Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:34:41 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Do you leave any lights on in your house at night?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Do you leave any lights on in your house at night?  (Read 2033 times)
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« on: August 29, 2016, 11:45:02 am »

I've been walking/jogging,running well before dawn every most mornings.School started the 17th of this month,and I seem to get a bit of enjoyment out of going by a house and seeing the house wake up. One light comes on,then a 2nd,then the 1st goes out,then a 3rd lighting up.

I've noticed old people tend to leave their front/back porch lights on.Some of the larger old houses have a front room light elegantly lit.

I was curious do you leave any lights on at night?

I realize a lot of people complain about their spouse,and/or kids always leaving all the lights on in the house!  Cheesy

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 11:50:35 am »

Sort of an old habit,before my black German Sheppard passed away a couple of years ago, I left a lot more lights on in the house.Mt house already has fun house type floors,add a mostly black dog that if startled would immediately come up snapping and growling. I had a path 1 living room light,a pair of dining room picture lights,a light that bridge the kitchen/dining room. Then a light over the kitchen sink,and 1 fixture in the Bathroom.

Now,I replaced the bathroom lights with LED light strips,that I dim to half,LED's in the kitchen,and the lamp behind the T.V. stay on.Outside Lights I got into Solar motion sensor lights.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 12:04:49 pm »

I don't leave lights on, I just wish other people in the house wouldn't.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 12:35:59 pm »

I don't leave lights on, I just wish other people in the house wouldn't.
LOL, this 100%
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 01:38:56 pm »

We have this thing in my house called "light parade", named after the electric light parade that Disney did for years at night.  It's where my wife comes in and turns every light in the house on, then often leaves the room.  I don't leave on any light that I can turn off.  In fact, I am bothered when electronics have glowing components for no reason.

I turn lights off and turn the A/C warmer as needed and off when I leave.  My wife does not.  It's a constant struggle and has just because another dynamic in our relationship.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 01:46:34 pm »

In fact, I am bothered when electronics have glowing components for no reason.

I absolutely hate that the power button on my stereo lights when it is off.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 02:29:25 pm »

In fact, I am bothered when electronics have glowing components for no reason.
I absolutely hate that the power button on my stereo lights when it is off.
Between my TV, cable box, cable modem and routers blinking lights I don't need a Christmas tree haha.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2016, 04:54:03 pm »

I'll leave the stove hood light on most nights, just so there is "some light" in the house. If not, I guarantee that I am going to bump into the pool table or something else during one of my nocturnal wanderings.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 05:30:00 pm »

I'll leave the stove hood light on most nights, just so there is "some light" in the house. If not, I guarantee that I am going to bump into the pool table or something else during one of my nocturnal wanderings.

I either get by on all the standby LEDs or I, you know, turn on a light.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 10:22:45 am »

This is another game we play in our house.  My wife walks around turning on every light in the house and leaving every door open in the house and I walk around behind her turning all the lights back off and closing the doors. We are our own version of the old tv show "The Odd Couple".  I'm slightly obsessive compulsive with things being organized and she (although not "dirty") is really untidy and unorganized.  She says, "Have you seen my car keys?" at least three times a day to me.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2016, 08:11:21 pm »

This is another game we play in our house.  My wife walks around turning on every light in the house and leaving every door open in the house and I walk around behind her turning all the lights back off and closing the doors. We are our own version of the old tv show "The Odd Couple".  I'm slightly obsessive compulsive with things being organized and she (although not "dirty") is really untidy and unorganized.  She says, "Have you seen my car keys?" at least three times a day to me.
Why are you closing the doors? Typically speaking you want to leave the doors open for good air flow between the rooms. This will save you money in heating and air conditioning bills.

The lights thing I guess I understand, but do you realize how little electricity a light bulb uses, especially the energy efficient ones? You could leave half the lights in your house on practically 24x7 and you probably wouldn't notice it in your electric bill. Changing the thermostat by a degree or 2 in the winter or summer on the other hand you definitely will notice.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 08:18:20 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2016, 08:55:32 am »

Why are you closing the doors? Typically speaking you want to leave the doors open for good air flow between the rooms. This will save you money in heating and air conditioning bills.

The lights thing I guess I understand, but do you realize how little electricity a light bulb uses, especially the energy efficient ones? You could leave half the lights in your house on practically 24x7 and you probably wouldn't notice it in your electric bill. Changing the thermostat by a degree or 2 in the winter or summer on the other hand you definitely will notice.

True about leaving doors open for air flow.  I close them because we have a couple of nosy dogs who like to get into things so I try to keep the inner doors closed so they aren't messing around with stuff in different rooms of the house  You are correct about the impact on the electricity bills though. 
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray