Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:10:45 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Never (?) replace your razor cartridge again
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Never (?) replace your razor cartridge again  (Read 1537 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« on: June 01, 2016, 11:50:56 am »

A while back, I saw this video on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ADaRIqy0Dc

Basically, the video says to rub the razor in the non-cutting direction about a dozen times on your forearm to re-sharpen it, like one would with a straight razor and a leather strap.

I've been doing this every couple of weeks (or so), and I've been using the same cartridge on my Gilette Fusion for over a year.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 01:35:18 pm »

That's interesting ... I'll have to check it out. With my old man skin I use new razors all the time and they are expensive. I use the Gillette Power Fusion

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 12:56:00 am »

I tried it tonight, and it seemed to work well.  So far.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 12:33:56 am »

I tried it and it did the same thing.  Any particular part of your forearm?

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 11:08:50 am »

Has anyone had any long-term success with this?

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 11:21:53 am »

Basic physics suggest this will extend the life of your razor but that it will eventually wear out.  But if you can triple or more the life of the razor it is more than worth it.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2017, 11:38:27 am »

I think I replaced my razor blades once since posting this thread...?  Definitely not more than once.  (I use a Gillette Fusion Power for my face and a Headblade for my head.)  It's so infrequent it's hard to keep track.

Do straight razors ever "wear out"?

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 11:48:03 am »

I think I replaced my razor blades once since posting this thread...?  Definitely not more than once.  (I use a Gillette Fusion Power for my face and a Headblade for my head.)  It's so infrequent it's hard to keep track.

Everything wears out.  The old fashion razors barbers use my take tens of thousands of saves or more to wear out, but each shave and each sharpening they lose some steel, but they start with a lot of steel.  Your small razor will wear out at some point.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 04:00:05 pm »

I shaved with the same straight razor 3-4 times a week for close to 20 years, and my father had owned it for at least 5-10 years before he gave it to me. I gave it three swipes on the strop before each shave, and once every couple of months, I gave it a pass on the hone (fine grit sharpening stone). I went full-on Mr. Clean for about 5 years, and pretty much shaved everything from the neck to the crown of my bean with that blade.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 05:54:33 pm »

I feel like I'm too groggy and/or sloppy in the morning to be comfortable shaving my head with a straight razor.

With your standard commercial razor cartridges, I've occasionally gotten a nick... I got a decently bad cut (with flowing blood) exactly once.  But I could give myself a serious scar with a straight razor.

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 07:41:49 pm »

Has anyone had any long-term success with this?

Yes. Since I saw that video last year I have gone through precisely two blades, and that's because the plastic casing on the first one broke when I was "re-sharpening" it on my arm (I have heard from someone else that isn't actually what's happening, the process realigns the molecules in the steel which has the effect of keeping the edge intact).
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray