Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:31:10 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  How can one team be so lucky?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: How can one team be so lucky?  (Read 8250 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2017, 06:10:33 pm »

Read the rules I just posted.  If you are beyond the line of scrimmage AT ALL, you MAY NOT block in the vicinity of a reception.

I have no interest in re-litigating what you think may have happened in some other game.  The picture that was posted shows two NE receivers clearly beyond the line of scrimmage engaged in blocks in the vicinity of a reception.  That is textbook offensive pass interference.

No it does not actually.

Both receivers have parts of their bodies behind the one yard marker.

Can I partake in the NFL's concussion settlement because you guys make me bang my head against a wall. 

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2017, 06:13:45 pm »

BUT NE WAS ONLY A .0000000000000000000000001% FAVORITE TO WIN AT THE START OF THE 4TH QUARTER!!!!!!

My rule is it's not over until the other team has to recover two onside kicks to comeback.

That was never the case last night.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2017, 07:41:20 pm »

The Patriots could have won at least two and possibly three Super Bowls if not clearly bad officiating. 
I've read this 8 times and I still don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2017, 07:47:08 pm »

Look at the picture more closely.  In one case it is not clear who is blocking who.  But in one case it is very clear that the falcons player is blocking pats from getting to the end zone rather than pats player blocking the falcons player from getting to the receiver. 

Notice how the patriots players arms are down and the falcons player has his wrapped around the NE player.  If anything that photo shows defensive holding.
Defenders are allowed to engage receivers within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage.
Receivers are not allowed to engage defenders beyond the LOS in the vicinity of a reception, and are in fact required to AVOID contact with defenders; otherwise, you could have receivers run pick plays "with their arms down" all day long.

But no matter how you slice it, Hogan has clearly engaged a defender forward of the LOS in the vicinity of a reception, which (combined with the offsides from ATL) meant this down should have been replayed, no matter what else was happening.  So whether or not defensive holding should have been called doesn't even matter.

No it does not actually.

Both receivers have parts of their bodies behind the one yard marker.
Why do you keep bringing up the one yard marker?  It is NOT RELEVANT.

If there is a pass being thrown to a target in the vicinity, offensive players MAY NOT block defenders unless they are BEHIND the line of scrimmage.  It is no different than throwing a forward pass; if you are even one inch ahead of the LOS, you have violated the rule.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 07:52:45 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2017, 10:05:11 pm »

There was missed calls on both sides.

I agree Hoodie, the refs were at best inconsistent in this game, which itself is not a good thing. Calls were missed both ways.

Patriots seem to get the worst of it in the first half, a few plays before the Brady pick-six Lewis was driven head first into the ground after the play was basically over (in AFL that would be called a spear tackle and the player would get a lengthy suspension): I was very surprised it did not draw a flag and a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty (something also said by Troy Aitken at the time during the broadcast). Likewise, on the first play of the Pats second series Edelman got hit well out of bounds after the run around the edge, it should have been another 15 yard penalty: no flag. For the first quarter and a half the refs seemed to be ignoring all kinds of defensive holding, then halfway through the second pulled out three in a row on 3rd down (which were all correct calls).

If the Patriots lost I would safely bet we would hear their fans screaming they were robbed by the refs too. As it is, the Falcons blew a massive lead and their fans are whinging about the bad calls/non calls by the refs - in the end they did not decide the game, the Falcons choked and the Patriots were good enough to pull off the big comeback and book their (deserved) place in NFL history.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 10:54:18 pm by Downunder Dolphan » Logged
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2017, 10:47:56 pm »

I've read this 8 times and I still don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

2005 Divisional Playoffs.  After the Broncos decided to play like shit in the first half, the refs stepped in.  With the Patriots winning 3-0, Asante Samuel was called for a phantom PI, which set up a touchdown.  Later in the game, Ben Watson forced Champ Bailey to fumble out of the back on the end zone on an interception return, which should have been a touchback.  Instead, the refs gave the ball to Denver at the one, setting up another score.

2006 AFC championship game:  They were up 21-3 and driving for another score late in the first half when a horrible OPI on Troy Brown took away a first down inside the twenty and pushed them out of field goal range.  They punted and the Colts closed the gap to 21-6 at the half instead of being down 24-3 or more likely 28-3.  Then in the second half, the refs called a phantom PI on Ellis Hobbs, which the league later admitted was wrong, to set up the tying score.  Later, Reche Caldwell was mugged in the end zone on a pass with no flag thrown

2007 Super Bowl:  No call on the Tyree catch, where there was holding, which is why Manning was able to escape.

Is it clear now?

All three of these games bolster my point of how lucky Brady is.

In 2005, the Broncos were clearly better than the Patriots but they just WANTED to lose more.  That's why they made stupid decisions throughout the game and when Bailey, a veteran, did the dumbest thing you could think of, by not being aware of where he was on the field.  Only Brady gets a break like that.

2006:  The Chargers handed the divisional game to the Patriots by fumbling an interception and making countless other stupid plays and turnovers.  Then, the only reason the Patriots were up 21-3 is because the Colts couldn't recover a fumble.

2007:  Brady threw three interceptions in the AFC title game, then the Giants tried to give the Super Bowl away with costly fumbles and a turnover that should have been a completion.  Then, Eli missed a wide open Burress in the fourth quarter that could have put the game away.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2017, 02:24:13 am »

Can you please make up your mind as to whether the Patriots are extremely lucky or extremely unlucky?  You are complaining both about their opponents' futility AND the refs making bad calls against them.

suck for luck
Uber Member

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2017, 08:01:20 am »

You are confusing cheating, preparation, coaching and determination for luck. 

Fify

As for d4l, it is quite confusing. At first I thought he was doing sarcasm really badly.

“The atmospheric conditions as well as the true equilibrium of the ball is critical to the measurement.” — Belichick
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2017, 09:25:46 am »

Wrong again, that is a facemask on the FALCONS because the receiver rips off the defenders helmet. 

This is exactly what I said and you quoted me. What the hell are you talking about?
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2017, 09:37:38 am »

Troy Aitken

I really had to look this up to make sure this wasn't some Australian announcer.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2017, 05:02:48 pm »

I really had to look this up to make sure this wasn't some Australian announcer.

Whoops, I meant Aikman.  Embarrassed Cheesy
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2017, 08:49:52 pm »

This is exactly what I said and you quoted me. What the hell are you talking about?

I meant to quote BeanCounter.

I need to look up the rule but I think whoever grabs the facemask first is the offender.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 08:57:46 pm by dolphins4life » Logged

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2017, 08:54:49 pm »

Can you please make up your mind as to whether the Patriots are extremely lucky or extremely unlucky?  You are complaining both about their opponents' futility AND the refs making bad calls against them.

I am saying they get lucky because their opponents literally roll over and hand games to them.  That's how they often win.

Also, when they lose they often get bad calls which cause them to lose. 

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2017, 11:08:24 am »

I can't stand the Patriots, but I would hardly call them "lucky".  Brady is the best QB to ever play the game and even though Coach Shula is like a god to me, Belichick is most likely the best coach of all time. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray