Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:57:08 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Tannehill
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Print
Author Topic: Tannehill  (Read 47298 times)
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #225 on: January 21, 2016, 09:22:59 am »

Yes, "Dolphinanalyst", that's what I said, almost verbatim:

"With this newfangled definition of clutch, FootballOutsiders' own statistics are clutch-weighted"

I apologize.

So in the future, please consider that a portion of a post may have gone unread or misunderstood.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #226 on: January 21, 2016, 09:31:50 am »

Again, look at the talent those guys have been surrounded with.

There is normal variation in QBs' performances from year to year, presumably largely as a function of the talent and other situational variables around them (i.e., external factors).  Otherwise, they would perform roughly the same every year based on their own talent and characteristics (i.e., internal factors).

What we find, however, is that when you take a group of elite QBs and compare it to a group of mediocre QBs, the elite QBs' performances vary at a level significantly higher than the level at which the performances of the mediocre QBs vary.

So while surrounding talent and other external factors have their effects, the more significant effect on the QB's individual performance is determined by his own talent, or his own internal factors if you will.  The external factors (surrounding talent, coaching, strength of schedule, etc.) play a significantly lesser role in the QB's individual performance.

So with that finding, it becomes more difficult to attribute Ryan Tannehill's level of play to what's going on around him.  If he were more talented himself, then based on the finding above, he would likely be performing at a higher level individually, despite his surroundings.

I'd rather that finding be different, obviously, because it'd help me be more hopeful about Ryan Tannehill, but I'm not going to delude myself.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #227 on: January 21, 2016, 10:42:11 am »

OK - WE GET IT - YOU HATE RYAN TANNEHILL!!

Can we move on with our lives now?

Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #228 on: January 21, 2016, 11:34:43 am »

I don't understand why we need 16 pages of you cherry-picking statistics to make it seem like Ryan Tannehill is garbage, and that it is impossible to be successful with Ryan Tannehill.

Fact is - you DON'T KNOW that.  Statistics signify trends, but when you ignore the outliers, which you have done over and over, you just skew the results in your favor.  Its pointless.
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #229 on: January 21, 2016, 12:39:03 pm »

I don't understand why we need 16 pages of you cherry-picking statistics to make it seem like Ryan Tannehill is garbage, and that it is impossible to be successful with Ryan Tannehill.

Fact is - you DON'T KNOW that.  Statistics signify trends, but when you ignore the outliers, which you have done over and over, you just skew the results in your favor.  Its pointless.

Create a new forum. Call it JOKES and move this thread to it. Then only allow that one person trolling to forums to bash Tannehill to post there and take away his ability to post in other forums.

Those masochistic enough to want to have a discussion can join him there and the rest of us can live happily ever after.

Problem solved.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #230 on: January 21, 2016, 01:06:41 pm »

Create a new forum. Call it JOKES and move this thread to it. Then only allow that one person trolling to forums to bash Tannehill to post there and take away his ability to post in other forums.

Those masochistic enough to want to have a discussion can join him there and the rest of us can live happily ever after.

Problem solved.

Paranoid Rich is back! Cheesy
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #231 on: January 21, 2016, 01:16:18 pm »

If I skewed the results "in my favor," I'd be skewing them in favor of a conclusion that Ryan Tannehill is displaying talent consistent with a Super Bowl win, since as a fan of the Miami Dolphins since the early 1980s, that's what I've wanted.

For you to construe unfavorable results regarding Ryan Tannehill as being "in my favor" is sheer paranoia.
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #232 on: January 21, 2016, 01:24:50 pm »

Your argument for the last 16 pages of this thread has been "Ryan Tannehill isn't good enough"

Thus, "in your favor" quickly becomes "convince all these other people to agree with my stance (above)," so you can see how paranoia is not the right word...
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #233 on: January 21, 2016, 01:31:55 pm »

Your argument for the last 16 pages of this thread has been "Ryan Tannehill isn't good enough"

Thus, "in your favor" quickly becomes "convince all these other people to agree with my stance (above)," so you can see how paranoia is not the right word...

First, I don't give a shit who is convinced of what.  I'm 43 years old and I'm well aware by now that people think whatever the hell they want.  Christ, the guys who steered the airplanes into the World Trade Center thought that was the "right" thing to do.  Do you really think anybody is going to think differently about Ryan Tannehill if he doesn't want to?  I post information I find interesting and compelling, based on the information gathering and analytical methods I believe are the most rigorous available.  Do with it whatever you will, and in the end think whatever you want.  Again, I don't give a shit.

Second, how was this post of mine from another thread skewed?  This took a good solid couple hours of work on my part.

I'll give you the stats associated with that sort of thing as well.  Lest you fall asleep, i.e., the picture above, stay tuned -- the ending is quite good.

There was a 0.62 correlation between Football Outsiders' Adjusted Line Yards (a measure of offensive line play) and quarterbacks' DVOA.

If the Dolphins were to have the very best Adjusted Line Yards in the league, it would likely be associated with a change in Ryan Tannehill's DVOA from -10.6 (his 2015 value) to 12.61.

Based on the 2015 correlation between quarterbacks' DVOA and win percentage, that would likely be associated with a 51.5 win percentage, or roughly an 8-8 record.

So an improvement in the Dolphins' offensive line, such that the team would have the very best offensive line in the league, via its impact on Ryan Tannehill's play, would likely be associated with two more wins in a season.

Now, let's look at what's more likely.  Let's say the Dolphins' offensive line improves to one standard deviation above the league average in Adjusted Line Yards.  Less than the best in the league, but significantly above average if you will.

That would likely be associated with an increase in Ryan Tannehill's DVOA from -10.6 to 7.73, which would in turn likely be associated with a 48.6 win percentage, or, again, roughly an 8-8 record, or two more wins in a season.

Now, let's add an improvement in the Dolphins' offensive line play to one standard deviation above the league mean, to the effect on Ryan Tannehill produced by Adam Gase, which I illustrated in the second post in this thread (above).

That would boost Ryan Tannehill's DVOA to 28.25, which alone would likely be associated with a 61 win percentage, or just under a 10-6 record.

I'm sure that's the sort of boost in offensive performance the team will be looking for with whatever moves it makes in the offseason, including the hiring of Gase.  If you couple that sort of improvement on offense alone (to just under a 10-6 record) with improvement in the team's pass defense (which was poor in 2015), a playoff season certainly isn't unlikely by any means.

There are a lot of "ifs" in that equation, obviously, but this team can go from 6-10 to 11-5 with significant improvements in Tannehill (via the presence of Gase), the offensive line, and the pass defense.

Please, focus on the information and the team, and leave me out of it.  The paranoid nonsense is sickening.
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #234 on: January 21, 2016, 01:51:25 pm »

First, I don't give a shit who is convinced of what.

And yet four forums later, here you are with the same schtick. If you don't care, don't share.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #235 on: January 21, 2016, 01:52:55 pm »

And yet four forums later, here you are with the same schtick. If you don't care, don't share.

Is information sharing only for the purpose of convincing others of things, paranoid Rich? Roll Eyes
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #236 on: January 21, 2016, 02:00:59 pm »

Is information sharing only for the purpose of convincing others of things, paranoid Rich? Roll Eyes

You either usually share information because people have requested it (no one here has or cares for what you want to share) or to make an argument. Every time someone gives an opinion on Tannehill that you disagree with, you jump in and present the information you want to present to counter that argument and has been well-documented here, you omit the information that isn't convenient for your argument.

So your intent is crystal clear, even if now you want to act as if you don't care what other people think.

You either do care what other people think, because you're on your fourth forum, or you enjoy pissing people off, which is why you're on your fourth forum.

Either way, you're certainly neurotically obsessive about accomplishing something... what that is... only you know and only you care.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #237 on: January 21, 2016, 02:03:16 pm »

You either usually share information because people have requested it (no one here has or cares for what you want to share) or to make an argument. Every time someone gives an opinion on Tannehill that you disagree with, you jump in and present the information you want to present to counter that argument and has been well-documented here, you omit the information that isn't convenient for your argument.

So your intent is crystal clear, even if now you want to act as if you don't care what other people think.

You either do care what other people think, because you're on your fourth forum, or you enjoy pissing people off, which is why you're on your fourth forum.

Either way, you're certainly neurotically obsessive about accomplishing something... what that is... only you know and only you care.

Well it sure seems like you care, paranoid Rich!  We're down to your posting here only in response to me! Cheesy
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #238 on: January 21, 2016, 02:37:54 pm »

Thank you for allowing me to put an end to this train wreck of a thread. This thread has run it's course and is locked.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray