Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:17:54 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  How do you feel about social media?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How do you feel about social media?  (Read 1404 times)
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« on: February 03, 2016, 12:14:53 pm »

I've debated a for the past week if I should post this... Undecided I don't want it to turn ugly...

For the past week and half,it's been a argument about it in the office,as it relates to something we're working on.The vitriol from the it's evil side,also tends to be on the technophobe/leadite side.Their view of the internet is Facebook,local media sites,maybe amazon,and ebay.

How do you view social media?

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 12:19:14 pm »

Personally it's a just another part of being online ,a tool for the lack of a better term.It's the people on it,and how they use it that turns it into a positive,or negative.

I do think we give it too much importance in our society,and hate we create bullying laws,because someone said something bad about someone on facebook/twitter etc.(It's just So stupid to me!)

I also see it as away to connect to people,get news,etc,etc...

For me it's overall a positive,everything has drawbacks.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 03:12:45 pm »

I see social media as a very positive thing. I am on the opposite side of the country from most of my family, and none of us are big "long phone call" type of people, so chatting with brothers and sister on FB makes up a big chunk of my communication with my family.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 03:50:26 pm »

I don't use it and don't really care to. I see the upside to being on Facebook but it just doesn't apply to me. The people I care to talk to I see regularly so I don't need to be their Facebook friend. I don't have pictures to share with anyone and don't really care to follow that they went to Starbucks to get a frappe.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 06:51:02 pm »

I started using facebook a few years ago, overall it's a positive thing.  I'm not a big poster, more I comment on other things that people post.  It's great for connecting with people from high school who are all over the country, or people you just don't see regularly.  There were a few people I unfriended, they just seem to always have drama and air their dirty linen; which I just don't understand why they would want to do that.  I think you need to be careful what you post, as you probably don't want all your "friends" to see what you are commenting on.
AZ Fins Fan 55
Uber Member

Go Phins!!!!!

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 12:25:11 pm »

I love Facebook. As others have mentioned it is a great way to keep in touch with friends and family that I otherwise would only see once in a blue moon. It is nice to see pictures of their kids and their lives in general. Other than that Facebook is a fantastic source of entertainment to me. I laugh at the folks who constantly complain, take 700 pictures of themselves or their food in one day, and those who get offended by they crap that I post. I find it all so very entertaining. The only other site I use is twitter. While I don't tweet all that often I mostly follow a couple of the local and national news outlets to get up to the minute news and all of my favorite teams and the big reporters for those teams to keep up to the minute with the ins and outs of my teams. My wife uses Pintrest and Instagram and do on and so forth and I couldn't even tell you what those sites do or what they are for.

R.I.P. Jarian - 11/17/05 - You will be missed and never forgotten. Thanks for the memories my truest friend!!!!!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 11:34:31 am »

I have a very healthy relationship with social media, in that I've tailored it only to the things that I like.  If I have people in my life that post things that bother me, I either remove them or just don't have their posts show up as often.

I also almost post nothing, and when I do, it's nothing that's controversial to welcome arguing.  I just don't take place in it.  While I love a good debate, I think that in the Facebook public eye is about the worst place to air that laundry.

So, I am a member of a few silly groups of friends that post memes and jokes, I see pics of family and friends and their kids, and I mostly comment on mundane stuff like pop culture and TV.  It's just way better than the alternative.

I drink your milkshake!
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 04:08:40 pm »

I use twitter,and I had a facebook account for awhile,though I only logged on for about 10 minutes.I never really finished the profile,as I wasn't comfortable with it.I'm not comfortable with the privacy issues,and some of the schemey ways it collects data.

I also use a twitter client no longer available,MetroTwit.It's like tweet deck with multiple feeds,without running it on a browser.I have my normal feed,then a list that is just baseball writers,another list of just football,and another one of local media.I don't think twitter would be near as cool to me,if I had all of those things in one feed.

I also have a google+,I don't use the social media functions of it,If I am I don't realize it.I started new email,to migrate some of stuff away from Yahoo,Google did the automatic"It's a google+ account!"

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 04:39:09 pm »

I use Twitter for a few things, but not very regularly.

Awards shows, "event" sports, or "event" politics.

Basically, any time I'm watching something live, where it's simultaneously news and an event: The Oscars, the Super Bowl, The results of an election -- Twitter is great.  Comedians are funny, Experts are informative, predictions are rolling in, funny memes, vines of funny stuff, etc.  Good times. 

I drink your milkshake!
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 08:49:31 pm »

I'd say on a scale of 1-10 in terms of frequency of usage, I'd give Facebook a 10, LinkedIn a 6 and Twitter a 3

Buddhagirl
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 06:18:12 pm »

I am a social media butterfly. I LOVE Twitter and Instagram. I tolerate FB. I had deleted FB for a couple of years, but when I moved out of state it became necessary for me to stay in touch with people.

I've cleaned all of my feeds to the point where I don't have assholes spouting bullshit or making my blood boil.

"Well behaved women seldom make history."
Brian Fein
Global Moderator
Uber Member

WHAAAAA???

chunkyb
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 11:01:13 pm »

I am a Facebook lurker, exclusively.  I use Facebook as a platform for announcements to large groups of people, and that's it.  I almost never post any original content on Facebook, photos, etc. 

I use Twitter in a similar fashion except I tweet occasionally.  My tweeting has reduced in frequency drastically lately, mostly because my Twitter feed is primarily filled with Florida Panthers fans and I don't have anything else worth discussing.

I have started using Instagram more frequently, but still not as often as some people do.

In all, social media is a great tool when used properly.  It is also the bane of my existence.  I can not stand when people would rather sit and look at their phone, reading content from social media, across from each other at a dinner table.  Overuse of social media has turned our society pointedly anti-social, and its probably my #1 pet peeve.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray