episode somebody says, "They dusted home plate with a non-regulation brush so we have to replay the last inning all over again.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 12:53:29 am »

Idk, to me this sounds like the Simpsons episode where Bart drops the fly ball, and later in the episode somebody says, "They dusted home plate with a non-regulation brush so we have to replay the last inning all over again.

While I am all for punishing the Patriots whenever possible (see my previous comment about decapitation), this situation reminds me of one of my all-time favorite comic strips. It was a 4-panel episode of a comic that used to appear in the old Stars and Stripes military newspaper, called Corporal Quibley. Like Charlie Brown, Corporal Quibley had a dog who voiced his thoughts via a little bubble over his head. In the first panel, Cpl Quibley and his army buddy were walking back home from a softball game, cleats hanging off their softball bats over their shoulder, with the dog walking behind them.

Quibley starts by saying "I've never seen the umpire make so many lousy calls."
His buddy replies "I've never seen the sun so bright in left field."
Quibley retorts "I've never seen so many rocks in the infield."
They go back and forth a few times, trading excuses.
In the last panel, you see the dog walking behind them, thinking out loud: "I've never seen anyone get beat by 70 runs before."

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 01:30:42 am »

What actual advantage did the Patriots gain by illegally taping from their sideline?  They have access to hours upon hours of game footage from multiple angles via the TV feeds.

And yet Spygate was still considered a big deal.

MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 06:05:46 am »

If it's not an advantage then why did they do it?
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2015, 09:26:06 am »

You're missing the point if you think it really didn't give them an advantage in the game. The thing is that Brady and Belicheck thought BEFORE THE GAME that it was going to give them an advantage. That is enough. The thought that they were gaining an advantage by doing it is enough to punish them severely. Had the game ended 21-20 then NO ONE would be questioning whether or not it's a big deal. It IS a big deal because when they did it the score was 0-0 and they had no way of knowing that they were going to win by 38. If they did they wouldn't have risked it. Brady and Belicheck were worried enough about the outcome of the game that they risked everything to tilt the field in their favor. If that doesn't tell you how big a deal it is then you have never played a sport in your life.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray