Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:14:04 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Patriots sign Guy from Ravens
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Patriots sign Guy from Ravens  (Read 1607 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« on: March 11, 2017, 04:46:04 pm »

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/11/patriots-bolster-defensive-line-with-lawrence-guy/

Yeah probably not significant enough to warrant a thread, but I couldn't resist the punny headline.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 09:42:25 pm »

Meanwhile the Patriots have given up a 1st and 3rd round pick for Cooks from the Saints.  That's a pretty big payment for the Patriots.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 10:38:25 pm »

Meanwhile the Patriots have given up a 1st and 3rd round pick for Cooks from the Saints.  That's a pretty big payment for the Patriots.

They'll get it back from the Browns when they trade Garoppolo

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 12:56:53 pm »

Those picks are a mere one spot from being a 2nd and 4th, doesn't sound quite as expensive.  I trust Belichicks decisions.  He has more than earned it.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 05:38:21 pm »

Those picks are a mere one spot from being a 2nd and 4th, doesn't sound quite as expensive.  I trust Belichicks decisions.  He has more than earned it.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it's a bad decision by Belicheat, I'm just saying they don't usually pay up that much to acquire players.  BTW using your reasoning on the picks, it's now like saying they are one spot from having their first pick be a third round pick (barring other picks they may have picked up/traded for).
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 07:18:33 pm »

BB as had some draft busts.  I can't think of a single WR he has traded for that didn't workout to be a great deal for NE.  Welker, Moss leading the category.

Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 07:46:13 pm »

Pats confused me. They traded Chandler Jones because they didn't want to pay him. Then go sign Gilmore and break the bank for him.

They should have just kept Jones and paid him. Would rather have an elite pass rusher than Gilmore who is a so-so CB
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 02:41:42 pm »

Pats confused me. They traded Chandler Jones because they didn't want to pay him.

There had to be more than that, they could have kept him til the end of the season not resigned him and gotten almost the same thing as a compensatory pick.  But some teams trash talk every guy they trade (e.g. Oswell incident week 17 details emerge after he is traded) NE on the other hand rarely says much more than "We felt it was in the best interest of the team, we wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors". Fans will trash talk explayers on message board, but you don't have the team doing it to justify trade cut or lack of generous offer.

Jones must have done something that made BB decide that NE was better off without him than with him.  But you aren't going to get a leaked report he was arguing with coaches, not practicing, or not getting along with other players, like you would with most teams.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 04:23:35 pm »

There had to be more than that, they could have kept him til the end of the season not resigned him and gotten almost the same thing as a compensatory pick.  But some teams trash talk every guy they trade (e.g. Oswell incident week 17 details emerge after he is traded) NE on the other hand rarely says much more than "We felt it was in the best interest of the team, we wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors". Fans will trash talk explayers on message board, but you don't have the team doing it to justify trade cut or lack of generous offer.

Jones must have done something that made BB decide that NE was better off without him than with him.  But you aren't going to get a leaked report he was arguing with coaches, not practicing, or not getting along with other players, like you would with most teams.

Several players who also had their contracts expiring the same offseason, use of synthetic marijuana that made him show up shirtless to a police station to turn himself in, etc. It isn't rocket science to figure it out. They got plenty more than they would have by letting him go in free agency (although none of that seems to have panned out great in hindsight).
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray