Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:44:52 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Your management style/tips- dealing with coworkers,bosses that suck
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Your management style/tips- dealing with coworkers,bosses that suck  (Read 1227 times)
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« on: February 02, 2017, 12:57:15 pm »

For the past couple years I've been essentially delegated to researchers/office pool management,and intern wrangler.It's a job, that's all that matters.

This year,I mean December 2016,and the beginning of 2017 has been 540 degrees different. I've fired 2 people since the new year,and would love to fire 2 others,but got overruled.

So I was curious about your management style,tips,etc?

What things have you hated that bosses have done to you? Things you liked the most?

Dealing with office politics,and other coworkers,complaints about what/how you handle things.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 02:31:07 pm »

I learned early on the less you manage the better.

My first promotion to "dish room supervisor" didn't come with the 15 cent per hour raise I was suppose to get so I refused to supervise.  My hope was my boss would get pissed when everything went to hell.  To my dismay the dish room ran more efficiently with me not telling people what to do, and answering every question with "I am not in charge figure it out on your own" and just doing my old job, then it did with the former supervisor telling everyone constantly what to do. 

Eventually I quit disgusted my plan failed.  But I learned a valuable lesson.

How much difference can there be in a dish room you wonder.  I got my promotion the day 6 out of 7 dish room employees quit.  They only replaced 3 and we ran out of dishes less often.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 04:54:58 am »

I learned early on the less you manage the better.
I don't know, I think that I disagree. Let's see, I have a manager that won't enforce any rules on people that kiss his ass. We've had 4-5 meetings about company policy on using cell phones in the work zone since it's a safety issue. It has been brought to his attention a few times also. However, his favorite employees can have their earpiece in, talking loudly with no one around them, and he just acts like he doesn't see it. The same people disappear for 20 mins at a time. The same people take 45 min lunches when we only get 30 mins for lunch. The same people clock in late and leave early and get no infractions on their attendance record. All of these are SOP company policies. All of these things we have all had meeting over and been threatened about by this manager. How many times can you warn a person and then never follow up on said warning.

So yes, if 50% of the employees actually make an effort to follow the rules then the other 50% should be managed. It's so bad that I actually sit there with a big grin and chuckle in these "wink wink" meetings. I actually wonder how some people get into management. The company requires a college degree for management but they don't require common sense or any sense of maturity.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray