Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:09:45 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Best wishes for Nick Buoniconti
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Best wishes for Nick Buoniconti  (Read 1189 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« on: May 09, 2017, 09:53:05 am »

I want to send positive thoughts to the Buoniconti family. As many of you may know, Nick's son was paralyzed several years ago during a college football game. It now appears Nick is beginning to show the signs of age and time on a retired football player. He is losing balance, is forgetful, and is having problems using his left hand. It seems there is also quite a bit of depression associated with his current condition as well. I hope for the best for him and his family.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-nick-buoniconti-20170508-story.html
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 10:32:47 am »

It now appears Nick is beginning to show the signs of age and time on a retired football player. He is losing balance, is forgetful, and is having problems using his left hand.
Hell I have all those problems and I never played a down in the NFL. Not to mention my eyesight isn't what it used to be, I have to pee about 8 times a day, I get winded tieing my shoelaces, etc. That's called old age. Smiley

Seriously though best wishes for Nick and his family.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 11:21:52 am »

It's really hard to know for sure but I do agree with Pappy. I'm almost 48 but my body has started going to the way as well. The average age is around 78 so he's pretty close. My father died around then too and his health started failing a few years before. I wish the Buoniconti family well but it would appear to me that his health issues are more from age than football.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 11:42:37 am »

To clarify, I'm not nor is the Buoniconti family (that I can see) blaming football solely. But anyone who doesn't think that our favorite sport takes a toll on a person's body is just out of touch with things. My point is the man is in bad health.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 01:10:47 pm by Phishfan » Logged
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 12:59:15 pm »

To clarify, I'm not nor is the Buoniconti family (that I can see) blaming football solely. But anyone who doesn't think that our favorite sport does not take a toll on a person's body is just out of touch with things. My point is the man is in bad health.
I do agree but today's NFL is much more violent than 45 years ago. The athletes are much larger and faster than ever.

With that said  ... many jobs come with some sort of negative effect on the body but we still have to earn a paycheck.  I've lost a large portion of my hearing in my right ear because I used to work on a pile driving crew and we didn't know to wear hearing protection in the 80's. My oldest brother is almost deaf because he worked his whole life in a mill shop.  I know others who used to tie steel and their backs are gone by 50 or carpet installers who's knees are gone etc. How many coal miners live to grow old? It's really hard to feel sorry for guys making the amount of money  they do when they know the risks they are taking. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 01:01:05 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 01:21:34 pm »

I wish the best for Nick and his family, he is one of my all time favorite Dolphins.  That said, I agree that most of his issues are just old age issues.  Sure his job had something to do with it, but everyone that works a physical job has health issues, many much younger than Nick.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 04:33:30 pm »

Hell I have all those problems and I never played a down in the NFL. Not to mention my eyesight isn't what it used to be, I have to pee about 8 times a day, I get winded tieing my shoelaces, etc. That's called old age. Smiley

Seriously though best wishes for Nick and his family.

Not trying to be funny or anything. But at 45, I'm noticing some stuff that I didn't notice just a year or two ago. Getting up to piss 2-4 times a night. Can only sleep 4-5 hrs a night. Can't eat as much. And just all around feel run down. Is 45 the age that this stuff happens?

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 11:11:47 am »

Jim Kiick is also in a bad state as well. This article describes his current mental state.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/09/jim-kiick-miami-dolphins-nfl-concussion-lawsuit-assisted-living
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 03:05:52 pm »

I got the privilege of spending an evening with Kiick several years ago. Great guy who would talk and tell stories as long as you would listen. I went through the same thing with my father. It's s horrible thing to deal with.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:18:59 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray