Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:38:55 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Jake Long Retires
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Jake Long Retires  (Read 1373 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: April 24, 2017, 12:46:58 pm »

He was great in Miami, but soon the injuries started taking their toll and we were wise to let him walk. We suffered when he left, but we would've suffered had he resigned anyway. Odd case of lose-lose.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 02:52:40 pm »

I don't really think we suffered when he left.  He got paid big right away and never really earned it.  Albert was a suitable replacement in the short term, which was only a year later, I think.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 03:47:14 pm »

This was one of those guys who was our best player in a non-sexy position and during a time when the team struggled. I wish him the best. His body just couldn't hold up.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 04:25:18 pm »

I still believe he could have avoided being plagued by injuries had he sat out some games when still injured, instead of playing in some meaningless games to try and save Sparano's job.  I am also surprised how much he praised the Dolphins in his retirement message, given he was not to happy with them when he left for more money.  Best wishes for him in retirement.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2017, 11:40:03 pm »

I still believe he could have avoided being plagued by injuries had he sat out some games when still injured, instead of playing in some meaningless games to try and save Sparano's job.

mmm, I seem to recall at the time there was a criticism that he was playing while hurt for the money/game related bonus targets (not so much to do with saving Sparano's hide) and there was a big risk he could turn into another Tony Boselli. Turns out that was not so far off the mark. Sad
Anton

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2017, 02:09:39 am »

This was one of those guys who was our best player in a non-sexy position and during a time when the team struggled. I wish him the best. His body just couldn't hold up.

Yeah, it's sad to see him go.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 12:58:16 pm by Anton » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray