Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:39:58 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Draft Night -- Who should we NOT take?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Draft Night -- Who should we NOT take?  (Read 1599 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: April 25, 2017, 01:28:42 pm »

What player or position do you think we should shy away from, even if they're best-available on the board?

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 01:56:18 pm »

QB & RB
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 02:23:09 pm »

^ I pretty much agree exactly.

Other than these two, I'm pretty much fine taking whatever in the first round.  I would like some good LBs.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 03:43:34 pm »

We should take the best available OG, DE, LB, S, CB, DT.

We should shy away from any other position in the 1st.

I wouldn't mind best available when we get into rounds 4-7 (assuming MIA trades into the 4th).
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 03:50:06 pm »

What player or position do you think we should shy away from, even if they're best-available on the board?

Trading up for a punter or long snapper would be on the top of that list.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 09:59:41 am »

Miami doesn't need to spend anything early on QB, RB, WR.

Players at need positions (LB/DE/S/OG) that I would like to see Miami avoid in the early rounds are: OG Dan Feeney, LB Raekwon McMillan, S Marcus Williams, DE Chris Wormsley

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2017, 10:28:34 am »

Miami doesn't need to spend anything early on QB, RB, WR.

Players at need positions (LB/DE/S/OG) that I would like to see Miami avoid in the early rounds are: OG Dan Feeney, LB Raekwon McMillan, S Marcus Williams, DE Chris Wormsley

Interesting that you are down on Feeney.  What turns you off about him?  I think there are three "day 1 starters" at Guard in the draft.  Lamp, Feeney, and Dawkins from Temple.  But I have always respected your football knowledge so I would be interested to know what you don't like about Feeney. 
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2017, 11:08:28 am »

Linebacker is our top need, I am not as down on our CB corps as some because Maxwell did a solid job and I still think Howard will be good. So, definitely up front on defense.

However, if those guys are gone and there is a good Guard available then take him. We can't have Bushrod again, he was awful. We're all set on skill positions, everything should be defense and Guards.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 01:39:52 pm »

Trading up for a punter or long snapper would be on the top of that list.

Miami already re-signed LS John Denney this year, he's good for another 12 seasons; he's played in 192 consecutive games without injury. LOL
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 04:10:01 pm »

Interesting that you are down on Feeney.  What turns you off about him?  I think there are three "day 1 starters" at Guard in the draft.  Lamp, Feeney, and Dawkins from Temple.  But I have always respected your football knowledge so I would be interested to know what you don't like about Feeney. 

Let me clarify...I don't think he is a bad prospect, but I think his expected draft position is more expensive than the impact he'd bring to a team. If I had to rank OGs in this class, Feeney would still crack the top-5 or 6, but he's likely to be the #2-3 OG off the board.

I really like Dion Dawkins as well, and if Miami passes on Lamp in round one, I'll start lighting candles for Dawkins. Another G/C prospect I really like that should be available on day three is a small school (Kutztown) prospect named Jordan Morgan.

There are so many legitimate crossover linemen in this class that if you need an OG, you should probably scout the OTs hard as well. Most of the centers in this class...also guards.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 05:05:15 pm »

I have ZERO legitimate reason,like scouting wise,etc...But Charles Harris DE from Missouri. The Missouri guy I'm hoping we draft is from Missouri State LB Dylan Cole on Saturday. Embarrassed

Jarrad Davis from Florida,I like what I read about him,but think We're taking Forrest Lamp...I'm Meh on Lamp,because hearing the talking heads talk about a bad year for O-lineman.IMO being a top guy of a bad year for that position,isn't really much of an honor. Undecided

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 05:40:53 pm »

I'd be happy to see the Dolphins draft TJ Watt.  High Character, Hard Worker, Athletic, Good Genes; doubtful he'll be as dominant as his brother, but I think a long NFL career awaits him.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 11:34:50 pm »

Linebacker is our top need, I am not as down on our CB corps as some because Maxwell did a solid job and I still think Howard will be good. So, definitely up front on defense.

However, if those guys are gone and there is a good Guard available then take him. We're all set on skill positions, everything should be defense and Guards.

Generally speaking I agree, but I also think it should be as simple as picking the best available player. Last year we had Tunsill fall into our laps, if a RB the quality of Ezekiel Elliott just happens to be around at our pick and is the best that's there, I would not knock the pick.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 09:34:26 am »

Let me clarify...I don't think he is a bad prospect, but I think his expected draft position is more expensive than the impact he'd bring to a team. If I had to rank OGs in this class, Feeney would still crack the top-5 or 6, but he's likely to be the #2-3 OG off the board.

I really like Dion Dawkins as well, and if Miami passes on Lamp in round one, I'll start lighting candles for Dawkins. Another G/C prospect I really like that should be available on day three is a small school (Kutztown) prospect named Jordan Morgan.

There are so many legitimate crossover linemen in this class that if you need an OG, you should probably scout the OTs hard as well. Most of the centers in this class...also guards.

Okay, that makes sense.  I agree with you on Centers as well.  With Pouncey's health always in question, I wouldn't mind at all if they took a 2nd or 3rd round pick and spent it on Pocic from LSU.  Arguably the best Center in the draft and he could probably play Guard as well.  I like Jordan Morgan too, but small school guys always scare me because there is a big difference between being the big fish in a little pond as opposed to being successful in the NFL.   
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 01:49:06 pm »

if Miami passes on Lamp in round one, I'll start lighting candles

To summarize: back up plan if Sunstoke doesn't get a lamp, he will resort to candles.

That is a bright idea and very enlightening.  😀

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray