Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:59:54 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Windows 10
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 2498 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: July 31, 2015, 08:53:46 pm »

It's free, and pretty much available now.

I was on the fence, but decided to jump in.  Reading tests about it tells me that it's less intensive that Win 10 and uses about 100 fewer MB of memory than Win 7 on a 4GB Ram system, which I run.  These benchmarks aren't from Microsoft, but 3rd party websites.

I'm going to give it a shot.  I understand what they are doing with Win8 and 8.1, so I'm not freaked out by it, like I initially was.

Who is upgrading?

I drink your milkshake!
Dolphin-UK
Uber Member

I'm not going to type anything here....

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 06:09:33 am »

I'm going to give it until after my assignment is done, work colleagues are installing this weekend and I've heard suggestions it's a little buggy.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 07:47:16 am »

I already upgraded from Windows 8.1.  So far, so good.  It's like old versions of Windows with a new skin.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 11:37:20 am »

So far, I like the basic premise: It's windows 7, but the start menu is windows 8 app tiles.  The search feature is expanded to be be voice & text.  It's still pretty dumb and doesn't do what you want....similar to how Siri kinda sorta can answer your questions.

What I don't like is the integration of everything.  I don't really want all my stuff tied together with microsoft accounts and stuff.  I don't see a benefit to it yet, and it's kind of annoying that it wants me to log in to my online account just to use my own computer.

I drink your milkshake!
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 07:18:53 pm »

I reserved a copy for my surface pro 2 a couple of days ago so I'll give you my impressions when I can download it for that platform. I don't think my PC is genuine Windows 7 so I didn't bother reserving it for that.  Grin
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 10:40:07 am »

I'm of the mind "if it ain't broke..."

I like Win7, so upgrading for me is probably not likely unless something breaks.  On the other hand, my mom has a Win8 PC and I'm considering upgrading hers just because she can't really figure it out (and neither can I).

Do you think Win10 is better than Win8 for an old lady?
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 11:38:07 am »

After using it for a while now, it seems 10 runs faster than 8.
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 11:47:31 am »

so far .. windows 10 kicks ass .. way better than 8 as far as usability and it's faster than 7 hands down
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 04:42:20 pm »

Only complaint I have at this point is that my password manager doesn't yet "plugin" to Edge.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 04:12:04 pm »

I reserved a copy for my surface pro 2 a couple of days ago so I'll give you my impressions when I can download it for that platform. I don't think my PC is genuine Windows 7 so I didn't bother reserving it for that.  Grin

It doesn't matter -- they're upgrading stolen copies, too.  The idea is to get the app store in as many hands as possible.

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 04:13:58 pm »

I'm of the mind "if it ain't broke..."

I like Win7, so upgrading for me is probably not likely unless something breaks.  On the other hand, my mom has a Win8 PC and I'm considering upgrading hers just because she can't really figure it out (and neither can I).

Do you think Win10 is better than Win8 for an old lady?

I wasn't going to upgrade for the same reasons, Brian.  But it's free and it's faster.

If you can use Win7, Win10 is essentially the same. 
Imagine that you took the features of Windows 8 (that tile system) and incorporated them into the start menu instead of replacing the desktop.

You can choose not to use them and the computer will work pretty much like 7 does now.  ...except it uses about 100 MB Ram less for a 4 gig system, so your stuff will run faster.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 04:36:49 pm »

I usually on a work PC or a mobile device. I won't be upgrading anything.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray