Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:31:26 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Women sports journalists: Young & hot,or Conservative & informed?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Women sports journalists: Young & hot,or Conservative & informed?  (Read 2082 times)
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« on: September 14, 2016, 11:56:02 am »

I'm not super sure how to phrase this question.

Real sports with Bryant Gumbel did a segment on Women hosts/journalists in sports,on ageism,and online harassment. (I admit, I do like the show)
Written summery about the article,and a link to clip of the segement
Written over view
http://www.tvgoodness.com/2016/08/23/real-sports-with-bryant-gumbel-examines-sexism-faced-by-female-sports-reporters-and-more-preview/

Clip
http://www.hbo.com/real-sports-with-bryant-gumbel/episodes/0/233-episode/video/ep-233-trailer-female-sports-reporters.html?autoplay=true

I was curious how important how "Hot",or what she wears the journalist/host is matters to you?

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2016, 12:02:42 pm »

I had no clue who any of the "hot" chicks were in the video until they showed me what they do.I feel there is a difference in the jobs.Hosts, fine look hot,and sex it up, I could care less... I'm probably not watching anyways,I don't watch pregame shows,etc,etc.If you're hosting shows,and basically a news reader,get noticed for what you wear,and do silly interviews..IMO your not a journalist..

I think if you're informative,do good interviews,break stories,etc,you're probably a journalist...I care more about the information,not what you look like.

The online harassment,I think that's the world we live in.(Women do get it much,much,worse, I get that)..I hate a lot of media,etc,men and women,and guilty of using social media to rip them...Some of our local news,is horrendous. Embarrassed

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2016, 12:06:04 pm »

I put sportscasters in two groups.  Analysts and hosts.  If you're there to give an opinion on things and are a knowledgeable source, I don't care what you look like: enter Bob Ryan and Jackie MacMullen.  I respect them and don't care what they look like, male or female.  Bob Ryan looks like his teeth are candy corns.

For hosts, there is a likability element.   It helps if they are charismatic.  That doesn't mean they have to be good looking, but it helps, I guess.  This is true for guys, too.  Bob Costas is an alright looking guy, but he's got a commanding voice.  Same with these sideline reporters.  They aren't really there for their insight.  They are an anchor.  I don't find that, in itself, sexist.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 12:40:59 pm »

I watched the show and have seen almost every episode for years. I'll admit that I like to look at pretty women. I do not however need that as a requirement for sports reporting. If they are knowledgeable and do their job well it is enough for me.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 06:54:47 am »

I think guys are always going to "assess" women on their looks because men are visually stimulated and we do that anyway. Most of us don't care about the looks as long as they are informative/entertaining but we do appreciate them when they are attractive. That said ... the "pigs" will always be louder than the guys who aren't judging even though they are in the minority. I really don't know how you get around that.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 02:36:24 pm »

It is not unique just to sports news, but across all news.  I know one former (male) local TV reporter than producer that mentioned that in the past 10 years that all the female reports they hired were former pageant contestants.   

It is a problem for several reasons:  (1) incompetent women are hired just for her looks.  (2) competent women are relegated to radio or print because they are not pretty enough and (3) when a competent attractive women does get a job she is often dismissed as a bimbo only hired for her looks.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray