Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:18:30 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  2013 Draft
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: 2013 Draft  (Read 2972 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« on: April 01, 2017, 11:42:44 am »

Pundits love to assign grades to drafts at the time of the draft which basically is just a grade of how much the draft matched that pundits mock draft.

But 4 years later you can give a draft class a grade.  Miami 2013 draft class gets an F.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 03:14:50 pm »

With Jordan and Dallas Thomas at the top of their draft picks it's not surprising they get an F, although that's a little harsh.  Their later round picks weren't that bad, and made some contributions.  I think poor coaching in 2013 & 2014 exacerbated the problem.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 03:34:31 pm »

With Jordan and Dallas Thomas at the top of their draft picks it's not surprising they get an F, although that's a little harsh.  Their later round picks weren't that bad, and made some contributions.  I think poor coaching in 2013 & 2014 exacerbated the problem.

An F is harsh?Not one player is on the team 4 years late
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 03:48:30 pm »

It's really a question of who to blame.   If they turn out to be a bust, you blame the front office.  If they don't develop but flourish elsewhere, you blame the coaches. 

Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 03:50:31 pm »

^^^Not my point. How can you say an F grade is harsh? None of the guys drafted are on the team 4 years later and half of those are out of the league and the other half are 2nd string. Any other grade than an F would be incorrect
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 07:28:37 pm »

There are a lot of teams that don't have or only have one player from that draft.  It was incredibly weak.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 05:12:51 am »

There are a lot of teams that don't have or only have one player from that draft.  It was incredibly weak.

Then they get F's too
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 09:19:32 pm »

But some players are still picking up a paycheck in the NFL, 4 years later; when the average NFL career lasts less than 4 years.  Don't get me wrong I thought the Jordan pick was the dumbest pick ever at the time.  Dallas Thomas turned into a bust, but I didn't have a problem with picking a player at that position.  I think the way Philbin treated rookies partially led to their failure to develop.  I'd grade that draft as a "D".
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 06:52:32 am »

But some players are still picking up a paycheck in the NFL, 4 years later; when the average NFL career lasts less than 4 years.  Don't get me wrong I thought the Jordan pick was the dumbest pick ever at the time.  Dallas Thomas turned into a bust, but I didn't have a problem with picking a player at that position.  I think the way Philbin treated rookies partially led to their failure to develop.  I'd grade that draft as a "D".

They drafted a kicker who couldn't last on the team that took him for 4 years. Jordan is a loser. Dallas Thomas is a terrible player. Jamar Taylor was given away for practically nothing and he can't play and he is on the Browns. Will Davis is out of the league or on the verge of being out of the league. Don Jones went on a racist/homophobic rant and is out of the league.

Aside from Dion Sims who is a back-up Tight End in Chicago and Jelani Jenkins who is always hurt and was given a nothing contract by the Raiders a couple weeks ago nobody drafted by Miami in 2013 is any good.

You want to blame Philbin but Lombardi or Shula could have been their coach and those guys would have still sucked.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 09:08:14 am »

Man, I am all about trying to be fair when grading draft classes, but that class is definitely an F. Probably an F-minus, with a recommendation for remedial education.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 09:40:12 am »

I'll never forget where I was (pool league) and how excited I was when I looked up and noticed Miami had traded up to the number three spot. I grabbed my friend and said we are on the clock. I really thought we were doing something positive.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 01:21:51 pm »

Man, I am all about trying to be fair when grading draft classes, but that class is definitely an F. Probably an F-minus, with a recommendation for remedial education.

Okay, I'll defer to Stroke it's a Big Fat F.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 01:40:59 pm »

I'll never forget where I was (pool league) and how excited I was when I looked up and noticed Miami had traded up to the number three spot. I grabbed my friend and said we are on the clock. I really thought we were doing something positive.
I was just the opposite, I thought for sure they were moving up to grab an offensive lineman or to do something stupid like that and thought they had dodged a bullet when they grabbed Dion Jordan instead. Guess I was wrong on both accounts.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 01:44:24 pm »

Just to clarify, I thought we were doing something positive before the pick was announced. I was baffled when they said it was Jordan as DE was not a need at the time but I was still hopeful of his athleticism.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 09:17:13 am »

+1 to what Pappy said,I liked the move at the time,a pass rusher than trading up for the 3rd best tackle on the board (Reading Lane Johnson is a Right tackle than a stud L. Tackle,and also had a drug suspension of his own). I liked the idea better than trading for Brandon Alberts too. 2013 was the year O. Vernon exploded for 11.5 sacks and had a really good year,I can't say if drafting Jordan was any kind of motivations for O.Vernon...

Ireland was going for the headlines,and trying to save his job...

I have no problems grading our draft an F in hindsight,of course we've had a bunch of F drafts over the years.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray