Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 31, 2024, 10:38:56 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  2 teams in LA
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 2 teams in LA  (Read 6162 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« on: January 12, 2017, 01:41:09 pm »

This really makes no sense. LA has had trouble supporting one franchise.  There isn't enough support for 2.  Which ever team has more success over the next few years will emerge as team A will get the bulk of the ads and fans the other will whither and be forced to move.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 01:51:35 pm »

Chargers in a 28,000 seat stadium for 2 years. That will be funny to see. Miami will play them in that stadium next year too.

Spano's did this to raise the value of the team so he can sell it eventually. Good move for him, feel bad for the people of San Diego, this is bad for the NFL.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 01:57:47 pm »

This really makes no sense. LA has had trouble supporting one franchise. 

LA had the second highest total attendance for home games in the league (Dallas was first).
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 02:24:20 pm »

LA had the second highest total attendance for home games in the league (Dallas was first).

the last home game the stadium was empty.  http://thebiglead.com/2016/12/11/los-angeles-rams-already-cant-fill-their-stadium/

There aren't enough fans to support 1 team let alone 2. And SD fans aren't driving to support an owner who just left their city. That number you are quoting was padded early season. Once the novelty wore off of having a football team back in town, people stopped going
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 02:49:06 pm »

Don't fall into that trap of how empty the stadium looks. The facts are it is a huge stadium that no one in the league would fill regularly and the last game was meaningless. It's no surprise attendance stunk, if you consider the tied for the highest attendance on week 17 stinking. You can't refute they had the second highest average in the league. Have the Rams start winning games and then let's see what happens.

I should also throw out there that the Rams regularly (throughout the season) had more fans at home games than their opponents for away games.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 02:57:16 pm by Phishfan » Logged
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 02:54:47 pm »

Football is new.  Of course they are going to do well the first few home games.  But if one team goes 11-5 and wins a playoff game, while the other goes 5-11, the weaker team is in for a lot of empty seats.  Only way both teams survive is if both teams win playoff games in the next three years, otherwise the LA equivalent of the Jets is going to have a hard time filling seats.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 03:00:13 pm »

Have the Rams start winning games and then let's see what happens.

Everyone on the fence between the Chargers and Rams, abandons the Chargers.  I am not say zero is the right number for LA. But 2 is too many.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 03:00:57 pm »

You guys should check out these attendance numbers so you understand who is and who isn't selling tickets. The Jets averaged the sixth highest home attendance average last year.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2016/attendance.htm
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 03:04:38 pm by Phishfan » Logged
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 03:02:20 pm »

I am not say zero is the right number for LA. But 2 is too many.

I don't disagree there either. My only argument is LA has been selling tickets at a higher pace than most of the league. People have a perception no one is going because they play in an huge stadium.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 03:19:14 pm »

I don't know why they like to put 2 teams in the same city.  I wish they'd cut that crap out.

I drink your milkshake!
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 03:38:22 pm »

I don't know why they like to put 2 teams in the same city.  I wish they'd cut that crap out.

Big cities can support it. The league has debated  putting a 2nd team in Chicago for many years and it has never been totally off their radar. It let's them "double dip" on TV rights, one in the AFC and one in the NFC. So two networks pay bigger money to get a team in the 2nd biggest market in the country with 2 teams in LA.

The reason the NFC TV package gets more money and their Sunday pregame show gets higher ratings than the AFC is the NFC TV markets (Chicago, Philly, Dallas, Was DC, the "A" team in NYC..etc) are bigger.

While in the AFC you have smaller markets in general, (Cleveland, Pitt, Miami, the "B" team in NYC, Baltimore...etc)
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 03:40:31 pm »

Football is new.  Of course they are going to do well the first few home games.  But if one team goes 11-5 and wins a playoff game, while the other goes 5-11, the weaker team is in for a lot of empty seats.  Only way both teams survive is if both teams win playoff games in the next three years, otherwise the LA equivalent of the Jets is going to have a hard time filling seats.

Bingo. It's new and the novelty wore off. People may have bought tickets but end of the year they didn't go to the games. Next year they might not even buy them.

Two teams in this city will be a disaster. Keep an eye on the lease SD signs in LA. If its short Spanos and his family will do this to raise the value of the team, then sell it eventually and let the new owner move it to a new city (probably St.Louis or London) 
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 12:59:41 pm »

I read the other day that the population for greater LA is 18 million people, so there are enough people to support two teams.  Also, there is a pretty high percentage (25% I believe) of LA area fans that traveled to San Diego for games, so now all of those fans will have a shorter drive.  As for putting people in the seats weekly, if you have a winning, competitive team people will show up, if you stink like the Rams did this year they will stay home.  But the big thing here is that the Rams won't even care if people come to the game because the seats have already been sold.  Between PSL's, luxury boxes and corporate sponsorships the Rams made about $1 BILLION dollars by moving, not to mention the value of their franchise almost doubled.  The same will be true of the Chargers.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 01:10:13 pm »

I think pretty much any new team can get supported if they're winning.  And they can't if they're losing.

But if the NFL makes all of the decisions about money today, it screws them in the long term.  These two-team cities always have a beloved team and a 2nd rate team.

I drink your milkshake!
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 01:52:23 pm »

My view point changed a bit when I saw Baba booey's post about the T.V,and NFC/AFC post.

I feel it's better for the league,as in most cases bad for the fans.I feel like more fans are probably going to be hurt than gained in this situation (SD ---> LA vs a St. Louis to LA move)

I admit, I've never been a fan of a hometown team that moved in any sport.So I struggle with how the fans of this team will react that are not in/from San Diego,as I can only base it on how I feel.I'm strange.. Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray