Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:34:18 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Potential Draft Target - UCONN Safety Obi Melifonwu
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Potential Draft Target - UCONN Safety Obi Melifonwu  (Read 1507 times)
Phinatic_Pick

« on: March 28, 2017, 05:37:51 pm »

The NFL Draft's projected 1st Round Safety/Corner Obi Melifonwu of UCONN sits with Paul to discuss a bit about the NFL Draft, the process and how Obi got to where he is today. They cover a range of topics, including everything from Obi's NFL goals, his record setting performance at the combine, covering Rob Gronkowski, community involvement, family and even talk a little Justin Bieber!

Let us know YOUR thoughts on the conversation and make sure to like and/or subscribe!

Tune in and tell your friends!

Follow us on Facebook (www.Facebook.com/OnTheFinSide) as well as Twitter (@OnTheFinSide @BrianCat13 & @Phinatic_Pick).
We're also now available on the Miami Sports Music app! http://miamisportsmusic.com/app

We sat down with Obi Melifonwu of UCONN today, the projected 1st Round Safety/CB that could be a target of the Dolphins in Round 1. 

To Listen to the Interview:

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvIzO1bzQMg
Spreaker: https://www.spreaker.com/user/onthefinside/obi-melifonwu-uconn-safety-cb-interview-

Take a listen, and let us know your thoughts on the possibility of Obi Melifonwu becoming a Dolphin
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 08:14:58 am »

I've had the guy pegged as a late 1st round to 2nd rounder.  He definitely has all the right boxes checked, he has size, speed, can cover AND support the run defense, etc.  Another great asset is his ability to cover big guys.   They only problem I see is that I don't know that the Dolphins have the luxury of drafting a Safety (part time CB) in the 1st round.  Glaring issues at G or OLB need to be addressed in the 1st round.  I think the guy definitely has talent and will be an excellent DB in the NFL though. 
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 09:12:24 am »

I've had the guy pegged as a late 1st round to 2nd rounder.  He definitely has all the right boxes checked, he has size, speed, can cover AND support the run defense, etc.  Another great asset is his ability to cover big guys.   They only problem I see is that I don't know that the Dolphins have the luxury of drafting a Safety (part time CB) in the 1st round.  Glaring issues at G or OLB need to be addressed in the 1st round.  I think the guy definitely has talent and will be an excellent DB in the NFL though. 

Yeah, LB, OG, DE and then maybe a safety.  Unless he's an Eric Berry type, we don't have that luxury.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 02:00:05 pm »

I'm curious who you guys see as the starting safeties if you think it isn't a need for Miami. I think we can plug a guard easier than safety at this point.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 02:27:09 pm »

I'm curious who you guys see as the starting safeties if you think it isn't a need for Miami. I think we can plug a guard easier than safety at this point.
Nate Allen/Michael Thomas can hold down the fort...FS isn't as important a position as LB, OG or DE.  Misi hasn't proven to stay healthy.  Logan is more of a backup G, and Bushrod isn't that great either.  Wake is getting old, better to get a DE replacement sooner than later.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 04:56:24 pm »

Nate Allen/Michael Thomas can hold down the fort...FS isn't as important a position as LB, OG or DE.  Misi hasn't proven to stay healthy.  Logan is more of a backup G, and Bushrod isn't that great either.  Wake is getting old, better to get a DE replacement sooner than later.

I'm with Tenshot on this one.  It isn't that Safety isn't a need, I just don't think it is as pressing as some other needs and I definitely don't think it is a Round 1 level need. 
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 05:31:07 pm »

Safety is a bigger need than DE in my opinion.

LB comes first. But if Miami drafted a safety in Rd 1 I would have no problems with that at all. After Reshad Jones Miami has nothing. You have an old downside of his career Nate Allen and nobody behind him who is good. Michael Thomas and Walt Aikens aren't good safeties. Only special teams players
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 06:13:36 pm »

Safety is a bigger need than DE in my opinion.

LB comes first. But if Miami drafted a safety in Rd 1 I would have no problems with that at all. After Reshad Jones Miami has nothing. You have an old downside of his career Nate Allen and nobody behind him who is good. Michael Thomas and Walt Aikens aren't good safeties. Only special teams players
I wouldn't be pissed if they drafted a safety, I just think those other positions are more important.  I'd like to see them draft a LB or OG then DE.  But I only rank a need for DE slightly over a need at FS.
Phinatic_Pick

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 10:25:15 pm »

I've had the guy pegged as a late 1st round to 2nd rounder.  He definitely has all the right boxes checked, he has size, speed, can cover AND support the run defense, etc.  Another great asset is his ability to cover big guys.   They only problem I see is that I don't know that the Dolphins have the luxury of drafting a Safety (part time CB) in the 1st round.  Glaring issues at G or OLB need to be addressed in the 1st round.  I think the guy definitely has talent and will be an excellent DB in the NFL though. 

I hear you.  We have a segment with Chris Kouffman examining the guards, and one prospect that could check all the boxes there which he brings up is Braden...
Phinatic_Pick

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 10:16:42 am »

Obi has been getting looked at by the team, and is one of the players that is visiting
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray