Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:28:23 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  9 out of 10 Native Americans are not offended by the Washington Redskins' name
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 9 out of 10 Native Americans are not offended by the Washington Redskins' name  (Read 2803 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: May 20, 2016, 10:07:39 am »

Despite the decades-long controversy surrounding the Washington Redskins' name, an overwhelming nine out of 10 Native Americans say they are not offended by it, a Washington Post poll revealed.
Only nine percent of the 504 people surveyed in every state from December to April found the football team's name derogatory, even though the term is defined in the Oxford dictionary as 'dated, or offensive'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3599611/Nine-10-Native-Americans-not-offended-Washington-Redskins-football-team-new-survey-finds.html#ixzz49ClQQw44

I've never had an issue with it and it appears most Indians do not either. I'm sure it won't stop the politically correct police because they are more informed than those who should be offended.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 10:12:13 am »

I think the key is that this is a dated term. If we were in the old west it would probably be fighting words but in my time on earth I have never heard the term used, outside of a western movie, for anything except referring to the football team. I've decided I'm not picking up this fight because it isn't my team and my limited amount of Native American blood doesn't give me credibility to be offended.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 11:16:55 am »

I think the key is that this is a dated term. If we were in the old west it would probably be fighting words but in my time on earth I have never heard the term used, outside of a western movie, for anything except referring to the football team. I've decided I'm not picking up this fight because it isn't my team and my limited amount of Native American blood doesn't give me credibility to be offended.
This.  I'm 1/16 Cherokee...so should I be 1/16 offened CF used the term "Indian"? Cheesy
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 02:41:03 pm »

At this point I guess more people have some sort of Native American blood in their veins than not. I am Creek from my mothers grandmother who was full blooded. Not sure that makes me anything more than a mutt.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 07:11:41 pm »

Well, if the people who everyone thought would be offended by it are not actually offended by it then I suppose it's time to just drop the argument.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 12:49:52 am »

Just to clarify:

If one poll finds that a majority of Native Americans are not offended by the Washington Redskins' name, and that is hard proof that the name should not be changed, then if TWO newer polls come out showing that a majority of them are offended by the name, is that hard proof that the name should be changed?

Because you can't exactly have it both ways.  You can't say, "I don't care about bowing to opinion polls and Political Correctness," and then say, "The opinion polls are in my favor today, therefore we should listen to them."

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 08:42:22 am »

The government's view is that Native Americans just don't realize that they are supposed to be offended.  So the government will be offended for them.  Thank god we have the government to tell us what we should and shouldn't be offended by.   
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 09:37:28 am »

to do otherwise would be to practice a system where the tyranny of the majority rules
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 10:16:22 am »

It's not really whether or not people are offended by it.  It's a question of whether or not a racial slur is an appropriate name for a sports team.  I'm not offended by it, myself, but i think they should change it.

I drink your milkshake!
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 07:57:39 pm »

It's not really whether or not people are offended by it.  It's a question of whether or not a racial slur is an appropriate name for a sports team.  I'm not offended by it, myself, but i think they should change it.

Do you consider Redskins a racial slur?

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray