Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:26:51 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Jason Taylor: First Ballot Hall Of Famer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Jason Taylor: First Ballot Hall Of Famer  (Read 4364 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2017, 10:57:18 am »

i have lived most of my life in New England.  Nobody claims Mariano isn't HOF worthy.  But he isn't ever in the discussion for greatest ever. 

I have heard Peyton vs Brady discussions and Montana vs Brady discussions.  A Marino vs Brady discussion would be dismissed out of hand.  But nobody claims Marino isn't HOF worthy.

Once heard a Dolphin fan claim Mariano was the greatest QB ever and Shula was the greatest coach ever get an epic take down.....

So let me get this straight Dan Marino was the best QB ever and Shula was the greatest coach ever and Shula coached Marino for a decade.....how many Super Bowls did they win? 

Shula won 2 but the defenses let Marino always let him down......

So the guy you claim to be the greatest coach of all times fielded sucky defenses and could win a Super Bowl if you spotted him a HOF QB.....

It went on and on..... but it was mostly based on the idea Marino was in fact an elite QB but that Shula is over rated, given he was unable to build a championship around one of best QBs.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2017, 01:33:02 pm »

I don't understand people's need to rank QB's from different eras and grade/rank who is the best ever. Like who cares?

For some reason the media types and fans get off on that crap. I may be in the minority but who gives a crap of Montana or Brady or whoever is the best ever? Like if you rank Brady #1 and Montana #1 it's some huge diss to Montana. Or god for bid you have someone who isn't Montana or Brady at #1. So what!

It's fantasy rankings that mean nothing in the end.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 01:40:24 pm »

I don't understand people's need to rank QB's from different eras and grade/rank who is the best ever. Like who cares?

For some reason the media types and fans get off on that crap. I may be in the minority but who gives a crap of Montana or Brady or whoever is the best ever? Like if you rank Brady #1 and Montana #1 it's some huge diss to Montana. Or god for bid you have someone who isn't Montana or Brady at #1. So what!

It's fantasy rankings that mean nothing in the end.

Because it is a long time until September 7th.  And you can only talk about the draft so much.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2017, 02:20:27 pm »

Because it is a long time until September 7th.  And you can only talk about the draft so much.

There are other topics.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2017, 02:26:35 pm »

I could talk about the draft 24/7 until draft day...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2017, 08:47:17 pm »

I rank quarterbacks in two eras.  The dead ball and the live ball era.

I think Marino is definitely in the best ever in the dead ball era.

I don't think it's fair to compare him to other quarterbacks by Super Bowl rings.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2017, 09:07:34 pm »

I rank quarterbacks in two eras.  The dead ball and the live ball era.

I think Marino is definitely in the best ever in the dead ball era.

I don't think it's fair to compare him to other quarterbacks by Super Bowl rings.

The dead ball era ended 5 years before he was drafted.

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2017, 09:24:53 pm »

I am talking about post 2004.  That's the rules emphasis was put in and passing numbers soared.

Here's things people don't get.

1) Marino's record when he had a subpar game in the playoffs was 1-9.  Unlike Brady, he had very little margin for error.  When Brady has a bad game in the playoffs, the Patriots often still win. 

2) Football is not only a team sport, but you play against teams as well.  The quarterback cannot control what the other team and coaches do.

3) Marino's defenses gave up, on average in his playoff losses, 34.5 points per game.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2017, 08:30:53 am »

i have lived most of my life in New England.  Nobody claims Mariano isn't HOF worthy.  But he isn't ever in the discussion for greatest ever. 

I have heard Peyton vs Brady discussions and Montana vs Brady discussions.  A Marino vs Brady discussion would be dismissed out of hand.  But nobody claims Marino isn't HOF worthy.

It's unfair and virtually impossible to rank different players of different eras against each other, it really should never be done - comparisions by all means, but any ranking is flawed because of major rule changes for those eras.

If Marino (and his receivers) had the rules that Brady/Brees/Manning/Rodgers have he (and most likely Jim Kelly and Warren Moon) would be consistently putting up 6000 plus yard passing seasons. Just how long and how much more successful would Joe Montana, Troy Aikman (got it right this time  Tongue Grin) & Steve Young's careers have been given they would not have been subject to anywhere near as many brutal hits as they received? And that's long after the Mel Blount rule came in during the late '70s to stop the likes of head slaps and Jack Tatum style assassinations of Wide Receivers who were put to sleep before the ball got remotely close to them, not to mention less games being played.

Peyton vs Brady is fair enough, they both played at the same time. Saying that Brady is similar to Montana in that they had the knack for coming up big in big games is fair enough, likewise saying that Brees & Marino were similar in the way they played and the giddy numbers they achieved. But trying to rate Brady vs Montana vs Unitas and call one GOAT is doing the others a gross injustice, no matter which one you choose.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 08:46:29 am by Downunder Dolphan » Logged
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2017, 12:54:27 pm »

If Marino (and his receivers) had the rules that Brady.

Brady played for 3 years under the same pre 2004 rules that Marino had and won 2 Super Bowls in those 3 years.  I am confident he would have continued to do well had Polien not pushed those rules thru for Peyton's benefit. 

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2017, 12:58:30 pm »

Brady played for 3 years under the same pre 2004 rules that Marino had and won 2 Super Bowls in those 3 years.  I am confident he would have continued to do well had Polien not pushed those rules thru for Peyton's benefit. 

In his first Super Bowl his defense scored or set up over half the points he scored in the playoffs.

16 + 24 + 20 = 60

14 + 17 = 31

In his second Super Bowl his defense held the two best quarterbacks in the league to 14 points each in the playoffs.

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2017, 06:56:08 am »

If Marino, Clayton, Duper & co vintage 1984 had the luxury of the rules as they stand now he would have put up a season well over 6000 yards and touchdowns scored that Quarterbacks today would be merely dreaming of chasing down (and wake up wet). It would last a lot longer than Dickerson's 2105 yards rushing the same year, which is still the mark to beat after 33 years.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2017, 10:55:16 am »

A very well deserved honor for Jason Taylor.  The guy was a pleasure to watch. 
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2017, 11:50:37 am »

Sorry to bump this thread.

I just was looking up some Jason Taylor highlights on youtube.

He scored nine touchdowns in his career. 

It could have been ten.  He had one controversially taken away by a quick whistle against Tennessee in 2009.

In his final game against the Jets, he scored one, but it was called back because the Jets player was ruled down.

It was great that he reached the AFC championship game with the Jets.

It was even greater that the Jets did it by defeating the Patriots. 

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 01:23:11 pm »

If he had only been a QB. 
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray