Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:47:29 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Will sports teams visits to the White House be coming to an end?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Will sports teams visits to the White House be coming to an end?  (Read 24972 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2018, 01:56:58 pm »

It's being reported the Eagles were wanting to turn the event into a political protest. As of Friday they had 80 people RSVPd with security clearance and then Monday afternoon they notified the White House only a couple of people were coming. There's no way they didn't know last week no one was coming.

Again ... you can hate the guy all you want but you should respect the position. Just say no. Don't play games ... especially when other people are affected by your decision. I wouldn't care if they all were staying home to protest abortion. It was handled incorrectly IMO.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2018, 02:29:57 pm »

Ahhh, so it was cancelled because Trump wouldn't have been able to call it "The biggest White House visit ever!"

I just wish every Trump supporter would be forced to take a basic psychology class...maybe then they'd realize how completely they've been conned.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2018, 02:36:52 pm »

You're correct. I don't believe he's lieing he's just mistaken as to why they are not coming. He believes it's because of the anthem protests when I think the reasons are far more varied and encompassing then just that.

no .. he doesn't care why they aren't coming .. the fact that only 10 of them out of 60 wanted to go made him disinvite them all so he wouldn't look bad
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2018, 02:40:27 pm »

Ahhh, so it was cancelled because Trump wouldn't have been able to call it "The biggest White House visit ever!"

I just wish every Trump supporter would be forced to take a basic psychology class...maybe then they'd realize how completely they've been conned.

What have we been conned about? Trump supporters are getting everything he promised. He was an ass before he ran. The funny part is those who called him a friend before now call him racist, sexist or whatever. If anything .. he is a much better person today than he was in the past.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2018, 02:41:46 pm »

no .. he doesn't care why they aren't coming .. the fact that only 10 of them out of 60 wanted to go made him disinvite them all so he wouldn't look bad
Why did they RSVP for 80 and go through security clearances for those 80? Donald Trump didn't do that. Why did they wait until the last night to say they weren't coming? Donald Trump didn't do that either.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2018, 03:10:24 pm »

no .. he just decided he didn't wanna look bad so eh lied about the whole thing ..because fuck truth .. or honesty .. we'll just lie about everything and the american people won't care because they're used to trump never being truthful about anything .. not about crowd sizes, not about the reasons he does things, not about why he fired comey.. not about anything.
#lockhimup
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2018, 04:39:43 pm »

Given how divisive our society has become (and I know it has always been divisive) and how every single thing in our lives now has been politicized, I could definitely see the tradition of "champions" visiting the White House coming to an end.  Every nice thing gets ruined.  I'm sure that the intention was always that the visit be a nice perk that came along with winning a championship that the vast majority of people didn't give a lot of thought to the political aspect of it.  But like I said, our society seems pretty much intent on ruining every nice aspect of it. 
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2018, 05:23:53 pm »

That's why he cancelled, that's NOT why he thought they weren't coming.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2018, 05:57:42 pm »

Trump puts athletes who disagree with him in a very difficult position.  If you don't show he claims you are unpatriotic.  If you do show then he claims that your visit is an endorsement of his agenda. 

Other presidents haven't done this.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2018, 04:08:12 am »

No offense but that is a textbook snowflake answer. He didn't actually call them sons of bitches (he was speaking about a hypothetical situation) and even if he did ... that's not a big deal.
Players object to being referred to as sons of bitches?  Typical snowflake, grow a pair!
Not enough players join the trip to the White House?  You're disrespecting the office, visit cancelled!

Ironic that you're talking about "snowflakes" when Trump is making up weak excuses to cover up for the fact that he doesn't want to be embarrassed by yet another tiny audience.

What have we been conned about? Trump supporters are getting everything he promised.
The single biggest promise of the Trump 2020 campaign was a giant southern border wall, paid for by Mexico.  It does not exist, and it is not appreciably closer to existing than it was before his election.  Or perhaps you were referring to Trump repealing Obamacare and replacing it with something much better and less expensive, which also has not happened?

The only significant legislative achievement of the Trump Presidency has been an enormous tax cut that is permanent for corporations and the rich, but temporary for everyone else.  When did he promise that?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:17:21 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2018, 08:18:30 am »

Does it really matter anymore?  This is the era where athletes fake injuries a lot of times to get out of all-star games or they refuse to play in bowl games because they might get hurt.  It seems like this is just another one of those commitments nobody wants to really deal with anymore

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2018, 01:27:18 pm »

Does it really matter anymore?  This is the era where athletes fake injuries a lot of times to get out of all-star games or they refuse to play in bowl games because they might get hurt.  It seems like this is just another one of those commitments nobody wants to really deal with anymore

Terrell Owens is skipping out on his HOF Induction.  Just got a news alert about it.  I agree, it's part of the new culture.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2018, 02:38:38 pm »

the leagues aren't out for the best interest of the athletes, they're there to make as much money off of them as they can. that goes for the NFL, NCAA, Everyone.

The president doesn't invite the NFL champion cause he feels they deserve some honor, he does it to score political and public relation points with the people that like that team. Once the teams deny him that, he has no interest in it.

Players don't have to provide their likeness or talent for someone else's profit, nor should they risk their own livelihood for no reward. That's capitalism, that's not what bowl games are. I would be ok with NO player playing in a bowl game without compensation. Especially if they're risking immediate future income as a result.
BigDaddyFin
Uber Member

watch me lose my mind, live and in full color.

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2018, 02:55:10 pm »

the leagues aren't out for the best interest of the athletes, they're there to make as much money off of them as they can. that goes for the NFL, NCAA, Everyone.

The president doesn't invite the NFL champion cause he feels they deserve some honor, he does it to score political and public relation points with the people that like that team. Once the teams deny him that, he has no interest in it.

Players don't have to provide their likeness or talent for someone else's profit, nor should they risk their own livelihood for no reward. That's capitalism, that's not what bowl games are. I would be ok with NO player playing in a bowl game without compensation. Especially if they're risking immediate future income as a result.

Generally I would agree.  My only difference is playing in an allstar game or the bowl game I would view as a source of pride, and I'd go see the president because it's an excuse to actually hang out at the White House. 

Compensation for the players is a bit of a different argument but I see where it fits in.

Hey... what's in the bowl bitch?
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2018, 03:53:35 pm »

As a former athlete, I have no respect for players skipping out on their teammates and not playing a bowl game.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray