Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:42:33 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  ESPN to waive 100 employees
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: ESPN to waive 100 employees  (Read 6992 times)
masterfins
Uber Member

« on: April 26, 2017, 01:44:50 pm »

ESPN announced they are letting go of 100 employees, of which about 50 are well known.  There is very little I watch on ESPN anymore.  Scott Van Pelt is about the only personality on the channel that I like.  Most of their other sports talk shows are just unwatchable.  And I'm sick of the political atmosphere they bring to all of their reports.  Just give me the dang scores and highlights.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 01:59:40 pm »

Jayson Stark,Ed Werder,Doug Padillia,and  Trent Dilfer are getting laid off (coming out so far on Twitter)

I've hated ESPN for quite a while now to the point I hate when they carry the Cubs game,or Dolphins games.I feel for the people,we don't know,that might struggle to get jobs.I feel bad for the people,and I could care less about the network,that helps inflate my Directv bill.

Deadspin via reddit is keeping a running Talley of the people that are gone
https://deadspin.com/a-running-list-of-espn-layoffs-1794664091
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 02:12:18 pm by DaLittle B » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 02:57:23 pm »

IIRC correctly, 5 or 6 years ago, ESPN launched about 20 city bureaus.  Hiring a bunch of beat reporters, I wonder if that is going away?

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2017, 05:19:45 pm »

I know for the NFL, they switched from 8 division beat reporters to 32 team beat reporters about 3 years ago.  James Walker was assigned to the AFC East, and he stayed on with the Dolphins' beat.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 09:49:41 am »

Walker was the one guy I checked to see if he was still employed and so far, he was.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 10:44:21 am »

Please let one of them be Stephen A. Smith
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 10:52:38 am »

I was flipping channels the other evening and found The Jeffersons on TV. I immediately though of Stephen A and realized that I never noticed how much he reminds me of George Jefferson.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 11:54:54 am »

The two I am saddest to see go are Jayson Stark and Trey Wingo.

So, all of these personalities who left for Fox and other places in recent years were just getting ahead of the wave.

I was flipping channels the other evening and found The Jeffersons on TV. I immediately though of Stephen A and realized that I never noticed how much he reminds me of George Jefferson.

I literally laughed out loud (Dear God, help me, I'm a cliche) when I read this, because I can't stand Stephen A. Smith and had never made that connection before.

Using our Idiot-in-Chief as the most egregious example, Americans seem to gravitate toward the most obnoxious and polarizing personalities. Stephen A. Smith, Skip Bayless, Charles Barkley on the hoops... Basically, the exact opposite of what I look for. No wonder I feel so fucking out of place these days. Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 04:40:56 pm »

The two I am saddest to see go are Jayson Stark and Trey Wingo.

Trey Wingo wasn't let go. He was promoted in fact and will be on all 3 days of the NFL Draft coverage this year.

Andy Katz being let go is the biggest surprise
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 05:47:09 pm »

The misogynist in me is sad to see Marysol Castro & Jaymee Sire go.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 01:09:34 am »

Sad to see layoffs.  I've been laid off before.  It ain't easy

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2017, 09:15:53 am »

Trey Wingo wasn't let go. He was promoted in fact and will be on all 3 days of the NFL Draft coverage this year.

I realized that when I saw him on the draft broadcast last night. Forget which of the dozen or so articles gave me that impression, but I am definitely glad that Wingo is still there.

...even if he can't tell Sasquatch from Chewbacca. Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2017, 05:05:02 pm »

Ed Werder has said ESPN asked him, at the conclusion of his conversation of being laid off immediately, to cover the New Orleans Saints during the draft coverage. Ballsy if you ask me.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2017, 08:52:24 pm »

Ed Werder has said ESPN asked him, at the conclusion of his conversation of being laid off immediately, to cover the New Orleans Saints during the draft coverage. Ballsy if you ask me.

I mean they were gonna pay him for it so I don't think its crazy. Not like they were asking him for a freebie. For someone about to lose their job you gotta swallow your pride and take work where you can get it. If they want to use him now and then on a here and there basis, i mean yeah it sucks you were fired from full time work but take the $$$ and the work!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2017, 09:16:00 am »

I mean they were gonna pay him for it so I don't think its crazy. Not like they were asking him for a freebie. For someone about to lose their job you gotta swallow your pride and take work where you can get it. If they want to use him now and then on a here and there basis, i mean yeah it sucks you were fired from full time work but take the $$$ and the work!

He has a contract so they have to pay him no matter what, unless he works for another organization. Take their money and sit home if you ask me.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:17:48 am by Phishfan » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray