Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 03:25:45 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Movie Roundup
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Movie Roundup  (Read 2830 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: December 04, 2016, 12:05:06 am »

Since I started this movie club at work, I've been watching A TON of movies.  So many, in fact, that I don't have the time to write reviews for them.  If anyone is interested in anything specifically, let me know.  I recently watched:

Moana (2016)
Dr. Strange (2016)
Solace (2015)
Law Abiding Citizen (2009)

Cons and Capers:
Matchstick Men (2003)
The Sting (1973)
The Thomas Crown Affair (1999)

Welcome to Miami:
Miami Vice (2006)

These are Westerns?:
The Revenent (2015)
Hell or High Water (2016)

These are Westerns!:
The Magnificent Seven (1960)

Slasher Monsters:
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

Big Monsters:
Monsters (2010)
Cloverfield (2008)
The Host (2006)
Trollhunter (2010)

Universal Monsters:
What We Do in the Shadows (2014)
The Lost Boys (1987)

Paranormal Monsters:
Poltergeist (1982)

These are Musicals?:
Across the Universe (2007)
Once (2006)
Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

These are Musicals!:
Les Miserables (2012)
The Producers (2005)
Beauty and the Beast (1991)

Space:
Europa Report (2013)

Artificial Intelligence:
Bicentennial Man

Alien Encounters:
Alien (1979)
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

Time Travel:
Primer (2004)
Time Crimes (2007)

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 09:49:29 am »

I'm interested in why Across the Universe is in the "...Musical?" category. They were signing throughout.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 10:21:15 am »

Across the Universe is definitely a musical.  It's just non-traditional, in that it was created backwards.  ...took existing songs then weaved a story around it.

I drink your milkshake!
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 01:29:19 pm »

A few of these movies I either really like,or Love....
Poltergeist (1982)
Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)
Bicentennial Man
Alien (1979)
The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)

Sucks,and I hate I should even have refer to the old ones Tongue

Then a few that I didn't like or hated...
Law Abiding Citizen (2009)
Matchstick Men (2003)
The Revenent (2015) (hate with a passion)
Cloverfield (2008)

It's an interesting selection of movies... Cheesy

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 01:49:24 pm »

I really hated Bicentennial Man.  A lot. I think it was terrible.  This is one of those films where people tell me they love it and I just can't fathom because it's so utterly terrible.

I really liked Matchstick Men and The Revenent, though. 

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 03:07:30 pm »

Bicentennial Man is a personal favorite of mine, and it boggles my noggin to no end that Dave has such a strong negative opinion of it. Same with Law Abiding Citizen...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 03:27:22 pm »

I couldn't even finish The Revenant. I found it extremely boring to start off and it never pulled me in.

Something I would be interested in learning, of the older movies (let's say the ones from the 70's or older) are there any of these you saw for the first time because of this club? I would like to get your impression on seeing these if they were a first time viewing.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 12:45:35 am »

I believe that all of these old movies were first time views.  In fact, most of the movies on this list were.  In some cases, I re-watched something I'd seen, but the whole idea is to watch new stuff.

The one old movie that really stood out was The Sting.  It was great and I loved it.  Totally holds up and was enjoyable by today's standards.  It's on Netflix.

I also enjoyed The Lost Boys, which I'd never seen...not sure if I'd call that old or not...depends on who you ask.  80s as hell and kinda cheesy, but cool.

The really old stuff, Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Day the Earth Stood Still were too dated to recommend, especially the latter. 

I drink your milkshake!
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 10:19:13 am »

Totally agree with Phish on The Revenant. I was screaming Bullshit! Ohh Come on you have to be shitting me.It really became almost laughable to me.

The 87 lost boys was pretty good...I totally agree with you about The day the earth stood still.

My biggest complaint with really old movies is the difference of how they edit scenes versus today.
I grew up with...
Character 1 - "Hey I'm going to see John"
Cut to Character 1 pulling up to john's house,cuts to scene of the front of the house,cut to scene of character 1 knocking on the door.

Old movies
Character 1 - "Hey I'm going to see John"
Scene of Character 1 leaving his house,and getting in his car fades into a scene of character 1 driving his car.Then it fades to him pulling up to John's house,and cuts to him locking his car,that faes to him walking up the front step,and knocking on the front door...

Grin Cheesy

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 11:31:17 am »

I'm very surprised about the Revenent.  That was my favorite movie last year.  I believe it's essentially based on a true-ish concept...or a group of true-ish concepts.  What was so unbelievable?

I drink your milkshake!
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 10:50:25 am »

For me, I'd watched some of the reality survival shows,prior to seeing the movie.( I stopped when most of them started turning too much like celebrity reality shows,and less about survival.)From the bear attack forward for me, was just far too much Hollywood embellishment.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 10:56:10 am »

Though embellished, I'm sure, it's based on a guy named Hugh Glass -- the bear attack followed by revenge story really happened.

I drink your milkshake!
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 12:34:42 pm »

I saw the movie 6 months or so ago,Again after watching survival shows,screaming injured,Hungry,wet,FREEZING cold,suddenly being able to fight off a healthy guy....Bullshit...He's wet throughout the entire movie,even floating down a river at one point,and able to crawl up the the snowy muddy bank...Wait no hypothermia? That's the type thing I remember thinking while watching it...

Afterwards I googled is it true,and it's based on stories from 150+ years ago...

I didn't know his name,or remember his name til you posted about it. Googling him,there is HUGE part of this that makes much more sense,the stories,inspired events happened in August,or September....Winter ,cold,snow and Ice seems to be a big part of the story...

Do I think some guy got attacked by a bear,left for dead,and survived? Yep,plausible...But the Movie is total fucking Bullshit... Grin

Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 10:22:28 am »

I believe that all of these old movies were first time views.  In fact, most of the movies on this list were.  In some cases, I re-watched something I'd seen, but the whole idea is to watch new stuff.

The one old movie that really stood out was The Sting.  It was great and I loved it.  Totally holds up and was enjoyable by today's standards.  It's on Netflix.

I also enjoyed The Lost Boys, which I'd never seen...not sure if I'd call that old or not...depends on who you ask.  80s as hell and kinda cheesy, but cool.

The really old stuff, Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Day the Earth Stood Still were too dated to recommend, especially the latter. 
I had high hopes for the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still but I didn't like the direction it took. The movie as is would have been so much better with all the things that technology gives us today. Imagine all your smart phones stop working. Imagine all PC's stop working. Imagine all the TV's, microwaves, Bluetooth etc stop working.  Holy shit that WOULD be an event. Back in the 50's sure this would have been something, but NOTHING like it would be today. But instead they have to turn the robot into some kind of matter eating monster thingy? WTF?

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray