Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:40:29 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Johnny Football
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Johnny Football  (Read 14959 times)
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 12:18:36 am »

I think throwing twice as many tds as ints is pretty good.

Also, 6 ints in 14 games?  That's less than half a pick per game.

Not to mention his rushing prowess

I didn't mention his won-loss record that year because I believe football is a team sport and to compare quarterbacks by their won loss records is ludicrous because it overlooks the fact that one quarterback may have received more support from his teammates than another.  Not to mention a quarterback can't control if his opponent will do dumb things.  However, it's odd how everybody always says Brady is the best all-time because of his playoff wins. 

Yep....Low Football IQ once again on display
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2015, 12:10:30 pm »

He is already the next Tim Tebow

Yep. Two party animals who will eventually have serious off the field issues.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 07:17:49 am »

Josh McCown signed with the Browns last night.

Looks like Brian Hoyer to the Texans as his time in Cleveland is now over. He will reunite with O'Brien

And the Jets/Bills are offering whatever they can to Tampa Bay now in a trade for Mike Glennon
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 05:06:33 pm »

I think throwing twice as many tds as ints is pretty good.

Also, 6 ints in 14 games?  That's less than half a pick per game.

Not to mention his rushing prowess

I didn't mention his won-loss record that year because I believe football is a team sport and to compare quarterbacks by their won loss records is ludicrous because it overlooks the fact that one quarterback may have received more support from his teammates than another.  Not to mention a quarterback can't control if his opponent will do dumb things.  However, it's odd how everybody always says Brady is the best all-time because of his playoff wins. 

You are ignoring the fact the Broncos won against the weak part of their schedule, and the defense came alive at that time frame. Prater had as much or more for those victories than Tebow did.
Let us not forget that the Steelers limped into the playoffs, and Tebow dumped off a pass to Thomas, who then made a fantastic 80yd run, including breaking tackles, for the win.
Revisionism will not change the fact Tebow could not beat out Sanchez. If he could legitimately QB in the NFL, he would still have a job.

p.s. His college coach said that Tebow won at Florida because he was surrounded by top talent.
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 02:32:01 am »

Browns are gonna be on HARD KNOCKS this year
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2015, 08:08:33 am »

p.s. His college coach said that Tebow won at Florida because he was surrounded by top talent.
So now Tebow wasn't even a good college player? C'mon smooth ... you're better than that.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2015, 10:13:55 am »

Revisionism will not change the fact Tebow could not beat out Sanchez.

That would be relevant if the Jets were not a completely dysfunctional organization.  Sanchez beat out Tebow b/c Sanchez was an overpaid first round draft pick.  Benching Sanchez for Tebow would be an admission that they traded up for the 6th pick was a mistake.

Much the same way the Jets kept Joe "throw up" McKnight and cut Danny "UDFA" Woodhead.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2015, 03:08:55 pm »

So now Tebow wasn't even a good college player? C'mon smooth ... you're better than that.

I did not say that. Urban Meyer said Tebow shined because he was surrounded by talent at Florida. Perhaps his former coach, and the NFL teams have realized something that his fans have not? Maybe Tebow needs other talent to perform at a high level consistently.
I think Tebow has the athletic skill to be a starting TE or FB in the NFL..
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2015, 04:20:09 pm »

^ I hear that about TE or FB, but you don't just become a TE at the highest level in the world after never playing the position before.  It's his body type, but do we know if he can catch, run routes, etc?  Tebow was an option QB that was just bigger and better and faster than his opponents.  He's a great college-type player, but in the NFL, the same things don't work and you have to rely on your ability to drop back, make reads, and deliver the ball.  Tebow isnt' capable of that part of the job -- the biggest part.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2015, 04:25:16 pm »

I did not say that. Urban Meyer said Tebow shined because he was surrounded by talent at Florida. Perhaps his former coach, and the NFL teams have realized something that his fans have not? Maybe Tebow needs other talent to perform at a high level consistently.
I think Tebow has the athletic skill to be a starting TE or FB in the NFL..
I think you are reading too much into Meyer's comments. He didn't say he shined "because" of it. In the same interview he says he doesn't understand why he's not in the NFL, that he is "the second-most efficient passer ever to play college football" and that he is "he's such a good player".

I still don't get that part of it," Meyer said Tuesday at Big Ten Media Days. "He's the second-most efficient passer ever to play college football."....

"He had really good personnel around him (at Florida) and we utilized his skill very well," Meyer said. "I think in a traditional setting, it is difficult, but there's a lot of non-traditional offenses now in the NFL."...

"He'll be successful in whatever he does, but he's such a good player," Meyer said. "I just wish it would work out for him."

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2015, 05:04:44 pm »

^ I hear that about TE or FB, but you don't just become a TE at the highest level in the world after never playing the position before. 
Not to play the race card, but there are an awful lot of black college QBs who are asked to switch to WR upon being drafted (and a few white ones, like Julian Edelman).

I think it would be a hell of a lot easier to switch to TE than WR.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2015, 07:23:58 pm »

I would think it would be more difficult because of having to learn blocking techniques as well as the receiver aspect.
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2015, 07:51:53 pm »

^ I hear that about TE or FB, but you don't just become a TE at the highest level in the world after never playing the position before.  It's his body type, but do we know if he can catch, run routes, etc?  Tebow was an option QB that was just bigger and better and faster than his opponents.  He's a great college-type player, but in the NFL, the same things don't work and you have to rely on your ability to drop back, make reads, and deliver the ball.  Tebow isnt' capable of that part of the job -- the biggest part.

As a running QB, he could probably transition into FB easier.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2015, 07:52:51 pm »

Not to play the race card, but there are an awful lot of black college QBs who are asked to switch to WR upon being drafted (and a few white ones, like Julian Edelman).

I don't think it is racial at all.  Typically the best athlete on the team plays qb and pitcher even if that wouldn't be his most natural position.  So guys who are a natural rb, te or wr windup playing qb even though they would be even better somewhere else, bc along with being the teams best wr they are also the team's best qb

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2015, 07:53:11 pm »

I would think it would be more difficult because of having to learn blocking techniques as well as the receiver aspect.

Not all TE's are good at blocking. Some are just glorified WR's.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray