Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:43:08 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Will sports teams visits to the White House be coming to an end?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Will sports teams visits to the White House be coming to an end?  (Read 24975 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2018, 03:55:45 pm »

I can’t bash leagues for worrying about money because well ... that’s how business works. My employer, as well as pretty much all of them, don’t care about what I feel good or bad about as long as I do my job. If I started protesting and upsetting even a small percentage of clients I’d be sent down the road.

I really don’t get people skipping out on bowl games and or all star games. Seems like a slap in the face to teammates and or people the people who voted you in.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2018, 07:51:55 pm »

I can’t bash leagues for worrying about money because well ... that’s how business works.

[...]

I really don’t get people skipping out on bowl games and or all star games. Seems like a slap in the face to teammates and or people the people who voted you in.
I am astounded at how casually you embrace this contradiction.

The players who are skipping out on bowl games are doing so because they intend to become professional athletes; i.e. they are making a business decision.  They are not playing for fun or for the love of football... they are playing as a career.

It's ridiculous to excuse owners for making decisions that are best for their bottom line (ignoring concepts like loyalty or fairness) while simultaneously bashing players for not being there for their teammates.  If business is business for owners, it's also business for players.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2018, 07:35:52 pm »

Let's just do away with the W.H. inviting teams after championships.  If a team/individual wants to visit let them ask to come by.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2018, 12:37:49 am »

Or, alternatively: let's just do away with it for this White House.

There's no reason why the NFL champion can't visit President Marco Rubio.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2018, 11:56:04 am »

Or, alternatively: let's just do away with it for this White House.

There's no reason why the NFL champion can't visit President Marco Rubio.

I agree.  Will be interesting to see what happens next.

And I tend to think the absolute best thing that could happen to this country in 2020 is if a REPUBLICAN beats Trump and then takes bipartisanship to the extreme.  And sets a new tone. 

If a democrat wins the trumpets will boycott claiming a new precedent. 

And in the last few years some very dangerous precedents have been set.  Let's assume the dems take the senate at the midterms and a month after taking control a sc justice dies.  Anybody be surprised if the dems announce they will be holding hearings on Merrick Garland, creating a constitutional crisis. 

President trump has set a precedent of bypassing many process will the next president?  E.g. Getting the justice department opinion before granting a pardon.

Will future presidents feel emboldened to mix government with personal profit?

I am not saying all of the problems started with Trump.  Obama instructing the justice department not to enforce pot laws, without actually changing the law is part of the downward spiral of the EPA not enforcing pollution laws.  But the downward spiral has accelerated to unprecedented levels with Trump.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2018, 03:29:18 pm »

And I tend to think the absolute best thing that could happen to this country in 2020 is if a REPUBLICAN beats Trump and then takes bipartisanship to the extreme.  And sets a new tone.
That person could never win the Republican primary.

Let's assume the dems take the senate at the midterms and a month after taking control a sc justice dies.  Anybody be surprised if the dems announce they will be holding hearings on Merrick Garland, creating a constitutional crisis.
Holding hearings for someone who has not been nominated by the current President doesn't do anything.  What the Dems can do is announce that there will no hearings for any SC nominee that is not named Merrick Garland... and I think every Democratic voter should expect exactly that.  I wouldn't say that creates a "constitutional crisis," unless you believe that we're still in a constitutional crisis now with Gorsuch on the bench.

I am not saying all of the problems started with Trump.
The problems that are causing entire teams to skip visits to the White House most definitely did start with Trump.  George W. Bush did not come out and say that there are bad guys on "both sides" of a Nazi rally and counterprotest.  Nor did his father "hypothetically refer" to professional athletes as sons of bitches for protesting.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2018, 03:52:12 pm »

Triple Crown winner, Justify, has declined a White House invitation saying, "If I wanted to see a horse's ass, I would have finished second."  Cheesy

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2018, 04:00:32 pm »

^^^ Bravo, sir!

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2018, 02:54:08 pm »

Triple Crown winner, Justify, has declined a White House invitation saying, "If I wanted to see a horse's ass, I would have finished second."  Cheesy

that there is funny!   Grin
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2019, 12:50:39 pm »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/warriors-met-with-barack-obama-in-dc-skip-white-house-visit/ar-BBSI286?ocid=ob-fb-enus-280&fbclid=IwAR2FL1AARZbTYUzLoGOHiCe60k47uDPiwlWjvlsbd01kGMwuRFLXMqfg3hc

I hear Obama has a better cater than Ronald McDonald.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2019, 06:31:13 pm »

Duron Harmon wants the Patriots to follow in the footsteps of the Golden State Warriors and visit Obama instead of Trump. 

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2019, 06:55:21 pm »

Team Trump will definitely be visiting the White House, so that's a lost cause.

I'm just glad that Tom Brady is on the record with the red hat in his locker.  I think that both Trump supporters and detractors would agree that it will be a great footnote in the history books.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 06:58:00 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

stinkfish
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #57 on: February 04, 2019, 07:27:32 pm »

I don’t get it. I would jump at the chance of visiting the White House. It’s the white house. People need to have some respect for the office, and the history. It’s not about who the individual president is, it’s about respect for the he office and for history. Be able to separate your own personal vie s and opinions, and have some respect for the office and the history. It’s not about politics. It’s about sport.

Bibamus, moriendum est

Sport is the other opiate of the masses

Four legs good, Two legs better
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #58 on: February 04, 2019, 08:55:13 pm »

I don’t get it. I would jump at the chance of visiting the White House. It’s the white house. People need to have some respect for the office, and the history. It’s not about who the individual president is, it’s about respect for the he office and for history. Be able to separate your own personal vie s and opinions, and have some respect for the office and the history. It’s not about politics. It’s about sport.

Nah .. that's lazy thinking .. "respect for the office" means nothing when the holder of the office doesn't have "respect for the office" .. it would be like respecting a pedophile priest just because they're a priest .. thanks but no thanks.  Respect has to be earned. Morally bankrupt trump doesn't get respect because Obama earned it.
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2019, 08:23:03 am »

Yeah....  No...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray