Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:51:46 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Do you (Should we) care if other teams move?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Do you (Should we) care if other teams move?  (Read 4774 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: March 15, 2017, 04:59:48 pm »

I had some outreach today from a Raiders site, asking for us to band together in solidarity to ask that the Raiders not be moved.  Also, they have a goal to stop public funding of stadiums as a wedge or threaten to leave.

On its face, I'm in general agreement.

However, I really personally think having multiple teams in one location in kinda dumb and I'd love to have the Raiders move to Vegas, so I could go there for trips.

On the other hand, I don't want it to be a "when they came for the Raiders, I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Raider" type of deal.

Thoughts?

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 05:06:56 pm »

However, I really personally think having multiple teams in one location in kinda dumb
I think someone in Orlando, Columbus, Sacramento, or Raleigh might have a different idea of what constitutes "multiple teams in one location" than someone in Miami.  Your house may be slightly more transparent than you think.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 05:08:53 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 06:05:18 pm »

everyone should care. If it happens to another city it can happen to yours. No city is really safe.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 09:35:50 am »

Here's the thing, having the Raiders move is old news to me. I've seen them bounce around from Oakland to LA to Oakland and now going to Vegas. They are easily the most moved franchise in all of sports since I have been old enough to pay attention. If it was any other franchise and any other family running the operation I might have different feelings.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 09:47:47 am »

First off, I oppose all public money/tax breaks for teams and stadiums.  Remove that aspect and the owners can put their team where ever they want. 

If the public money was removed, you would not see teams that have support in their cities move that often, but teams without local support such as Jaguars would still be at risk.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 11:55:16 am »

Here's the thing, having the Raiders move is old news to me. I've seen them bounce around from Oakland to LA to Oakland and now going to Vegas. They are easily the most moved franchise in all of sports since I have been old enough to pay attention.
The Raiders have only moved twice (so far).  The Rams, Nets, and Clippers have both moved twice in the same rough time period.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 12:00:16 pm »

First off, I oppose all public money/tax breaks for teams and stadiums.  Remove that aspect and the owners can put their team where ever they want. 

If the public money was removed, you would not see teams that have support in their cities move that often, but teams without local support such as Jaguars would still be at risk.

This is close enough to my opinion that I'll just piggyback on Hoodie here...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 12:52:29 pm »

The Raiders have only moved twice (so far).  The Rams, Nets, and Clippers have both moved twice in the same rough time period.

Roughly the same time period is relative, especially since I set the time period as being during the time I was old enough to pay attention. The Raiders first moved in 1982, I was 10 and of an age where I understood it. The Nets first moved in 1977, when I was 5 (strictly talking NBA Nets). Yea, it was definitely on my radar then. The Clippers first moved in 1978. I pretty much only knew Dr. J back then as the NBA as a sport was barely on my radar.

Was it really worth picking an argument over when I was old enough to pay attention to these moves?
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 01:34:39 pm »

On the other hand, I don't want it to be a "when they came for the Raiders, I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Raider" type of deal.

Thoughts?

You are invoking Martin Niemoller regarding a football team relocation?

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 01:48:16 pm »

You are invoking Martin Niemoller regarding a football team relocation?

Yes.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 02:38:11 pm »

Roughly the same time period is relative, especially since I set the time period as being during the time I was old enough to pay attention. The Raiders first moved in 1982, I was 10 and of an age where I understood it. The Nets first moved in 1977, when I was 5 (strictly talking NBA Nets). Yea, it was definitely on my radar then. The Clippers first moved in 1978. I pretty much only knew Dr. J back then as the NBA as a sport was barely on my radar.

Was it really worth picking an argument over when I was old enough to pay attention to these moves?
The Rams have moved twice since 1994.  The Raiders have moved twice since 1982, so if you were paying attention for the Raiders then you've also noticed the Rams.

You are citing the Raiders as an example of a team that moves far more than anyone else but moving twice is not uncommon, and even if Vegas goes through moving three times in 35 years isn't exactly a record.  That's the point I was making.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 03:10:45 pm »

Until you cite another team with three announced moves in the time frame specified, it is a record.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 07:28:57 pm »

I don't care if teams move.  However, if a team leaves a city they should have to leave the team name behind, in case a new franchise should start up in the old city and want to use that name (I would grandfather in an allowance if a team is moving back to a city it once had a franchise, for example the Rams returning to LA).  So if the Raiders leave Oakland for LV, then they are no longer the Raiders.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 08:00:59 pm »

Until you cite another team with three announced moves in the time frame specified, it is a record.
Granted if it actually goes through.  However, Ronnie Lott's group has made significant progress on keeping the Raiders in Oakland, so I don't think Vegas is as much of a done deal as you may believe.

The Sacramento Kings were further along in their move to Seattle than the Raiders are in their move to Vegas, and that move never happened; neither did their move to Anaheim to become the Anaheim Royals (a name the Kings' owners trademarked).  Don't count the chickens quite yet.

However, if a team leaves a city they should have to leave the team name behind, in case a new franchise should start up in the old city and want to use that name (I would grandfather in an allowance if a team is moving back to a city it once had a franchise, for example the Rams returning to LA).
1000x yes: mascots should stay with cities.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if you get any kind of public financing for a stadium deal, that should be written into the deal.  If the public is going to finance the team, let them have some ownership of it.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 08:03:31 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 10:22:19 am »

mascots should stay with cities.

Particularly if the mascot/name is topical.  Minnesota Lakers makes sense, LA not so much.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray