Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:54:10 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  How have your interests in the various sports shifted over the last few years?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How have your interests in the various sports shifted over the last few years?  (Read 2008 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: December 03, 2016, 11:48:52 pm »

I'm a football guy first.  Always have been.  That is consistent.  I only really care about the NFL, but have watched my fair share of college this year, too.  I like the playoff system a lot (still needs expanding, IMO) and that helps.  My alma-matter sucks horribly, but I did go to several home games to see them get beat on.  Maybe one day they'll be good and this is me paying my dues.

I do like the NBA, but the HEAT run made it very exciting and I watched A LOT of basketball over the last several years.  I still check in on the games, but it's hard to watch an uncompetitive team play 2-3 times a week, religiously.

I don't watch NHL or MLB, but I will watch the first few games of the season, maybe, to get a feel for the local team.

NASCAR, I used to watch on the weekends, but just don't anymore.  It's probably been years since I've watched a race...not sure why.

And I do like UFC, but I haven't been very good at keeping up.

I think that, overall, my interest in sports is waning.  I still enjoy it, but find myself not liking the time that it takes to follow it.  On these days where I binge a bunch of sports, I go back to work on Monday feeling like I didn't have time off.

I drink your milkshake!
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 01:08:59 am »

I'm the same as you in terms of football, except I follow college as well.   My team did much better this season than most and will be getting a bowl bid.  I used to follow the NBA big back in the days.  But over the years, my interest has waned as the game has evolved into where they play almost zero defense.   The past couple years, I've tuned into the NHL more and have been to quite a few Lightning games.   

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 09:59:58 am »

I am a football guy.  If Red Soxs, Bruins, Celtics, Revolution, UMass or UConn are doing well I will mildly follow them.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 02:48:57 pm »

NFL

College football, particularly USF, my Alma Mater...work has a suite and give out tickets...I was the only one that wanted to go for a while, so it was like having season tickets.

UFC, but I've been getting out of that lately

Everything else.  I like the home teams to do well, but I don't actively watch NBA, NHL or MLB.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 09:45:47 am »

I have completely given up watching boxing and UFC for whatever reason. I watch every Dolphins and WVU football and basketball game possible. These sports are ones where I also catch games not involving my team. I also watch every Orlando City game but not much around the rest of the league. As for the NBA, I'll watch the playoffs and the same goes for the NHL really. I have not seen a baseball game in years and that even includes missing every game of this past World Series which people found compelling.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 12:10:18 pm »

I have given up watching basketball and hockey completely...but my year-round addiction to both football and baseball continues.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 01:24:13 pm »

I've ways been a Dolphins Football, "A" number 1 priority.The Chicago Cubs base ball Priority 2,Chicago Bears priority 3..I was into heavywieght boxing also,when it was on,as I did that for a time in my youth.

When I came here in 2003-4 ish,I started playing fantasy sports,and followed the leagues much more.In 06-08 was over the top Hot to trot for a woman, who got me into Colorado Avalanche Hockey.I gave up Fantasy sports 4 yrs ago or so.Changed my sports interest greatly..

I don't watch other teams from any league NFL,MLB or any boxing.Only watch Playoff hockey if involves the Blackhawks.

Biggest changes
My biggest shift,is in baseball,as I read MLB trade rumors,and the chats there all year long.I watch MLB network,like the way I used to consume ESPN in the 90's.

I think My baseball shift,is I'm getting older,and the Cubs rise,and winning the world series.

Dolphins Essentially sucking for the past 16 years,(and I've said this for several years now) "other" Dolphins fans,and the logo/uniform changes have really put a dent in my "love" for the Dolphins. I lack Dolphins hope with our owner,Front office,and to some extent fanbase.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 01:50:38 pm »

A lot of us seem to have waned in interest in the UFC.  It's weird.  Nothing happened to cause it.  I still like it, but for whatever reason I just can't keep up.

I think for me, at least part of it is how much filler and drama is in The Ultimate Fighter.  I really like about half of that show.  I wish it were more sports and less reality TV.

I drink your milkshake!
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 09:59:04 pm »

A lot of us seem to have waned in interest in the UFC.  It's weird.  Nothing happened to cause it.  I still like it, but for whatever reason I just can't keep up.

I think for me, at least part of it is how much filler and drama is in The Ultimate Fighter.  I really like about half of that show.  I wish it were more sports and less reality TV.

1) Oversaturan of the product. Can't keep up with all of the fighters and who is who because there are too many shows. Used to be 1 show a month now its 3 shows a week plus a pay per view a month.
2) To many big main events get canceled due to injuries at the last minute. Kills big events

And rumor is the Ultimate Fighter is going away soon as it isn't needed anymore as they don't need to find "undiscovered fighters." They do so many live shows they just put everyone on a live show (mostly the small Fight Night shows) and the ones who are good they keep the others they let go.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 10:06:39 pm »

The NFL and College Football will ALWAYS be my #1 and #2 is because the regular season matters. Every game matters and every game has consequences.

I'm sorry the NBA and NHL there is no need to watch any game before April. There are so many playoff teams that the regular season is totally worthless. There isn't a big game in the regular season ever in either sport. If you can't finish in the Top 8 of your conference after 82 games  then you can't bitch about anything.

The NCAA tournament has killed college basketball because nobody cares about what happens in November and December and January. Just put out the bracket. 99% of the time you will have all your big boys (ie Kentucky, Duke, Louisville, North Carolina, Syracuse, Arizona..etc). It's rare  for one of them to "miss a year" and you see who gets hot for a month and makes a run. March is great, the rest of the season is pointless to watch. The NBA you can pencil in Cleveland vs Golden State right now and pretty much skip every game till June and not miss a thing. The NHL playoffs are great but is there a need to watch a regular season game? They are pointless. And seeding in the NHL is pointless too as home ice means little to almost nothing.

Their is a reason why the NFL is the biggest and best sport....it's because they haven't bastardized their regular season. College football is on the brink of ruining their regular season with how they pick teams for the Final 4 where head to head outcomes and conference titles don't matter, but they essentially have the best set up as them all. Their playoff is the entire season.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray