Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2024, 11:28:31 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  2 teams in LA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: 2 teams in LA  (Read 6082 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 01:55:37 pm »

My view point changed a bit when I saw Baba booey's post about the T.V,and NFC/AFC post.

That is not allowed on the Internet.  Please turn off your computer and do better next time.

I drink your milkshake!
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 03:40:52 pm »

^^^ Cheesy

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 03:48:05 pm »

These two-team cities always have a beloved team and a 2nd rate team.

Our only examples (at least in what I call the modern NFL) have been the Giants/Jets and the Rams/Raiders. While I can agree on the past LA scenario, I don't think the Jets should be considered a second rate team in NY.  They are pretty loved by their people.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 03:55:27 pm »

Jets are most definitely team B.  They have a long enough history and more than enough fans to sell out every game.  But they like the Mets don't have nearly the following as their big brother.  I think the only twin teams on close to equal footing is white sox and cubs.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2017, 04:15:46 pm »

^^^Perceptions don't fall in line with my link though. They average about 5k less people than the Giants. Maybe it is semantics but I don't consider that second rate. Obviously no one would ever average the same so one will be lower. Given that, I would call second rate in this scenario needing to be much lower then 5k a game. Give the Jets success and that number is easily passed.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2017, 04:24:03 pm »

Well at least the Chargers have a really cool new logo!  Cheesy
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 04:39:39 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2017, 04:32:12 pm »

^^^Perceptions don't fall in line with my link though. They average about 5k less people than the Giants. Maybe it is semantics but I don't consider that second rate. Obviously no one would ever average the same so one will be lower. Given that, I would call second rate in this scenario needing to be much lower then 5k a game. Give the Jets success and that number is easily passed.

Jets are a successful franchise but second rate.  Both are season ticket sold out so using attendance rates is misleading.  Jets have a 1-2 year waiting list for season tickets.  Giants have a 25 - 30 year waiting list.  For every person you see in NYC wearing Jets clothing you will see 15 with Giants.  Try buying a Giants tickets and Jets tickets on the secondary market.   Prices are quite different. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2017, 05:20:53 pm »

I'm thinking about Lakers/Clippers, too.  As good as the Clippers are and as bad as the Lakers get, the Clippers are still a poor-man's Lakers.

The Knicks are NBA basketball, even though they are hot garbage.  Brooklyn is what's left over.

I drink your milkshake!
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2017, 07:35:11 pm »

The Jets are clearly the B team in NYC and it's not even close. They played in "GIANTS STADIUM" for over 20 years and were the little brother in big brothers house. In the New Stadium the Giants called all the shots and got the "better" of everything in the deal. The Jets don't have the fan support of the Giants and its not even close.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2017, 09:40:14 pm »

Jets, Mets, Nets, Isles.  All are the stepchild teams.

With Rams/Raiders it was a bit different; the Rams had 30+ years to build a fanbase as LA's primary team before the Raiders arrived.  The Raiders did well in LA, but the Raiders have a weird fanbase; if they are playing well, you can put them in half the cities in the league and they would become the A team.  You would be shocked to hear how many Bay Area fans fully intend to stick with the Las Vegas Raiders.  If the Rams and Raiders had both moved back this year, the Raiders would have been the A team even if they were as bad as the Rams.

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2017, 07:26:56 am »

This really makes no sense. LA has had trouble supporting one franchise.  There isn't enough support for 2.  Which ever team has more success over the next few years will emerge as team A will get the bulk of the ads and fans the other will whither and be forced to move.

I agree based on recent history: the Rams were fine in LA until the Raiders moved into town in the 1980s, then attendances dropped so much they packed up for St Louis. While LA has enough of a population to support two teams, back then it didn't have enough die hard football fans to do it come rain or shine, success or hard times - have things changed enough for that to happen now?

Out of curiousity, anyone know what kind of fanbase/attendances the old AFL LA Chargers averaged in 1960/61 before moving to San Diego?
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray