Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:34:52 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Jonathan Martin shares personal pain, admits multiple suicide attempts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Jonathan Martin shares personal pain, admits multiple suicide attempts  (Read 3727 times)
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« on: August 26, 2015, 01:09:12 pm »

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/26/jonathan-martin-shares-personal-pain-admits-multiple-suicide-attempts/

Jonathan Martin hadn’t said anything about his departure from the Panthers and the NFL, and little about his days with the Dolphins since he was in the middle of the Richie Incognito bullying scandal.

But the former Dolphins and 49ers tackle wrote a heartfelt message this morning on social media this morning, expressing the pain he felt from his high school days to his NFL career.

“Your job leads you to attempt to kill yourself multiple times,” he wrote.

The message traces his unhappiness to his early days, when he never felt like he fit in at private schools in California, saying he never felt “black enough” and wasn’t accepted by either white or black classmates.

He said that led to to drinking too much, smoking marijuana “constantly” and other bad behavior, but clearly he wasn’t comfortable with the persona he created to tried to fit into the football culture.

But he also ended the note with gratitude, and an offering to others who might feel similarly.

“You realize who truly has had your back,” he wrote. “Who the people are who you need to embrace. And cherish every moment you have with them. You let your demons go, knowing that, perhaps, sharing your story can help some other chubby, goofy, socially isolated sensitive kid getting bullied in America who feels like no one in the world cares about them.

“And let them know you’re not alone.”

While Incognito’s busy working for the Bills, Martin continued to work in silence, which was his right. But Wednesday, he chose to break his silence with a powerful message.

So Incognito was pretty much railroaded because Martin is a head case.  I think this is something everyone knew, but it still pisses me off.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 01:41:21 pm »

Incognito was also railroaded because he's a horrible person.  Don't forget that part.

If Martin had never played a down in the NFL, Incognito would still be a terrible human being.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 01:56:15 pm »

Incognito was also railroaded because he's a horrible person.  Don't forget that part.

If Martin had never played a down in the NFL, Incognito would still be a terrible human being.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but being a horrible person is subjective.  Some would say he's old school.

But yes, I'm sure it was easy to make an example of him due to his past.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 05:29:34 pm »

I'd take Richie back on the Dolphins right this second.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 05:57:45 pm »

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 06:59:03 pm »

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but being a horrible person is subjective.  Some would say he's old school.
Incognito is a horrible person relative to other football players, irrespective of time period.

Of the 5 teams Incognito has been on in college and the NFL, Incognito has been let go from 4 of them due to his sociopathic behavior.  This isn't a case of "Where there's smoke, there's fire"; this is a case of "Where there are enormous white-hot flames, there's fire."

ArtieChokePhin
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 07:10:20 pm »

I hope you're not serious
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 07:21:23 pm »

I can't hold this in any longer, I need to ask it.

Given the amount of criticism Martin has faced on social media and on this site, I have to ask, does that mean that Richie Incognito did was justified?  And if so, should it be allowed at other jobs, or just football and sports?

I am glad Richie Incognito has been given another chance to play.  He deserves to be able to work and support himself and his family.  He served the penalty for his infractions. 

But should he not have been disciplined at all?  Should what he did to Martin be considered acceptable?  It seems like a contradiction to say Richie Incognito was wrong to do what he did, and then criticize Martin?

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 03:36:51 pm »

I hope you're not serious
I'd take him as well. I wouldn't want him to marry my daughter but I'd have no issue with him wearing a Dolphins jersey. Asshole maybe but he didn't break any laws.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 04:14:28 pm »

Martin just doesn't have the mental toughness to make it in the NFL, he would be gone even if Incognito wasn't such an a$$ to him.  It's evident from his own words that he had self esteem issues long before Incognito.  As to Incognito he wasn't railroaded, he's been given plenty of chances on teams and continues to screw up.  He doesn't deserve the privilege of playing in the NFL.  I'm sure he'll be a good boy this season, and probably half way through next season, but then he'll screw up again; he just can't help himself.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 04:27:04 pm »

Martin wasn't going to make it anywhere.

Incognito is a headcase meathead with a history of problems everywhere he goes.

These two probably just exposed each other faster than they otherwise would have.  Richie's actions were not justified, but would've probably gone on unreported.  Martin would've lasted a bit longer in other locker rooms without a Richie, but couldn't cut it and eventually was going to fall apart.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 11:54:05 am »

I agree with Dave. 

This story doesn't exonerate Incognito. 

Two thing have been obvious all along: 1) Martin had a harder time adapting to the NFL than most players; 2) Incognito's behavior was unacceptable in any workplace (on multiple occasions not just this one). 

Both of them need psychological help. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2015, 01:10:38 pm »

Jesus, Martin, you fatass.  You can't even kill yourself successfully.  Is there anything that you don't fail at? 
Love, Richie.   
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 01:19:24 pm »

I'd take him as well. I wouldn't want him to marry my daughter but I'd have no issue with him wearing a Dolphins jersey. Asshole maybe but he didn't break any laws.

I'm sorta, kinda, maybe with you on this.  The NFL has a lot of assholes in it.  The combination of macho guys in a macho sport making a lot of money results in an "industry" that has a higher percentage of assholes than just about any other industry.  If being an asshole was a dealbreaker for being an NFL player, teams would have a hard time filling their rosters.  So I'm not going to say no to someone on my team because they are an asshole.  Now here is my caveat that I issue with my statement.  If a guy is the kind of asshole who is a big distraction or a locker room cancer, then I don't want him.  But given how many convicted criminals are on NFL rosters, I would find it kind of silly to not place someone on your team just because they are an asshole unless they fall into the category of my previously mentioned caveat. Or if they are just more trouble than they are worth in terms of performance vs. hassles. 
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 05:41:07 pm »

Again, of the 5 teams Incognito has been on as an adult, 4 have decided that he's more trouble than he's worth.  Virtually all of his management has agreed that he is a legendary douchebag, even among a group of people not renowned for their fuzzy cuddliness.

i.e. it's not me, it's you
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 05:43:14 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray