Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:19:10 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Jason Taylor: First Ballot Hall Of Famer
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Jason Taylor: First Ballot Hall Of Famer  (Read 4365 times)
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« on: February 05, 2017, 12:47:22 pm »

Great article on how much he impacted the game.  Him and Zach were so much fun to watch.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article130846129.html
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 12:56:07 pm »

Like Jason himself I didn't think was going to happen this year, I thought it would take 2 or 3 years, but I expected him to get in at some point. 

I can recall Brady's praise for Taylor when he retired, and while Brady always says nice stuff about opposing players, this went beyond that.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 03:54:39 pm »

Too bad the Dolphins never could get the breaks needed to get Zach and JT rings.

The 2002-2003 teams were so talented, they could just never get that little extra thing that would propel them over the edge.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 05:49:42 pm »

A truly elite player and a class act - like a few other comments I was a little surprised he was a first ballot selection, but so glad that it happened.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 06:31:19 pm »

I don't know why anyone was surprised. I never doubted for a second that he was first ballot hall of fame.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 08:30:30 pm »

I don't know why anyone was surprised. I never doubted for a second that he was first ballot hall of fame.

Looking over the 15 finalists I thought there were a lot of other equally worthy candidates still there waiting to get in. That has admitedly been that case for a while, but in the last few years they have been clearing some of the log-jam.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 11:10:17 pm »

Looking over the 15 finalists I thought there were a lot of other equally worthy candidates still there waiting to get in. That has admitedly been that case for a while, but in the last few years they have been clearing some of the log-jam.
But if you're looking to put someone else in instead of who they put in, my first choice wouldn't be Taylor to drop out, it'd be Warner or TD who both had some great years, but their careers were shorter. Taylor was great over a longer period of time. He's got to be in over those 2.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 11:34:32 pm »

But if you're looking to put someone else in instead of who they put in, my first choice wouldn't be Taylor to drop out, it'd be Warner or TD who both had some great years, but their careers were shorter. Taylor was great over a longer period of time. He's got to be in over those 2.

I completely agree, but for some reason the media have gushed over Warner for years and wanted him in the HOF, hell some thought he should have been first ballot! - I have to wonder if its because he's one of them? They conveniently seem to only remember the greatest show on turf, NFL Player of the Year and Superbowl appearances, and forget the number of years he stunk it up to be replaced by Marc Bulger and struggle as a backup. The numbers are decent overall, but is career was nothing like consistently stellar.

TD was an absolute beast until cut short by injury - I liken him to that era's Gayle Sayers who was a first ballot HOF despite a short career. Denver basically rode his back to two NFL championships - if he wasn't pulled from so many games at three quarter time in the 1998 season, I reckon he would have smashed Eric Dickerson's all time season rushing total. I can see the reasons for leaving him out, but it's a tough one to make - they must have agonized over this for years.

On a related matter, I have been watching episodes of NFL's a football life the last couple of months - they had an interesting one on Jerry Smith of the Redskins. At the end of the episode many questioned why he isn't in the HOF, his stats are as good if not better than all of the HOF tight ends of his era, is it just because he was the first gay NFL player to die of AIDS? 
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 09:11:10 am »

Like Jason himself I didn't think was going to happen this year, I thought it would take 2 or 3 years, but I expected him to get in at some point. 

I can recall Brady's praise for Taylor when he retired, and while Brady always says nice stuff about opposing players, this went beyond that.
Brady went further than that. He actually wrote a letter endorsing Jason to the HOF voters. That was pretty cool.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/armando-salguero/article130913779.html

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 09:12:24 am »

Congratulations to Jason Taylor. I had hoped he would be the "premier" selection when he went in so the Dolphins could play the HoF game because I have a friend who works the event every year so I could have an inside hook up. It looks like LT rather than JT is going to be getting that honor this year.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2017, 10:03:36 am »

The thing that most impressed me about Taylor was reading an article on how he was working out to prepare for the pro bowl.  With his season over he wasn't just trying to stay in shape for next season he wanted to be in top form for the pro bowl.  His commitment to be his best for every game regardless if the game was a playoff game or meaningless was no doubt significant in him remaining elite even when the team was crappy and playoffs out of reach.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 10:50:19 pm »

Who else has been a first ballot hall of famer for the Dolphins?

I think Marino was, but according to the people here he should not be in the hall of fame, though I vehemently disagree. 

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 11:38:38 pm »

How many touchdowns did Taylor score in his career?

Quite a few.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2017, 09:52:40 am »

Who else has been a first ballot hall of famer for the Dolphins?

I think Marino was, but according to the people here he should not be in the hall of fame, though I vehemently disagree. 
Marino was indeed a first ballot HoFer, and what the fuck are you talking about that he should not be in the HoF?  No one has ever said that, here or anywhere else.

How many touchdowns did Taylor score in his career?

Quite a few.

Well, if you put your ADD in check and actually read the article I posted, it will tell you.

Unbelievable.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 10:33:11 am »

Marino was indeed a first ballot HoFer, and what the fuck are you talking about that he should not be in the HoF?  No one has ever said that, here or anywhere else.

To be fair, I think he meant "here" geographically and he lives in Patriot territory, so I have no doubts many people there have made the unfounded statement that he does not belong.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray