Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:17:08 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Game of Thrones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Game of Thrones  (Read 7780 times)
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2019, 11:14:14 am »

^Very broad notes, yes.  Things are already very different in the books than the show, plus the backlash of the show's ending.  

Book Spoilers:

For starters, there is another mysterious, young Targaryan around.  Caitlin (Lady Stoneheart now) is back from the dead like the flaming sword guy did, wanting revenge.  She's pretty much set up Brianne of Tarth to go kill Jamie as her duty to Caitlin, who wants all Lanisters dead.  Jon Snow just died and hasn't been brought back to life.  Sansa was never raped by Ramsey, they used a look a like to say they were married so the Boltons could keep Winterfell, but it wasn't Sansa, she's still with Littlefinger at the Vale.  Arya is still in training as a badassassin.  Euron Greyjoy is much, much crueler than any character they've had yet.  Pretty sure Stanis is still alive, and he never burned his daughter. 

He'll change stuff guaranteed.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 11:22:27 am by Tenshot13 » Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2019, 01:15:03 pm »

^ Isn't the HBO ending based on GRR's notes?
He said the other day his ending will be different. Well kind of. They asked if it would be different and he responded with "Well… yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes. And no. And yes." There were more yeses than nos ... LOL.

Aaron Rodgers, who also didn't like the ending, had a great perspective on the 'Bran" ending ...

“If Bran, the Three-Eyed Raven, who’s all about the health of the realm … let’s think about what he did: He basically wanted the throne the whole time because he’s the one who told the Starks, knowing that Sansa would tell Tyrion, knowing Tyrion would talk to Varys, knowing they’d scheme for Daenerys’ death, knowing that would piss her off, which led her to be the mad queen. So he, the entire time set this whole thing up? And at the end he goes, ‘Oh, I don’t want to be king, but why’d I travel all this time to be here?’ ”

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2019, 08:49:37 pm »

Since when does Bran know the future?  The Three-Eyed Raven can only see the past and present.

That's why this season was so poorly written.

stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2019, 09:51:00 pm »

I’m someone who would much rather read the book than see the movie. And if I’ve see the movie, I won’t read the book, and vice versa. I’ve heard a lot of good things about the books, and if the author ever finishes the series I’ll read it. So I’ve stayed away from the tv show. Does anyone who’s read the books think that it’s worth the wait?

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2019, 10:18:12 am »

I don't know if it'll be any good, but they should make a West of Westeros pirate show with Arya.  A lot of people are already calling for it, and I'd check it out.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2019, 10:46:18 am »

I’m someone who would much rather read the book than see the movie. And if I’ve see the movie, I won’t read the book, and vice versa. I’ve heard a lot of good things about the books, and if the author ever finishes the series I’ll read it. So I’ve stayed away from the tv show. Does anyone who’s read the books think that it’s worth the wait?

I've read the books and seen the show. I would normally always recommend reading the book(s) first, then watching and try never to do it the other way around. There is just so much more going on in one's own head than when watching a movie. Game of Thrones might just be an exception, though, and I don't think I would mind reading the books after having watched the show.

It's really hard to compare the TV show with the books. Not only are there are A LOT of changes as mentioned by Tenshot above, but just the shear amount of material in the books has meant that a lot of things were just left out completely. There are complete story arcs that are just never mentioned in the show. And some of the things that happen in the show don't really make a lot of sense if you consider those story arcs.

Personally, I though they made the season too short. There was just so much to do and without more time, they had to just cram it all in there. And that really hurt the ending.

If you look at the books and the first 5-6 seasons of the show, the big setup was for the fight against the Night King and his White Walkers. Winter is Coming, and all that. But the show (and books, eventually) also needed to wrap up what happens with the Iron Throne afterwards (unless the Night King wins and everyone dies), which necessitate  to a second big climax.

Without sufficient time, they pretty much scrapped the first climax and just focused on the second, inferior climax (at least judging by the prior seasons).

I would much rather have seen a couple more shows in each of the last two seasons, with a good part of the extra time spent having the White Walkers wash all over the North.

Just killing off the whole "Winter is Coming" in one (very dark) episode just didn't sit well with me and I think that's one of the things that will change in the books.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray