Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:23:10 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  "Free speech" and engaging those we disagree with
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: "Free speech" and engaging those we disagree with  (Read 18907 times)
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 02:14:43 pm »

CPAC actively promotes policies to expand white privilege
White privilege, hahaha. Give me a break with that silly shit....

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 06:39:03 pm »

I'm just glad that there is a moral line SOMEWHERE that the alt right won't cross..  .. apparently it's pedophilia .. i guess it's  better than nothing
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 06:51:23 pm »

The alt-right crossed it just fine.  Milo was (is?) still a hero and champion to them.
The regular right are the ones that only got off the train at "live boy."

Although apparently even among the ordinary conservatives, you have some people semi-defending him by saying, "It's not pedophilia, it's pederasty."  These are likely the same people who love to reply in gun control discussions by insisting that it's not a clip, it's a magazine.

It's almost like a fantasy book where you need to use the exact words "radical Islamic terrorism" to invoke the spell.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 07:50:50 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 04:41:19 am »

The alt-right crossed it just fine.  Milo was (is?) still a hero and champion to them.
The regular right are the ones that only got off the train at "live boy."

Although apparently even among the ordinary conservatives, you have some people semi-defending him by saying, "It's not pedophilia, it's pederasty."  These are likely the same people who love to reply in gun control discussions by insisting that it's not a clip, it's a magazine.

It's almost like a fantasy book where you need to use the exact words "radical Islamic terrorism" to invoke the spell.
It is a magazine, not a clip. Language is how we communicate. If you don't know the definitions of the words you are using then you obviously don't belong in the discussion until you have sufficient knowledge of said subject. Now as far a Milo goes, he has issued a statement and clarified his position. I'm not so sure what is so hard to understand about it. Seems like another political smear campaign.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2017, 11:50:56 am »

"it's not pedophilia, it's pederasty"

This is the rhetorical equivalent of replying to a post by saying, "You said your but the proper term there is you're, and if you don't know the difference between your and you're then you obviously don't belong in the discussion until you have sufficient knowledge of the English language."

Clip vs. magazine, pedophilia vs. pederasty, and your vs. you're have absolutely no impact on the substance of the discussion, and are objections that are raised solely to grind the discussion to a halt.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:56:00 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2017, 01:33:01 pm »

"it's not pedophilia, it's pederasty"

This is the rhetorical equivalent of replying to a post by saying, "You said your but the proper term there is you're, and if you don't know the difference between your and you're then you obviously don't belong in the discussion until you have sufficient knowledge of the English language."

Clip vs. magazine, pedophilia vs. pederasty, and your vs. you're have absolutely no impact on the substance of the discussion, and are objections that are raised solely to grind the discussion to a halt.
Clip vs magazine are two different things, that's a fact. It's like telling a mechanic that a gas tank and a carburetor are the same thing since they both feed fuel to the engine. If you are in a discussion you should have basic knowledge of the subject that you are talking about.

Edited to say that pedophilia and pederasty seem to be the same thing. And when people mistakenly interchange your and you're, it is usually a typing error. However, a clip and a magazine are two totally different parts that function differently.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2017, 03:16:56 pm »

I know the difference between a clip and a magazine.  And if someone tells their opposed to civilian ownership of guns with high capacity clips I completely understand that they're concerned with both guns like SKS and the AK47, not just the SKS. Both guns allow a single individual to kill mulple people without reloading.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2017, 03:26:04 pm »

I know the difference between a clip and a magazine.  And if someone tells their opposed to civilian ownership of guns with high capacity clips I completely understand that they're concerned with both guns like SKS and the AK47, not just the SKS. Both guns allow a single individual to kill mulple people without reloading.
What if you didn't know the difference? In that case, the ignorant person spouting off about clips to you, has just made you an ignorant person regarding the same topic. BTW, almost all guns allow a single individual to kill multiple people without reloading.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2017, 04:10:35 pm »

Doesn't matter, your arbitrary standard is the equivalent of claiming you can't discuss batting averages unless you understand p values. 

You have no concept of the history of white privilege in this country yet feel willing to spout of you opinion on race.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2017, 04:17:31 pm »

But the distinction between a clip and a magazine doesn't make any difference in context, which is the point.
An objection to proper terminology is no less irrelevant than an objection to proper spelling; the intended meaning is still the same.

When someone uses your incorrectly, I can tell in context what they mean, and so it's a waste of time to correct them.
When someone uses clip incorrectly, you are certainly knowledgeable enough on the topic to be able to tell that they mean magazine, and so it's a waste of time to correct them.

Take the following sentence:

I live by a very low-income area but it's not shocking to see people living in a 400sq.ft. house with a run down cadillac sporting new 22"-chromed out rims with the new iPhone.
Now, I could address the point the person is making by explaining that people who live in low-income areas may not necessarily be low-income themselves, or that someone may have recently fallen on hard times, etc.  Or I could just cop out and say, "It's a 22" wheel, not a rim.  If you don't know the definitions of the words you are using then you obviously don't belong in the discussion."

It is a tactic to avoid discussion of the actual point being made.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2017, 06:21:24 pm »

Doesn't matter, your arbitrary standard is the equivalent of claiming you can't discuss batting averages unless you understand p values. 

You have no concept of the history of white privilege in this country yet feel willing to spout of you opinion on race.

In most civilizations they structure the system to the majority. I hate to break it to you, but America is majority white. If most of the white people want something here, they usually get it. Go to Africa and complain about black privilege. Go to Mexico and complain about Hispanic privilege. Better yet go to Asia and complain about Asian privilege.

And speaking of Asian Americans. The evil White privilege doesn't seem to affect them too much.

Asian Americans do better than white in school, on IQ tests, on credit scores, and on other positive measures. In fact, according to recent data from the Federal Reserve, Asians are about to surpass whites as the wealthiest group of Americans.

So, Hoodie tell me how this mythical "white privilege" seems to only affect some minorities and not others?

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2017, 02:47:48 pm »

Furthermore, what you call "white privilege" is really "two-parent privilege".

If you are raised by a father and mother, you enter adulthood with more privileges than anyone else in American society, irrespective of race, ethnicity or sex. That's why the poverty rate among two-parent black families is only 7 percent. Compare that to a 22 percent poverty rate among whites in single-parent homes. Obviously, the two-parent home is the decisive privilege.

No one brings up the bad decisions made by blacks that contribute to their outcomes in life. Single parents, black on black crime, riots, looting, ect. These are the real deciding factors of what you call "white privilege".

It's like this guy at work I know. Everyday he complains about everything that's wrong with the place. He won't find another job. He won't do anything to fix the problems he complains about. He won't even address it with anyone. Just sits there complaining to his co workers and being the victim everyday.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2017, 04:48:51 pm »

If you are raised by a father and mother, you enter adulthood with more privileges than anyone else in American society, irrespective of race, ethnicity or sex.
Do you enter adulthood with more privilege than a child of a much wealthier single parent?

Families with stable, sufficient income are less likely to have the kind of relationship problems that lead to single-parent households.  Couples that can afford to get an abortion or purchase reliable birth control so they don't have a child at a financially insecure time are more likely to achieve stable, sufficient income.  And the having your resume passed over because you have an ethnic-sounding name effect also contributes to financial insecurity.

But more to the point: the fact that more money or a two-parent household give you a bigger leg up than being born as a different race does not somehow invalidate the latter.  You can't control how many parents you lived with any more than you can control what race they are, and while it would be nice to get rich and have a stable marriage for your kids, what are the people without kids supposed to do... suck it up?

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2017, 04:42:50 am »

Do you enter adulthood with more privilege than a child of a much wealthier single parent?

Families with stable, sufficient income are less likely to have the kind of relationship problems that lead to single-parent households.  Couples that can afford to get an abortion or purchase reliable birth control so they don't have a child at a financially insecure time are more likely to achieve stable, sufficient income.  And the having your resume passed over because you have an ethnic-sounding name effect also contributes to financial insecurity.

But more to the point: the fact that more money or a two-parent household give you a bigger leg up than being born as a different race does not somehow invalidate the latter.  You can't control how many parents you lived with any more than you can control what race they are, and while it would be nice to get rich and have a stable marriage for your kids, what are the people without kids supposed to do... suck it up?
As I said, Asians don't seem to be having a problem with lack of privilege or being successful. Also, as has been pointed out by you several times over the years, there are more whites on public assistance than blacks. And whites commit suicide at twice the rate of blacks. Yes, whites are so privileged that they kill themselves twice as much and lead in welfare stats. Makes perfect sense!

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2017, 01:53:06 pm »

Many immigrant families come into this country and do very well for themselves and their children.  This makes sense when you consider that generally speaking, only the most determined and hardworking people make it into this country as immigrants in the first place; the lazy or incompetent people are left behind in the old country.

None of that has anything to do with privilege.  Your post is like saying that since Mark Cuban started out without money and now he's extremely rich, there is no advantage to starting out rich in this country.  Cuban became rich despite his family's (lack of) money, which is not the same thing as saying that money doesn't matter.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray