Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:48:27 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Game of Thrones
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 7761 times)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« on: April 14, 2015, 05:10:53 pm »

I know we have more than a few GoT fans on this board, so wanted to get a thread up to chat about it. One of the biggest developments so far are the "leaked episodes." Apparently, HBO let some media types have copis of the first four episodes in advance, so they could write reviews, etc... Well, as could be expected, someone leaked those first four episodes to some streaming sites, making it possible for us fans to get a little headstart.

After marathon watching episodes 2-4 yesterday, all I can say is that Season 5 is shaping up to be as good as any of the preceding seasons, if not better. Episode 1 was a little slow, as it sort of set the table, but the action comes hot and heavy in the next 3.

The downside of watching the leaked episodes...now I have to wait a full month before I get to see a fresh GoT episode.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 01:15:18 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 05:13:15 pm »

I couldn't do that to myself. I heard about the leaks but I refuse to actually know what happens in them. Waiting a week is too long as is, I couldn't wait an entire month. You're a mad man.   Cheesy
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 05:15:26 pm »

I couldn't do that to myself. I heard about the leaks but I refuse to actually know what happens in them. Waiting a week is too long as is, I couldn't wait an entire month. You're a mad man.   Cheesy

It's like a crack pipe. Sure, one hit can get ya high, but if you take that first hit, and the pipe is still there with the rock smoldering, you take another hit, and then another and another...and then you call for pizza. Grin

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 05:23:13 pm »

I've read the books, so I have to wait for the show to catch up to me.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 06:05:29 pm »

It's like a crack pipe. Sure, one hit can get ya high, but if you take that first hit, and the pipe is still there with the rock smoldering, you take another hit, and then another and another...and then you call for pizza. Grin

I think you have your types of pipes confused.

I also haven't even tried to look for the leaked episodes. I don't want to wait a month either.

As for episode 1, I really wanted to start a thread myself but I agree it was a bit slow so I didn't take the time.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 06:09:05 pm »

I have decided not to watch the leaked episodes so that I can enjoy the slow burn.  I enjoyed the first episode fine.  I think I'm OK with a "no surprises" episode here, because I needed a refresher on WTF was going on.  Noticeably absent: the kid who can sees through animal eyes (Warg?)

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 06:15:16 pm »

^^^ Bran Stark, technically the "real" first in line for the Lord of Winterfell position. I am surprised he wasn't involved in teh opener, as his meeting The Children and the three-eyed raven dude under the tree was a pretty intriguing storyline at the end of last season.

~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 06:16:38 pm »

Funny you say that: That storyline is probably my most WTF of everything going on. 

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 07:26:00 pm »

I have heard that Bran will not play a part in Season 5, as the book storyline for him has stalled at roughly the same point that the TV show is at.

That being said, after watching the first 4 episodes, they are already making some rather significant departures from the books.  I had read that GRRM said that the TV show and the books will be diverging, but I didn't know it would be this serious.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 08:16:11 pm »

I think you have your types of pipes confused.

I have to admit that my experience smoking crack cocaine (1 time) is far less than my experience smoking pot (11,326,473 times). Don't crack smokers get the munchies?

I've got the first five books, but they sit on my shelf, unread. I bought the first 4 halfway through season 2, and got the 5th about a year ago. I decided that I would wait and watch the HBO version all the way through, and then take on the books afterward.

I have heard that Bran will not play a part in Season 5, as the book storyline for him has stalled at roughly the same point that the TV show is at.

The Bran storyline seems like the type that could come in as part of some big "this is what's been happening behind the scenes whilst the petty Kings & Queens were squabbling" plot line in either book 6 or 7. I hope so anyway, as I consider those evil white walking bastards to be an even bigger threat than anything going on right now.  Magic, imo, is much scarier than swords...

~ Micah Leggat
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 08:48:40 pm »

I tried not to watch the leaks, but I'm weak.  It's like putting your Xmas presents out on December 1st and trying not to open them for another 24 days.  I couldn't make it that long.  I am trying to space them a little tiny bit by only watching one every other day or so.  Roll Eyes  I'll probably do ep.3 after SHIELD tonight because daddy needs another hit.  I figure I'll just dive head first into Daredevil to fill the rest of that empty space.

It's going to be a tough season without Hodor, though.  I hope he's not freezing his Hodors off north of the wall waiting for next season.
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 09:34:03 pm »

I saw an article a little bit ago that said that the directors are not following the book anymore, not even a little. It said that those who read the books are going to be in the dark just like those people who have never read the books.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 05:31:40 am »

One of the main characters, Jaime IIRC, stated in an interview that his character wouldn't be following the book this season. Jaime already diverged in some ways from the book, so that's not really a surprise.

On the other hand, the show has pretty much caught up to the books and there's precious little left for quite a few characters. Bran, Jon Snow, Sansa, Petyr Baelish... they're all pretty much wrapped as far as the book. The King's Landing crowd still has a ways to go, as does Theon, Tyrion, and Daenerys. Arya is probably the character with the most catching up to do. Brienne is hard to judge, since she's done things quite differently than in the book, but it seems like anything left has "passed by", so she'll have to continue doing things just a little differently.

Personally, I doubt there will be that much major divergence from the books. Martin is apparently pretty much done with the books, but hasn't put the manuscript together in final form (which HBO has to be thrilled about). Most of the "new stuff" in the TV show is almost certainly material pulled in from the unpublished parts.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 08:18:02 am »

I've only seen the first episode but I have to say the thought of my two favorite characters (Daenerys and Tyrion)  working together is a pretty interesting plot line. I do have to believe that in the end she will sit on the throne with her husband Jon Snow. Fire and Ice baby!! 

I would think Jon actually being a Targareon (the offspring of Prince Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark) would dispel that but on this show nothing stops relatives.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 08:22:54 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 09:19:09 am »

Targaryans in the books were well known to marry within the family anyways
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray