Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:26:13 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Congratulations President Trump
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Congratulations President Trump  (Read 14170 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2017, 06:33:56 pm »

Biggest reason Trump won is the same reason Adams won in 1824, Hayes in 1876, Harrison in 1888 and Bush in 2000, we DONT HAVE A DEMOCRAY.  Over a million more people voted for Hillary Clinton than Trump, the majority of Americans who voted would rather she was president. 

Anyone who thinks most people support Trump is dillusional. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2017, 06:50:51 pm »

The number is 3 million more... not that it matters.

The rules are the rules.  The fact that someone as unqualified as Trump can even make it to the general, much less be competitive in enough states to even make it close, says more than enough about our country.  All of the idiots who voted for Trump while thinking that he wouldn't repeal Obamacare that they depend on or that he wouldn't gut Planned Parenthood need to be shown that elections have consequences.

That's not to say that all Trump voters are idiots; many of them voted in their own legitimate interests, and want him to do exactly what he said.  But this phenomenon of people not voting for Hillary because "she says she'll protect these programs but I don't believe her," and instead voting for Trump because "he says he'll DESTROY these programs but I don't believe him"... these people need to be punished with the outcome they voted for.

If you wanted Trump to build a wall, kick out the Muslims, and end Obamacare, fine; vote your interests.  But this nonsense about "I voted for him but I didn't think he would do what he said" cannot be allowed to continue.  It is a cancer on our democracy that needs to be burned away as soon as possible.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2017, 01:44:21 pm »

Biggest reason Trump won is the same reason Adams won in 1824, Hayes in 1876, Harrison in 1888 and Bush in 2000, we DONT HAVE A DEMOCRAY.  Over a million more people voted for Hillary Clinton than Trump, the majority of Americans who voted would rather she was president. 

Anyone who thinks most people support Trump is dillusional. 
More people ... no. More parts of the country absolutely supported Trump. No one wants California, New York and Texas to dictate to the rest of America how to live and that's exactly why our forefathers came up with the process. If you don't agree with it then you probably don't understand it. We were built on state's rights but people want to the federal government to force everyone to live the same. Bigger government to force more laws.   

The truth is most of the country (land wise) wanted a change and that is how our system works.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2017, 02:36:33 pm »

More people ... no. More parts of the country absolutely supported Trump. No one wants California, New York and Texas to dictate to the rest of America how to live and that's exactly why our forefathers came up with the process. If you don't agree with it then you probably don't understand it. We were built on state's rights but people want to the federal government to force everyone to live the same. Bigger government to force more laws.   

The truth is most of the country (land wise) wanted a change and that is how our system works.
It's funny that if the situation was reversed. The people complaining about the Electoral College right now wouldn't be saying shit. They would be happy as hell with the Electoral College system if Hillary won. That's why you can't take any of them seriously.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2017, 02:57:57 pm »

More people ... no. More parts of the country absolutely supported Trump.
Votes are cast by people, not land.  More people wanted Hillary to be President.  Full stop.

No, it does not work "land wise," otherwise Alaska would determine the outcome of nearly every Presidential election.

I don't know what hypothetical form of government is determined by land (especially since land doesn't vote) but it certainly isn't a democracy (or a republic).

It's funny that if the situation was reversed. The people complaining about the Electoral College right now wouldn't be saying shit.
That's an interesting theory... but in order to test it, the Republicans would have to actually win the popular vote, something they have managed to do only once since the fall of the Soviet Union almost 30 years ago.  So I guess it will remain a hypothetical!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 03:04:08 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2017, 03:13:05 pm »

To add on to the above: the Democrats in Congress - both the House and the Senate - received more votes than the Republicans (and have for several cycles), even though the Republicans are in control.  The reason why Republicans control all three branches is not because "more people" voted for them.  It is quite literally because some peoples' votes count less than others, which is precisely how our system was set up.

Now, as I've already said, the rules are the rules: we knew what they were before the election.  But don't try to spin some nonsense about how "more land wanted a change" or whatever.  The plain and simple fact is that the majority of American voters DO NOT want Republicans in power, but our system does not value the votes of all citizens equally.  If you live in a low population rural state, or if you live in a state with a close ratio of left-wing and right-wing voters, your vote is worth much more than the vote of a person that lives in a more populous, more ideologically aligned state.

Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2017, 03:55:19 pm »

It's funny that if the situation was reversed. The people complaining about the Electoral College right now wouldn't be saying shit. They would be happy as hell with the Electoral College system if Hillary won. That's why you can't take any of them seriously.

So true it's funny...

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-twitter-obama-election-rigged-results-2016-10
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 08:05:43 pm »

Actually when a pre election poll in 2004 suggested that it was possible Kerry could win the election but lose the popular vote I was actively rooting for such a result with the hope that it happening twice in a row in opposite directions we might get the political will to correct the injustice. 

When it only happens in one direction it will never get fixed.  I wish Obama had lost the popular vote, then we might have gotten the amendment we should have gotten after 2000.

suck for luck
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 08:13:32 pm »

To add to the hilarity just picture spideys avatar in place of trumps face.

“The atmospheric conditions as well as the true equilibrium of the ball is critical to the measurement.” — Belichick
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 09:15:50 pm »

I haven't heard many people advance the theory that the "biggest" reason Hillary lost is because she's a woman.  In fact, many people are insisting as loudly as they can that Trump's election was NOT about sexism, or racism, or homophobia at all, but economic issues and/or how terrible & corrupt Hillary is.

That's not to say I accept that claim.  But I can't recall a previous instance of someone saying, "Oh yeah, the biggest reason Trump won was sexism," without intending that comment to be a disparagement of Trump voters.
I never said it was a popular notion, but I think it's been blatantly overlooked because no one really wants to believe it. But the fact is that many are just not ready to have a woman president and a lot of those people are women. Hillary wasn't even that popular among women. Let that sink in for a moment. How many African Americans didn't get behind Obama when he ran? Hillary didn't do anywhere near as well with women. Think about that. Who gives the African American man a run for his money for being discriminated against? Women of all race. They're more discriminated against then men of any race. I didn't recognize it right away at first either but as I became more aware that Trump might still win despite the fact that he's pure scum, I had to reconsider how this could be happening and it hit me. This presidential race wasn't just Trump against Clinton, it was also man against woman and woman regardless of being the better candidate lost.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:18:10 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 09:22:42 pm »

We can complain all we want about whether the Electoral College system works, or more importantly about how some individuals' votes matter more because of the state they live in; BUT if we didn't have the system we have there wouldn't be 50 United States, because most of the small less populous states that would be screwed by NY, CA, & Texas would secede from the Union.  Not to mention vast swaths of the middle of the country would do so also.

Another option is that you don't have to do away with the Electoral College, States could simply change the way they award the electors.  All States, except Maine & Nebraska, award them on a winner take all basis, if States allotted the electors based on the populous vote in the State there may be a different outcome.  Then maybe a handful of States (Ohio, PA, FLA, etc) wouldn't be determining the winner.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 09:25:49 pm »

I never said it was a popular notion, but I think it's been blatantly overlooked because no one really wants to believe it. But the fact is that many are just not ready to have a woman president and a lot of those people are women. Hillary wasn't even that popular among women. Let that sink in for a moment. How many African Americans didn't get behind Obama when he ran? Hillary didn't do anywhere near as well with women. Think about that. Who gives the African American man a run for his money for being discriminated against? Women of all race. They're more discriminated against then men of any race. I didn't recognize it right away at first either but as I became more aware that Trump might still win despite the fact that he's pure scum, I had to reconsider how this could be happening and it hit me. This presidential race wasn't just Trump against Clinton, it was also man against woman and woman regardless of being the better candidate lost.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

I agree with you Pappy, in that it was a partial factor in why Hillary lost.  The Republicans aren't going to say it though, and the Democrats won't admit it (but I bet the polling numbers showed women didn't come out for Hillary as much as they thought they would).
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2017, 09:33:52 pm »

I agree with you Pappy, in that it was a partial factor in why Hillary lost.  The Republicans aren't going to say it though, and the Democrats won't admit it (but I bet the polling numbers showed women didn't come out for Hillary as much as they thought they would).
I'm not saying it was the biggest reason she lost, but I think it was the biggest mistake the Democratic party made when considering her as a candidate. I think they thought she would do overwhelming well with women and she didn't. I just don't see a woman becoming President for a very long time. If a woman couldn't win against Trump who is a woman going to be able to defeat? Another woman is about the only way I see it happening.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:40:41 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2017, 09:10:47 am »

I'm not saying it was the biggest reason she lost, but I think it was the biggest mistake the Democratic party made when considering her as a candidate. I think they thought she would do overwhelming well with women and she didn't. I just don't see a woman becoming President for a very long time. If a woman couldn't win against Trump who is a woman going to be able to defeat? Another woman is about the only way I see it happening.

I'm not sure I agree with you completely. I think Trump was the main reason they thought she was going to do well with women. If I recall, hasn't there always been a knock on Hillary's popularity among women voters (Didn't Obama do better in their primaries). We discussed before who the Dems could have put up to beat Trump and most of us concluded that he was winning this election no matter what.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2017, 10:50:08 am »

Her problem was NOT women she beat Trump by 14%.  This election had the largest gender gap since 1952.

Problem was turnout.  It was a 20 year low.  Neither had wide support.  People voted for Obama and people voted for Romney.  This election people voted against Trump and people voted against Clinton.

A significant number of people viewed them as the two worse candidates to be bominated.  He got more turnout among those who thought he was the second worse than she did among those who thought she was the second worse. 

Not surprising actually given that in suberban and rural areas typically have short lines for the polls, but cities have long lines.  I would have stood in a 2 hour line to vote for Obama but not Clinton.  I live in the burbs so my wait time was only a minute so I did vote.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray