Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:29:41 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  We finally have a Triple Crown winner in this lifetime
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: We finally have a Triple Crown winner in this lifetime  (Read 10981 times)
ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« on: June 06, 2015, 10:12:50 pm »

Last time a horse won the Triple Crown, I was just a kid.  Great to see American Pharaoh do what a slew of other horses could not. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 07:48:48 am by ArtieChokePhin » Logged
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 10:44:50 am »

I don't mean to be a dismissive dick, but does anyone ACTUALLY care about this?  I mean...yeah, it's kinda cool to see something that's rare like this, but does anyone watch or follow horse-racing anymore?  Does it have a fanbase?

I drink your milkshake!
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 10:58:45 am »

I don't mean to be a dismissive dick, but does anyone ACTUALLY care about this?  I mean...yeah, it's kinda cool to see something that's rare like this, but does anyone watch or follow horse-racing anymore?  Does it have a fanbase?

Fanbase isn't huge but bigger than you probably think.  It has a "niche" fanbase (mainly degenerate gamblers) and there are pockets of the country where this is a huge deal and horse racing has a huge following.

If you go to a racetrack in the summer months the attendance would shock you. Hit an OTB on a random Saturday, it will be filled. I mean its not one of the 5 or 6 major sports in this country but it has a bigger fanbase than you think
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 11:11:51 am »

It's certainly a declining fan base, but to go out to the track to watch the races live it's a lot of fun, especially for the big races.  I think it's great that there is finally another Triple Crown winner, unfortunately I missed it, this was the first time in 15 years I didn't go to the Preakness.  I did win some money though.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 11:31:37 am »

I have a moral objection to horse racing but there are a lot of gamblers around me that pay attention to these three races. I didn't even know there had been a triple crown winner until about 2:30 in the morning.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 02:07:46 pm »

I don't give a damn about this personally, but my in-laws love the three big races.  My father-in-law was saying that it's a sham because the last two races had fields of 8 horses when it's normally like 12, so this horse didn't have a lot of competition. 
MikeO
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 02:25:01 pm »

My father-in-law was saying that it's a sham because the last two races had fields of 8 horses when it's normally like 12, so this horse didn't have a lot of competition. 

No competition, he faced a ton of competition. Tell your father in law that American Pharoah faced the 2nd most challengers in 3 triple crown races ever (31). Only War Admiral had more at 32 and won the Triple Crown.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 04:35:53 pm »

No competition, he faced a ton of competition. Tell your father in law that American Pharoah faced the 2nd most challengers in 3 triple crown races ever (31). Only War Admiral had more at 32 and won the Triple Crown.
If I care enough to tell him next time I see him, I will.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 08:26:30 am »

Our family does. The women have ridden English, western, dressage, etc. forever so whenever the big races are on you get phone calls to make sure you are watching. They get very excited over the whole deal. I don't mind them but wouldn't call myself a fan. Taking my wife to the Kentucky Derby is on our bucket list.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 08:59:13 am »

horse racing, dog racing, cock fighting, dog fighting

pass on all of those ...
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 09:15:58 am »

horse racing, dog racing, cock fighting, dog fighting

pass on all of those ...

jaywalking, spitting on the sidewalk, rape, murder.

I pass on all of those too, but I also usually avoid grouping them together, so that people don't mistakenly assume that I consider them to be equal offenses.

Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 09:39:55 am »

^^^ I'm not sure it is mistaken. I think he purposely lumped them together. I personally don't think it is quite as severe but as I mentioned I have an objection to the sport as well.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 09:51:13 am »

^^^ I'm not sure it is mistaken. I think he purposely lumped them together. I personally don't think it is quite as severe but as I mentioned I have an objection to the sport as well.

I was giving Fau the benefit of the doubt, as I see dog fighting as being worlds away from horse racing.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 10:49:25 am »

In my own family, my parents watch the big races.  But I feel like they do it for nostaligia and they only care about it for the 2 minutes it's on, and have no knowledge of the sport, the horses, or the jockeys prior or afterwards.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 11:00:04 am »

While I am not fanatical about it, I do usually watch the three triple crown races each year. I am, admittedly, a little biased towards horse racing, as we are all products of our upbringing. When I was a kid, one of my dad's more successful radio shows was "The Winner's Circle with Harry Stevens," so I spent more than a little bit of my childhood time at Prescott Downs, watching races, talking with trainers, jockeys and track staff. We also had horses when I was growing up, so being in the saddle in general, and racing against friends who also had horses were perfectly natural things for me.

~ Micah Leggat
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray