Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:33:11 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Crazily Early Draft Thoughts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Crazily Early Draft Thoughts  (Read 2402 times)
Dolphster
Uber Member

« on: March 17, 2017, 03:04:39 pm »

Yeah, so I know it is too early to talk draft when Free Agents are still lurking out there.  But I'm such a geek on the draft that I have to start an admittedly premature draft thread.  All comments are retractable, pending free agent signings.   Grin

Rd 1, Pick 22    None of the OLBs in the draft really blow me away.  But it is still such an urgent need that I think the Fins really need to address it in the first round.  I dig TJ Watt.  For one thing, ya have to like the family genetics and I would assume that TJ would have at least some of the tenacity, love of the game, etc. that his big brother has.  If no other OLBs are taken early in the first round, the Fins could possibly trade down a few spots and still get TJ Watt. 

Rd 2, Pick 54   My dream would be that Forrest Lamp (WKU) is still there, but if not, I also like Dan Feeney.  Quite possible that they are both gone by Pick 54, but one can always hope.  I think either of them could step in and start ahead of Larsen or Bushrod by the time the regular season starts. 

Rd 3, Pick 97   Thankfully, this draft is WAY deep with DBs because DB is still a sizeable need for this team.  Because of that depth at this position in the draft, I think that a Safety with Round 2 skills could easily still be available in Round 3.  Evans from Texas A&M is really good at coming up to defend the run which would be a big help given how bad the run defense was last year.  He might be gone though since the "experts" have him going anywhere from Round 3 all the way up to Round 1.  A really good all around Safety would be Marcus Williams from Utah.  Solid in coverage and against the run, but he just needs to add some muscle weight to play at a high level in the NFL. 

Rd 5, Pick 166   Although it isn't a huge need for the Fins, RB depth in this draft is crazy good.  So I would take a flyer on an RB just because with such depth at the RB spot in the draft, a really good RB could still be there by Rd 5.  Especially since RBs aren't valued anywhere nearly as highly as they used to be in the draft.

With the two other Rd 5 picks and the Rd 6 pick, who knows.  I guess just pick the guys you have rated the highest that are still available then, regardless of position.  Another body to try on the Defensive Line would be good. 

Have at it everybody.  Feel free to share your own thoughts, make fun of mine, etc. 
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 03:41:40 pm »

I'll be honest, I don't follow draft prospects nearly as much as others on the board. It is such a crapshoot that the only bigger risk I think is national signing day (which I know others here also put too much stock in). That said, I like your thoughts. OLB is a need but with the Timmons signing, I expect Alonzo is taking an OLB spot so maybe it isn't as big a need as originally thought. With that idea, I'm not sure how to address the first pick but with whatever fits our many holes the best.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 03:55:23 pm »

With the 22nd pick, Fins go local and draft  Justin Vogel.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 04:58:38 pm »

Since last season ended, I have done at least 100 full 7-round mocks for Miami...likely double that for SF. I love playing the "If I were the GM..." game.

Forrest Lamp is pretty much always gone within the first few picks of round two in the mocks I've done, but if wishing a little could get him to drop, I am all for it.

I think ILB is a bigger need than OLB, so I'd prefer to wait on an edge rusher until after Miami gets the OG and ILB slots taken care of. I do like TJ Watt, but think it may be a stretch (imo) to select him at #22.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 01:14:25 am »

Lamp will be gone between pick 15-32. No way he gets to Rd 2

Trading down in Rd 1 is likely if Taco Charlton and Zach Cunningham are already gone by pick 22
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 05:25:16 am »

Trading down in Rd 1 is likely if Taco Charlton and Zach Cunningham are already gone by pick 22

Charlton may drop to late in the first round.   He's slow getting off his blocks and his speed and quickness won't compensate at this level.   A lot of times at Michigan, he made plays because of his hustle.  That will never work in the NFL
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 07:55:51 pm by BuccaneerBrad » Logged

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 11:57:17 am »

I'll be honest, I don't follow draft prospects nearly as much as others on the board. It is such a crapshoot that the only bigger risk I think is national signing day (which I know others here also put too much stock in). That said, I like your thoughts. OLB is a need but with the Timmons signing, I expect Alonzo is taking an OLB spot so maybe it isn't as big a need as originally thought. With that idea, I'm not sure how to address the first pick but with whatever fits our many holes the best.

Good point about Timmons helping.  I've always like the potential of Koa Misi, but at this point I fear that durability issues just make him less than dependable.  Of course, having said that, every NFL player is just one unfortunate injury away from having their career over. 
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 11:59:32 am »

Yeah, I doubt Lamp will be there by the Fins 2nd round pick, but a guy can always dream.  Maybe someone will leak a video of him banging away on a bong while wearing a gas mask.  That worked out pretty well for us last year.   Grin
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 01:38:30 pm »

Since last season ended, I have done at least 100 full 7-round mocks for Miami...likely double that for SF. I love playing the "If I were the GM..." game.

So what do you do? Get together with 31 other people and basically have a FF draft? 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 01:51:47 pm »

With the 22nd pick, Fins go local and draft  Justin Vogel.

No way he is still there at #22.  Maybe the Dolphins could package their 1st round pick and their 2nd round pick to move up into the top 10 to get a shot at Vogel.    Wink
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 04:18:59 pm »

So what do you do? Get together with 31 other people and basically have a FF draft? 

No, I use the site Fanspeak.com. They have a mock draft tool called "On the Clock" that allows you to draft for your team, and the computer will draft for the others. The premium version allows you to send and receive draft pick trade offers. You can choose from "Big Boards" with different player rankings from CBS, Bleacher Report or about a dozen other options.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 07:32:09 pm »

I love Lamp.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gId6nrMDmUU
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 07:54:06 am »

No, I use the site Fanspeak.com. They have a mock draft tool called "On the Clock" that allows you to draft for your team, and the computer will draft for the others. The premium version allows you to send and receive draft pick trade offers. You can choose from "Big Boards" with different player rankings from CBS, Bleacher Report or about a dozen other options.

Thanks for the heads up on Fanspeak.  I messed around with that for about an hour last night and thought it was fun.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 12:05:59 pm »

Thanks for the heads up on Fanspeak.  I messed around with that for about an hour last night and thought it was fun.

If you ever want to waste an hour or so, do the "Manage The Cap" free agency tool first, then when you're finished with free agency, use the "On the Clock" tool to draft rookies. Gives ya a good feel for dealing with salary cap issues, positional values, etc...it's pretty fun stuff. ')

~ Micah Leggat
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 01:06:01 pm »

Since I started this thread a week ago, Lamp has shot up the projected draft rankings like crazy.  Now I would take him in the first round in a heartbeat.  Hell, he may even be gone by pick #22.  Crazy since two weeks ago, most were projecting him as a late First Round to Second Round pick. 
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray