Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2026, 06:21:04 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Marvel's Daredevil
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Marvel's Daredevil  (Read 4831 times)
VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 1334



« on: April 13, 2015, 12:44:59 pm »

I'm not going to get into too much and ruin things since I don't know where others may be in the series.

What I will say is that I like how they do the background/origin story. The opening sequence in the first episode was really cool. In fact, all the fight scenes, IMO were 'realistic' (in as much as they can be in a comic book movie) and well done. I like the close quarters fighting.

I also like all the Easter eggs and Marvel stuff hidden throughout.

Haven't finished all 10 yet, but will shortly.
Logged

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
Tenshot13
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 8078


Email
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 12:52:38 pm »

I'm not going to get into too much and ruin things since I don't know where others may be in the series.

What I will say is that I like how they do the background/origin story. The opening sequence in the first episode was really cool. In fact, all the fight scenes, IMO were 'realistic' (in as much as they can be in a comic book movie) and well done. I like the close quarters fighting.

I also like all the Easter eggs and Marvel stuff hidden throughout.

Haven't finished all 10 yet, but will shortly.

Fantastic show.  I think I'm episode 7 or 8.  Some of my favorite moments without spoiling:

--Hallway fight scene
--Car door scene
--End of the episode with the red haired guy in the bowling alley
--Stick

It can be slow at times, but it's always setting something up.  Very true to the comic book.
Logged
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 31366

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 01:31:57 pm »

I had no intention of binging this, but I ended up watching all 13 episodes in 3 days. 

I think that this show might change TV.  It's grown up.  It's not a stupid story of fighting a different villain each episode.  There is no stupid love interest bullshit.  There are real consequences.  Nobody is trying to take over the world -- it's all in a small block, which makes you care about the characters.

More than all that, though, is that this show really highlights how dumb other shows are: Arrow, Flash, Agents of SHIELD, Gotham -- they are aimless.  There are too many episodes and they are lowest common denominator entertainment.  This is still very much a super-hero show and it fits in with these others, but they just don't waste time with useless crap.  They tell a good story arc over 13 episodes and get out.  I finish this excited for more if they make more, but not where I need more.  They told a story.  I highly recommend and I hope that we see more TV like this.
Logged

I drink your milkshake!
VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 1334



« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 04:48:03 pm »

Hallway Fight Scene... NICE!
Logged

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 31366

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 04:50:48 pm »

There are two aspects I didn't love:

Even though I liked the portrayal of Kingpin from a writing perspective and even his portrayal as being a bit damaged and sensitive, I thought the actual voice that Donoffrio used was odd.  It sounded like he was speaking in a fake voice.

And though it was only in the show for 5 minutes, I don't love the finished outfit. 

But who really cares about either of these things...
Logged

I drink your milkshake!
Buddhagirl
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 4930



« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 05:50:42 pm »

I started watching yesterday. Think I'm on episode 4 or so. I honestly don't have an opinion on it yet. It seems ok. I do like that he's not independently wealthy, etc. It's nice to see people that need to work and make money.
Logged

"Well behaved women seldom make history."
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 23028

Do you know what I am saying?


Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 05:05:09 pm »


I'm at episode 4, and am absolutely loving it so far. There is a sense of realism to it that is - understandably - often missing from comic-based stories. Really-really love the fight scenes...

Logged

"No more yankie my wankie. The Donger need food!"
~Long Duk Dong
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 23028

Do you know what I am saying?


Email
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 04:03:46 pm »


Well, I spread it out, a couple of episodes per week, and finally wrapped up season one last night. I really-really-really enjoyed this series, and am looking forward to season two. I'm thinking that Mama Gau has got to be the big villain in season two, which leads me to believe that the new season will get more into the supernatural "cosmic battle of good vs evil" aspects.

Two other shows that I am currently working on, at the same "couple of episodes per week" pace: Marco Polo and DaVinci's Demons. Both are pretty solid so far.

Two others on my "Gonna start them shortly" list: Orphan Black and Penny Dreadful



 
Logged

"No more yankie my wankie. The Donger need food!"
~Long Duk Dong
Tenshot13
Uber Member
*****
Posts: 8078


Email
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 07:02:26 pm »

Marco Polo was pretty good. I really like Penny Dreadful.  Weirdest show I've seen in quite some time.
Logged
mboss
YJFF Member
Senior Member
*****
Posts: 259



Email
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2015, 01:59:09 pm »

Well, I spread it out, a couple of episodes per week, and finally wrapped up season one last night. I really-really-really enjoyed this series, and am looking forward to season two. I'm thinking that Mama Gau has got to be the big villain in season two, which leads me to believe that the new season will get more into the supernatural "cosmic battle of good vs evil" aspects.

Two other shows that I am currently working on, at the same "couple of episodes per week" pace: Marco Polo and DaVinci's Demons. Both are pretty solid so far.

Two others on my "Gonna start them shortly" list: Orphan Black and Penny Dreadful
Orphan black season 1 was REALLY good, it starts to lose a little luster as you get through season 2 but still pretty good. Fantastic acting by the lead actress Tatiana Maslay.
Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray


Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines