Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:23:09 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Dolphins Draft: Predictions/Hopes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Dolphins Draft: Predictions/Hopes  (Read 9984 times)
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2017, 12:50:06 am »

Oh, hell yes...Solomon Thomas and Reuben Foster is a nice duo to help our atrociously bad defense.

You got a top ten talent at the end of the first round.  Way to go

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2017, 12:51:08 am »

And SF only had to give up the extra 4th rounder from the Chicago trade to bounce back into round 1 for Foster. For Lynch's first draft, I am damned impressed.

Lynch is already making waves.  He fleeced the Bears on that deal

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2017, 02:08:50 am »

Cam is pretty good in run defense, he just doesn't get any credit for it. The problem with the run defense was not the defensive line for the most part, it was the LB's. Timmons coming in to take over the middle and moving Alonso to the outside will help, but we still need to bring in another LB in the draft. Yeah the run defense was a problem and it still will be next year, but it's better to have trouble stopping the run then it is to have trouble defending the pass. You can mitigate a poor run defense by getting a lead. If the other team wants to run the ball and chew up clock, that's not such a terrible thing. With a team that can't stop the pass, no lead is safe. Expect to see more games like they had last year where Miami just tries to keep the game close and outplay the opponent in the 4th quarter. It worked last year.
I think it comes down to this for me. He's going to be a back-up to Wake and Branch so that he can take over once they are gone ... ala several other guys we've had for the same reason. I'd like to have selected a starter that has more impact than situational swaps. I want someone who can help us win games now. I think that's what the first round is for.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2017, 07:57:58 am »

I think it comes down to this for me. He's going to be a back-up to Wake and Branch so that he can take over once they are gone ... ala several other guys we've had for the same reason. I'd like to have selected a starter that has more impact than situational swaps. I want someone who can help us win games now. I think that's what the first round is for.

ALL OF THIS.  Guy is gonna get 20-22 snaps a game and you took him in the 1st round?  Wow.  Your 1st round pick is suppose to be an immediate starter IMO and make an impact, though he may/may not struggle from the jump from CFB to NFL, you can see him being in the league down the road.

How many times in the last decade has Bama had LBs/DEs miss completely in the NFL?  I'm not talking All Pro or HOF caliber, just solid guys making plays.  Go ask the Ravens, Patriots, or others that have drafted Tide players on the defensive side of the ball how those picks are working out?

My opinion on drafting guys is 1. Did they play at top tier school, 2. Did they play against top talent 3. Did they preform well or at a high level against that top talent

You can throw metrics at me all you want, but the tape don't lie.

This pick may well turn out to be solid in 2-3 yrs time and believe me, I hope I'm completely wrong and he does great, but the initial feel is that MIA had a guy drop in their lap (after drafting in lower 20's) and they still missed with it

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2017, 09:46:49 am »

Haha ... who's going to teach Cam to set the edge? He's a pass rusher and not a run stopper just like the guy we drafted. It's a good thing we have a great run defense. Oh wait .. we don't. We had the 15th best defense against the pass but were 30th against the run. An edge setter or someone who can stop the run would have been great.

Congrats Stroke! Looks like Lynch is working hard.

We were second to last in the league at Adjusted Sack Rate. So pass rush was definitely a need. Also, the first round is about now and later, not just now.

But yes, we need to shore up the run defense.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2017, 09:59:22 am »

ALL OF THIS.  Guy is gonna get 20-22 snaps a game and you took him in the 1st round? 

Says who? Are you the defensive coordinator? You have no clue how many snaps he will play each week. NO CLUE! You are making up numbers out of thin air, then getting worked up about it the made up number and being outraged.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2017, 10:06:29 am »

Congrats to Stroke on his Niners having a HUGE night.  With that Chicago trade, the 49ers essentially beat up the Bears and took their lunch money.  And they ended up with two outstanding defensive players.  Nice job with your original post in the thread with your breakdown of players.  Very similar to what I had drawn up for my own entertainment.

I'm good with the Fins pick.  I am concerned about Harris's ability to defend the run and he needs to add some weight if he is going to be anything other than a "designated rusher", but I can see him being a real asset on passing downs.  I just don't know that he is a 3 down player and I think your 1st round pick should be someone that you can count on to be a 3 down guy.   But he has great athletic talent so maybe he will grow into it. 
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2017, 10:24:46 am »

Not comparing Harris to Mack, but they are the same size.

Harris is about the same size as Cameron Wake and Cliff Avril as well.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2017, 10:57:44 am »

Not comparing Harris to Mack, but they are the same size.

Harris is about the same size as Cameron Wake and Cliff Avril as well.
The way Harris plays, it reminds me of Dwight Freeney.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2017, 11:03:05 am »

USA Today reporting this morning that Reuben Foster may require a 2nd rotator cuff/shoulder surgery putting some of his 2017 season in doubt

That's why so many teams passed on him
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2017, 11:38:03 am »

USA Today reporting this morning that Reuben Foster may require a 2nd rotator cuff/shoulder surgery putting some of his 2017 season in doubt

That's why so many teams passed on him

Saban's take on it from AL.com
Nick Saban spoke to AL.com late Thursday night about several issues related to Alabama's first-round picks. That included Foster's shoulder.

"Look, the way we like for things to get handled, that didn't get handled," Saban told AL.com. "We have the best doctors in the world in Dr. (James) Andrews and Dr. (Lyle) Cain who operate on most NFL players and his agent chose to take him someplace else. I think (Andrews and Cain) have tremendous credibility.

"So, you know, all these choices and decisions that you make have consequences and I hate it for our players when they do it, but he didn't seek my advice in what he should do. So, if that was an issue, that was an issue. It shouldn't have been an issue but if it was, I don't really know much about it."

Look, if that's the case and his shoulder is truly messed up and possibly further complications down the road, then I'm glad the Phins passed on him.  I don't think Harris is the worst pick in the world (taking Dion Jordan was), but if they did their homework and felt Foster was a liability good on them.  I just don't have too much faith with this team based on yrs past.  I know it's a new regime and you would hope they are making the best decisions based on the information they have.

But if Foster goes out to SF and makes an impact a LB to be reckoned with, you got to question their scouting IMO

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2017, 12:02:43 pm »

I'll leave the medical stuff to the docs, but if he does get back fully healthy, he could be the best defensive player we've drafted since Bowman.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Rich
Uber Member

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2017, 12:07:22 pm »

I'll leave the medical stuff to the docs, but if he does get back fully healthy, he could be the best defensive player we've drafted since Bowman.

Or since he already has a headstart on being in the substance abuse program, he may be the next Dion Jordan.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2017, 12:18:36 pm »

I'm disappointed, he was the 1 guy I was not "wanting" of the bunch (Like CF,& Hordman),but not like butthurt - We took a QB type disappointment. Two of the guy's I was hoping for weren't there at 22,and while The Lions were taking one the two I wanted Jarrod Davis,the news was coming out about Foster's medical on NFL network. I thought Ok,Fine,Here comes Harris,or Forrest Lamp,(Sort of hoping for Lamp).

I honestly don't feel better reading GM C.Griers Comments on twitter this morning,touch worse.I just feel in most sports teams that covet a certain guy so much (in a draft or free agency),or try to get tricky about how much they like them,feel like the end up being huge regrets a few years later.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2017, 01:10:59 pm »

Or since he already has a headstart on being in the substance abuse program, he may be the next Dion Jordan.

Or Von Miller

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray