Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:23:06 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  I just don't get.....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: I just don't get.....  (Read 2880 times)
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« on: March 27, 2017, 06:52:30 pm »

I'm a redneck...a liberal one, but a redneck...but
I just don't get.....Those sticker "Memorials" that people put on their automotive windows..IE In Loving Memory Of Bob Smith 1980-2013  90% of the time it's some rusted out,duct taped tail lights,Jalopy,P.O.S is this really that much of tribute to that person being on this vehicle?

I get it written on the dog box,if it was your favorite hunting dog,that gave you 6 litters of puppies,and they are all good hunters...Smh...

Ok, I'd prefer this not go into a flame war into politics,or religion...But here are some things you just don't get...There are lists of things,but driving back and forth to the hospital visiting my Mom, it amazes me how many of these I see around here.

So finish the sentence...I just don't get....

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 10:47:11 am »

Grief is one of those things I try really hard not to question.  I would never want to put a sticker on my window for the dead, nor have my name on someone's car as an honor of me, but grief is for the living -- not the dead.  So, whatever makes them feel better, I guess.

I just don't get celebrity worship.

There are celebrities I like, and there are people I'd love to talk to, meet, get insight from, etc.  But that's also true of non-celebrities.  Interesting people are interesting, so there's nothing weird there.  I would love to sit and hang out with Mark Hammil.  But I'd also love to sit and hang out with Lil B.  It's where it turns into God-like status that I don't understand.  This goes doubly true for celebrities that are famous for things that aren't admirable.

I drink your milkshake!
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 03:39:09 pm »

^ I guess my problem has more to do with whom,or why some people are celebrities.I don't feel it's fair the put a reality t.v. personality(who's claim to fame is saying stupid shit,doing stupid shit,on camera),as a Academy award winning actor,and someone like Adam Savage (formerly of Mythbusters). Undecided   

(Yeah I really like Adam Savage,Love tested,and learning things from tested,and hearing his Ted talks,etc.)

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 04:33:21 pm »

I don't get:

Smart cars...those tiny little shoebox fuckers. How could you possibly drive more than 5 mph in one of those and feel any semblance of safety?

Black coffee or unsweetened tea... Sure, the caffeine may still be there, but drinking it unsweetened just seems nasty to me.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 10:05:16 am »

I love unsweet tea.  I don't know how it came about.  I'm to the point now that I can drink black coffee, though that used to be totally disgusting. 

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 10:29:39 am »

To tag on behind Stroke:

I just don't get self driving cars. Who would feel remotely safe being in one or even on the same road as one.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 11:57:47 am »

Someone already touched on this, but I just don't get how celebrities are held in such high regard for their opinions on political topics.  Sure, they are entitled to their opinions just like anyone else, but I don't get how so many people turn to them as their main source of information for formulating their own opinions.
 "Sir/Madam, what are your qualifications for being an expert on geo-political world events?"   
     "I have three albums that have gone platinum." 
 "Well, with that kind of expertise, you are clearly the person I want to choose as my subject matter expert to inform me."

Huh
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 01:15:40 pm »

I've got another one. I just don't get people who read and do puzzles on the toilet. I just want to do my business, clean up and get out of there.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 02:06:01 pm »

I've got another one. I just don't get people who read and do puzzles on the toilet. I just want to do my business, clean up and get out of there.
I don't get people playing on their phones and tablets while taking a shit. That's nasty!!! People have a really short attention span these days, hahaha.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 02:49:10 pm »

I don't get people playing on their phones and tablets while taking a shit. That's nasty!!! People have a really short attention span these days, hahaha.
It's better than reading the back of a shampoo bottle over and over.  I feel you and Phish are in the minority here...
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 02:50:50 pm »

You sound a little defensive their toilet lingerer  Cheesy
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 03:01:17 pm »

To tag on behind Stroke:

I just don't get self driving cars. Who would feel remotely safe being in one or even on the same road as one.

I don't get why people's opposition to self driving cars.  While not perfect they are much better than human drivers.  Accidents with them are rare enough that when one occurs it becomes national news, and it is almost always the fault of the other car.

I would much rather be on the road with computer than a drunk driver, a distracted driver, someone talking on their cell phone, some one with slow reflexes or bad eyesight.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 03:04:17 pm »

Someone already touched on this, but I just don't get how celebrities are held in such high regard for their opinions on political topics.  Sure, they are entitled to their opinions just like anyone else, but I don't get how so many people turn to them as their main source of information for formulating their own opinions.
 "Sir/Madam, what are your qualifications for being an expert on geo-political world events?"   
     "I have three albums that have gone platinum." 
 "Well, with that kind of expertise, you are clearly the person I want to choose as my subject matter expert to inform me."

Huh

Exactly my view of the political qualifications of the star of celebrity apprentice.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 03:48:38 pm »

Exactly my view of the political qualifications of the star of celebrity apprentice.

Haha, nicely played!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 03:51:56 pm »

While not perfect they are much better than human drivers.  Accidents with them are rare enough that when one occurs it becomes national news, and it is almost always the fault of the other car.

Here is the rub, while the fault may lie with the human in some cases, how do you know not having a human in control of the other vehicle was not a reason the crash was not avoided?

Also, just because it wasn't a crash doesn't mean the cars don't make mistakes.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/dec/21/witness-says-self-driving-uber-ran-red-light-on-its-own-disputing-ubers-claims

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/dec/19/uber-self-driving-cars-bike-lanes-safety-san-francisco

Google has reported there have been more than a dozen human caused accidents but more importantly, humans have prevented the autonomous vehicle from causing 13 of their own accidents. As people become more comfortable with these types of cars and they are more common they are not going to be paying attention to stop those accidents.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray