Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:49:45 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  Shame of the Year - 2016 season
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Shame of the Year - 2016 season  (Read 5405 times)
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2017, 07:55:48 pm »

One more thing:
For the sake of argument, let us take Philbin's highly self-serving hindsight proclamations as fact.

In order for this claim to have any sort of meaning, one must assert that after two seasons, a QB's potential is fully (and accurately!) determinable.  Is this the position you are taking?

More likely than not determinable by the guy coaching him?  Sure!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 12:00:49 am »

But wait... the guy coaching him - who was also the guy that argued for him to be drafted (over Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins, Nick Foles, etc.) - continued to start him for every single game that he was in a position to make that choice.  In fact, during Philbin's time in Miami, the ONLY QB Miami ever drafted was... Ryan Tannehill.  He never even tried to draft a developmental QB.  So are we supposed to believe that he wanted to replace Tannehill, but only with Derek Carr?

Philbin's actual actions seem a lot more relevant than some CYA backchannel whispering after he had been fired; I view Philbin's "I wanted to draft Carr" claims with the same gravity that I view Nick Saban's "I wanted to sign Drew Brees but the Dolphins' medical staff wouldn't let me" claims, which is to say none at all.

More important than all of the above: if Joe Philbin proved anything in Miami, it's that he was a terrible evaluator of which players to keep and which to get rid of; probably the worst this team has ever had.  This is the same guy who repeatedly promoted Billy Turner and Dallas Thomas until the day his coaching duties were stripped from him.  So his opinion of a player is worth less than nothing IMO, and should not be considered at all.  I'd rather go ask the octopus that predicts the Super Bowl.

Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 12:27:45 am »

But wait... the guy coaching him - who was also the guy that argued for him to be drafted (over Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins, Nick Foles, etc.) - continued to start him for every single game that he was in a position to make that choice.  In fact, during Philbin's time in Miami, the ONLY QB Miami ever drafted was... Ryan Tannehill.  He never even tried to draft a developmental QB.  So are we supposed to believe that he wanted to replace Tannehill, but only with Derek Carr?

Philbin's actual actions seem a lot more relevant than some CYA backchannel whispering after he had been fired; I view Philbin's "I wanted to draft Carr" claims with the same gravity that I view Nick Saban's "I wanted to sign Drew Brees but the Dolphins' medical staff wouldn't let me" claims, which is to say none at all.

More important than all of the above: if Joe Philbin proved anything in Miami, it's that he was a terrible evaluator of which players to keep and which to get rid of; probably the worst this team has ever had.  This is the same guy who repeatedly promoted Billy Turner and Dallas Thomas until the day his coaching duties were stripped from him.  So his opinion of a player is worth less than nothing IMO, and should not be considered at all.  I'd rather go ask the octopus that predicts the Super Bowl.

At the time the information surfaced that Philbin had wanted to draft Carr, Carr's trajectory as a player hadn't yet become significantly distinct from Tannehill's.  That's occurred only this year as a function of the 2016 season taken as a whole, long after the information surfaced.

So if Philbin was indeed engaging in CYA -- which is plausible -- he was taking a risk by doing so in that manner, given that there was no guarantee Carr would ever become distinct from Tannehill.  He would've been better off saying he wanted to draft Russell Wilson in 2012, given that Wilson had distinguished himself from Tannehill long ago.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2017, 03:07:49 am »

...except that it's even less credible that Philbin wanted Wilson, since:

a) Philbin passed on him three times
b) nobody else wanted Wilson; SEA was criticized for taking him as high as they did

Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2017, 07:47:01 am »

...except that it's even less credible that Philbin wanted Wilson, since:

a) Philbin passed on him three times
b) nobody else wanted Wilson; SEA was criticized for taking him as high as they did

Immaterial to Wilson, saying he wanted Carr and was done with Tannehill was a risk at the time he said it.  Carr's trajectory hadn't yet become distinct from Tannehill's at the time.

So by saying that, Philbin publicly shit-canned the QB he had vast knowledge of, in favor of one he'd never coached at all and knew comparatively little about, when the players' trajectories weren't yet distinct from each other.  That hardly sounds like CYA.

He could've looked even worse down the road by saying that.  It could've potentially been that not only was he fired, but his proposed solution in 2014 (drafting Carr) wouldn't have made any difference either.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 08:22:10 am »

For me, It's Vance Joseph

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 03:30:49 pm »

For me, It's Vance Joseph

Part of me thought it should be Vance Joseph, but then you look at the injuries on defense this season and I have to give him an incomplete rating.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2017, 03:47:03 pm »

It's tough to come up with some "new" shames because the Dolphins outperformed probably every ones expectations. So...

1) Dion Jordan  - I beg of the moderators to hold a special induction for the Ring of Dishonor.

2) Billy Turner/Dallas Thomas - hard to believe how many chances these guys got and just could never measure up.

3) Pouncey - Injuries.  At a certain point you just start to wonder whether its due to not staying fit & in game shape.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2017, 12:07:35 am »

Changing mine to the entire Falcons teams now.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray