Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:35:16 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  Question for future SOTGs and analyzing Dolphins Coaches
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Question for future SOTGs and analyzing Dolphins Coaches  (Read 1892 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: July 23, 2017, 01:21:01 am »

Who do you blame for a bad play call in a game?  The offensive coordinator or the coach?

For example, in the Wannestedt Era, I remember several clear instances of Miami's games involving questionable play calling.

How does this affect his standing in terms of his place in history?

I think a case can be made that he got a bum rap. 

In 2002, the Dolphins opened the season at 5-1, before Fielder went down.  The Dolphins went 2-4 in his absence.  Then in the final two games of the season, it was not a so much a matter of bad coaching, but simple bad luck and bad execution.

Cris Carter dropped a TD pass against Minnesota.

The ball not bouncing into the endzone against the Patriots.

Philbin, on the other hand, clearly made coaching mistakes that cost the team.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 12:05:50 pm »

IMHO, if it's the overall game plan, I place the game on the coach. If it's playcalling in specific instances, I'll blame the OC (providing he's the one calling the plays).
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 10:47:27 am »

Defensive Coordinator Matt Burke was talking about how everyone wants to pitch a perfect game but the reality is you make several mistakes a game. You just try to not keep making those same mistakes and learn form them.  With that said ... it's really hard to blame anyone for one play when they overall game is decided on many plays.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 01:05:26 pm »

Defensive Coordinator Matt Burke was talking about how everyone wants to pitch a perfect game but the reality is you make several mistakes a game. You just try to not keep making those same mistakes and learn form them.  With that said ... it's really hard to blame anyone for one play when they overall game is decided on many plays.

Agree. 

<edited cause I didn't have enough time earlier >

A friend's daughter was telling me about the post game team meeting, when they lost the high school field hockey championship.    The goalie was by far the best player on the team.  (Went on to start her freshman year div 1). The goalie had made multiple unbelievable saves during the game but with 2 mins left in regulation and them winning 2-1, the goalie missed stopping an unbelievably easy pass from a teammate that scored.  Tying the game 2-2, they lost 3-2 in overtime.  Not surprisingly, she blamed herself for the loss as did all of her teammates and the rest of the school. She was teased by classmates that wouldn't know what end of hockey stick to hold. But probably the worst offender is the other team captain.

Coach calls a mandatory meeting for all teammates. 

He starts by saying "okay everyone is talking about the one play that lost the game the one mistake that cost us the championship, so let's talk about one play, one mistake."

The goalie starts crying, "Do we have too? I know I cost us the game, I feel horrible do we really need to replay this".

" yes, you need to hear why one play cost us the game as does everyone else in this room."  He brings up the tape.  It is a play from much earlier in game in which the team captain blows a pass to an open forward in scoring position.  He gets right in her face and starts screaming at her about that one play cost them the game, that if she didn't make that one mistake it would have altered the game".

He then bring another play, and another and over the course of 2 hours he berates every single one of his players except the goalie for multiple mistakes.  He then says that is 108 unique mistakes that cost us the game.  By my count there was 110 mistakes, I am not going to bother with the last two because one of them has been focused on way too much.  We win as team and we lose as a team.  We don't blame one teammate for a loss.  And if you can't be a teammate that supports your teammates you have no place on my team.  Decide if you have your teammates back or not.  And if it is not, don't bother trying out next fall or for lacrosse this spring. Dismissed".  By the end of the meeting the entire team was crying. 

Afterwards her teammates each apologized to her for failing her as a teammate and as a friend. 

One mom upon hearing that the coach had berated the players calling them "stupid" and "unable to complete a pass a toddler could" etc called the principal demanding he be fired.  The girl whose mom called was mortified because like all her teammates they realized they totally deserved that speech.  And all of them defended the coach.

Every girl on the team considers him the best coach ever.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2017, 07:03:16 pm by MyGodWearsAHoodie » Logged

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray