Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:40:55 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  NFL Draft Notes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: NFL Draft Notes  (Read 10614 times)
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2017, 04:29:39 pm »

BUMP

Aguayo ended up with the worst FG percentage in the league.   He was so bad that the Bucs brought in Nick Folk offor the street to compete with him.   First date of OTAs at One Buc Place, Folk goes 4/4 and Aguayo 1/4
I can actually hear your boys blaring Crazy Train during OTA's right now.  I work across the street from One Buc Place.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2017, 04:41:15 pm »

How in the world can a kid who was easily the best kicker in college football suddenly lose the ability to find the uprights?

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2017, 05:03:23 pm »

How in the world can a kid who was easily the best kicker in college football suddenly lose the ability to find the uprights?

The footballs are a different size/weight.  While most of the time skills are very transferable it is possible his foot is perfectly aligned with a college ball and not the NFL one. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2017, 05:12:53 pm »

He took a pay cut when he went pro and lost motivation...lol
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2017, 05:32:08 pm »

Kicking is mental. It's hard to get back once your head is telling you that you will fail. MLB pitchers go through the same thing ... just like Steve Blass, Rick Ankiel, Daniel Bard, Dontrelle Willis, and Mark Wohlers. Wohlers got to the point he was throwing a wild pitch almost once a batter. It was crazy and sad.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2017, 06:45:10 pm »

He had an above average career outside of his first season.  And his first season was one where he had very little pressure/expectations because of who was on that team and what they accomplished

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2017, 07:25:07 pm »

Kicking is mental.

90% of the game is half mental -- Yogi Berra

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2017, 01:29:12 pm »

Kicking is mental. It's hard to get back once your head is telling you that you will fail. MLB pitchers go through the same thing ... just like Steve Blass, Rick Ankiel, Daniel Bard, Dontrelle Willis, and Mark Wohlers. Wohlers got to the point he was throwing a wild pitch almost once a batter. It was crazy and sad.

It is very mental.

I can vouch from experience

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2017, 04:17:44 pm »

It is very mental.

I can vouch from experience

Experience kicking, or experience being mental?

(Who loves ya, baby? That's right...I do.)   Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2017, 12:27:00 pm »

Last night, he made his first field goal, then missed a PAT, then missed a long field goal at the end of the game.   Five minutes ago, the Bucs announced they will be cutting him loose.   The fallout at One Buc Place is going to be tremendous

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2017, 01:20:20 pm »

Last night, he made his first field goal, then missed a PAT, then missed a long field goal at the end of the game.   Five minutes ago, the Bucs announced they will be cutting him loose.   The fallout at One Buc Place is going to be tremendous

Three possible reasons:

1. It is a different football.  The pro football is larger. 

2. You have less time in the NFL.

While the skill set is extremely similar the kicking of a college ball and NFL ball has some slight differences.

3. He may have had perfect chemistry with the long snapper and holder in college that has failed to materialize.  If I was the GM I would try to get both those guys if they are UDFA and see if that fixed the problem.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2017, 02:30:19 pm »

You would take up a roster spot to sign a holder? I wish the Patriots would bring you in to help with their roster.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2017, 03:10:36 pm »

You would take up a roster spot to sign a holder? I wish the Patriots would bring you in to help with their roster.

If that would convert a horrible kicker into the leagues best then yes.  Certainly would use one of my 80 spots for 3 days to find out

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2017, 06:21:04 am »

The footballs are a different size/weight.  While most of the time skills are very transferable it is possible his foot is perfectly aligned with a college ball and not the NFL one. 

NCAA and NFL rules on football dimensions are very similar, although the college rules allow a little more variation. In terms of weight and pressure, the rules are identical (14 to 15 oz, 12.5 to 13.5 psi). In terms of dimensions, NCAA rules allow for greater variations, with both shorter and longer balls allowed (10 7/8" - 11 7/16, compared to 11" - 11 1/4" in the NFL). Finally, while both NCAA and NFL balls have the same maximum for the "fatness" of the ball, the NCAA rules allow for slightly skinnier balls. (Note that rules governing the long circumference mean that a college ball can't be BOTH long and fat... the maximum here is the same as in the NFL.)

In practice, of course, there is only one NFL football. The Duke. Also sometimes referred to as a 1001 pattern football.

In the NCAA, each school decides what football they want to play with, so there is quite a variety. The standard college ball for years was the F1005 pattern Wilson. This was designed to the smallest legal specs. These days, the vast majority of major football colleges use Nike footballs, with Adidas being almost as popular as Wilson. The Nike Vapor One footballs have identical dimensions  to F1005 pattern Wilsons, but I don't know about the Adidas balls (or Western Kentucky's Spalding ball).

So what did Aguayo kick with? Well, FSU uses a Nike ball, but at some point they switched model to a Vapor Elite. I've never seen one in person and wasn't able to find the dimensions online, so I don't know how it differs from the Vapor One.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2017, 08:52:35 am »

^^^ [Smacks the "Like" button with great vim and great vigor]

Gotta dig any post where I learn something new about something I already thought I knew a good bit about... Wink

~ Micah Leggat
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray