Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:00:29 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Do you (Should we) care if other teams move?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Do you (Should we) care if other teams move?  (Read 4766 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2017, 10:56:26 am »

First off, I oppose all public money/tax breaks for teams and stadiums.  Remove that aspect and the owners can put their team where ever they want. 

If the public money was removed, you would not see teams that have support in their cities move that often, but teams without local support such as Jaguars would still be at risk.

I agree, but this just isn't in the cards.  Because if one city won't support a stadium, another will.  Unless it becomes law or something, this will always be the reality, because there can be a case made that the public funds stimulate the economy AND it's not even like the city is giving away money, since it comes in the form of tax breaks, so it's money they wouldn't have anyway if the team wasn't there.  They're not REALLY PAYING for the stadium.  They're letting the team go tax-free.

Still sucks, but it's a distinction to recognize.

Without legislation, how would you ever propose to stop this?

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2017, 11:37:00 am »

Without legislation, how would you ever propose to stop this?

My position is we need federal legislation barring states from offering tax breaks to relocate from another state but encouraging said tax breaks when the relocation is from another country. Having a plant move from Miami to Atlanta does nothing to benefit the country.  Relocation from London to Atlanta helps the country. 

This could be done two ways.  Out and out ban under the commerce clause or by offering grants to the states for encouraging relocations from foreign countries that disappear if they have more domestic companies move into the state than foreign ones.  The latter is more feasible and less likely to have a constitutional challenge.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 11:41:41 am »

Particularly if the mascot/name is topical.  Minnesota Lakers makes sense, LA not so much.

That's not nearly as bad as the worst mascot move of all time, the Utah Jazz.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2017, 03:49:02 pm »

That's not nearly as bad as the worst mascot move of all time, the Utah Jazz.

I was thinking the same thing about the Jazz.  Also, the one year of Tennessee Oilers.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2017, 05:03:12 pm »

Well, at least Houston knows now that they don't have to worry about losing their mascot again... unless San Antonio gets a team.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 03:49:26 pm »

From what I am reading how close you are to Oakland or other city greatly affects how much you oppose this.  Someone who lives 15 miles from the stadium and has season tickets is likely pissed.  A Raiders fan living in NYC doesn't really care, his game day experience is he is still watching from home or a sports bar.  And Raiders fan living in Vegas are thrilled.

Assuming the new stadium sells out, the net overall change is for every fan that is no longer able to attend a game on Sunday, there is another fan that now gets to enjoy the live game.  From a societal overall harm/benefit it is a complete wash.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 05:32:34 pm »

^^^ I agree that the most people upset by the move are the locals that attend the games.  For non-locals I wonder how many would remain fans of the team if they changed from the "Raiders" to another mascot name.  I live in New York State and I know a couple people that were LA Rams fans, and remained Rams fans after the move to STLO, for them it didn't have an effect.  However, for me if the Dolphins moved to let's say Idaho and became the Potato Peelers, I would cease being a fan and probably adopt the Bills or Giants as my new team (no way I could ever be a Jets Fan).  But if the Dolphins moved to Key West and remained the "Dolphins" then I would probably remain a Dolphins fan.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 05:44:56 pm »

The Vegas Raiders are going to have the same problem ALL teams in nice tourist cities have (Miami, SD(before they moved)..etc) is that its a destination/tourist city so fans of opposing teams will plan their yearly vacations or once a year trip to see their team play in Vegas.

They "Hey Honey we are Steelers fans lets go watch them on a road game this year and make it a nice vacation. Ok, who is on the schedule. Well Cleveland, Cincy, Baltimore, oh and they play in Vegas this year. Ok, lets do a week in Vegas and one of the days will be the game. Book it". And the Raiders home stadium gets overtaken with opposing fans every game because the road team travels to detestation cities. 

The stadium will always be sold out, just might not be with Raiders fans. Vegas in the NFL is here to stay and pencil in the Super Bowl in Vegas every 5 years as owners will want to spend a week in Vegas as often as possible.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2017, 06:10:43 pm »

probably adopt the Bills

I'm just going to pretend you never said this.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2017, 08:38:55 am »

The Vegas Raiders are going to have the same problem ALL teams in nice tourist cities have (Miami, SD(before they moved)..etc) is that its a destination/tourist city

The Giants don't seem to have this problem.  Dolphins didn't when Marino was tossing the pig skin.  Saints had this problem before 2009, but not recently.  More at play than just being a city worth visiting.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2017, 02:49:51 pm »

I'm just going to pretend you never said this.

Believe me I never would have thought this back in the Kelly vs Marino days, but since they have been bigger losers than the Dolphins the last decade my hatred for them has subsided.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2017, 05:47:19 pm »

The Giants don't seem to have this problem.  Dolphins didn't when Marino was tossing the pig skin.  Saints had this problem before 2009, but not recently.  More at play than just being a city worth visiting.

Giants play in NJ but even if you count NY it isn't a tourist city like Vegas, Miami, SD...etc. Many people avoid NY cause its just so big and so many people.  And in the cold months nobody is running to NY unless its for a few days around christmas
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2017, 06:15:42 pm »

Giants play in NJ but even if you count NY it isn't a tourist city like Vegas, Miami, SD...etc. Many people avoid NY cause its just so big and so many people.  And in the cold months nobody is running to NY unless its for a few days around christmas

NYC gets more visitors than any other city in the USA and is ranked #5 in the world.  NYC gets more than 50 million visitors per year, Browder County less than 15 million.

Statue of Liberty is a World Heritage Site.  Empire State Building, WTC memorial,

Quick name the city:

With the most prominent theater district?
Most famous parade?
Nye party?
Want to watch SNL, the today show, the daily show etc live....guess what city you visit?

It is Giants would get more foreign fans if tickets were obtainable...but the are sold out with decade long waiting list and scant few being available on the secondary market.  Jets otoh does get fans from other teams.

Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2017, 09:30:17 pm »

NYC gets more visitors than any other city in the USA and is ranked #5 in the world.  NYC gets more than 50 million visitors per year, Browder County less than 15 million.

Statue of Liberty is a World Heritage Site.  Empire State Building, WTC memorial,

Quick name the city:

With the most prominent theater district?
Most famous parade?
Nye party?
Want to watch SNL, the today show, the daily show etc live....guess what city you visit?

It is Giants would get more foreign fans if tickets were obtainable...but the are sold out with decade long waiting list and scant few being available on the secondary market.  Jets otoh does get fans from other teams.

Not arguing NYC is big for tourists  obviously it is, but when planning a vacation to watch your team play fans are going to want to go to a warm destination to escape the cold. 
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2017, 12:48:42 pm »

Not arguing NYC is big for tourists  obviously it is, but when planning a vacation to watch your team play fans are going to want to go to a warm destination to escape the cold. 

That is one factor.  But a bigger factor is tickets being available. 

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray