Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:01:04 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Trump fires FBI Director James Comey
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Trump fires FBI Director James Comey  (Read 6021 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2017, 10:04:43 am »

First, if the former FBI director was taking notes of meetings where the President had allegedly told him to drop a criminal investigation (i.e., to obstruct justice), then why did Comey wait until now to reveal this? In fact, by keeping his notes private until now, he was concealing them. Right? (That is the first element of misprision -- concealment.)

Second, if Comey did not reveal this information "as soon as possible ... to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States," then that means only one of two things ---

(A) Comey did not think the President had committed any crime, or

(B) Comey was committing a crime, himself, (i.e. misprision of a felony) in order to have something to hold over the President.

On the other hand, if he did, in fact, reveal this to a judge, or to the Attorney General, or to any other person in authority, then by revealing this information to the press, Comey may be impeding an active investigation.

/i][/b]

To the first point, this is a piece of an active investigation. Why would he take this information outside of an open investigation? As stated, that would be impeding an active investigation.

To the second point, Comey and his colleagues ARE/WERE persons of civil authority under the United States and they already have an open case.

Someone needs to try harder to convince me of wrongdoing other than to give a two sided argument. You can't have it both ways.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2017, 10:40:49 am »

If Trump was "asking" him to drop the case then he should have reported him.

To whom?

His boss the President?  Or other senior officials within the FBI?

If you pick the latter would it be better for him to just discuss it orally with no record or would it be better for him to write down exactly what happened and share those facts with other senior officials within the FBI in a memo?

The latter is exactly what he did.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2017, 11:22:07 am »

Good points by Phish and Hoodie.  By the logic being used to accuse Comey, every law enforcement officer who tried to collect additional evidence to prove a felony (even if he wrote down the evidence he was collecting!) would be guilty of "misprision of a felony" because he did not immediately bring charges at the first sign of a crime.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2017, 07:04:55 pm »

Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein just named former FBI Director Robert Mueller as special counsel for the Russia investigation.

Mueller served from 2001-2009 under GWB and from 2009-2013 under Obama.  His 10-year term would have been up in 2011, but Obama requested he stay on for two additional years.  This appointment appears to be one that should satisfy not just partisans on both sides, but the rank-and-file in the FBI who were displeased with Comey's dismissal (for whatever that's worth).

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2017, 09:02:25 pm »

To whom?

His boss the President?  Or other senior officials within the FBI?

Obviously you didn't read or don't care as it as it clearly states if Comey did not reveal this information "as soon as possible ... to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States," then that means only one of two things ---

(B) Comey was committing a crime, himself, (i.e. misprision of a felony) in order to have something to hold over the President.

The FBI Director can't just hold onto information if he is a witness or victim of a crime he is required by law to report.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2017, 09:29:11 pm »

Obviously you didn't read or don't care as it as it clearly states if Comey did not reveal this information "as soon as possible ... to some judge or other person in civil or military authority under the United States," then that means only one of two things ---

The FBI Director can't just hold onto information if he is a witness or victim of a crime he is required by law to report.

The FBI director is an "other person in Civil authority". He shared it with other such persons senior officials within the FBI. 

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2017, 08:08:49 pm »

Count down to impeachment......

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2017, 08:35:38 am »

not gonna happen .. democrats are gonna slow roll any impeachment calls to make sure trump gets 4 years.. they'll use him the same way republicans use abortion ..  they'll use it to win elections, but once they actually get into power they won't do anything about it.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2017, 11:32:58 am »

Impeachment? That's so far from the truth.  I was watching NBC for the hearing yesterday and Chuck Todd, as well as other talking heads, said while it will give Democrats a reason to complain, there is nothing there and Republicans will be celebrating that.

Taking politics aside ... Comey is either a really shitty employee (coward by his own words) or was trying to set Trump up.  I've worked in government a while and NO politician knows the rules. It's staff's job to let them know what they are asking or doing is illegal. I've personally had to go to my now county manager and a couple of our commissioners to let them know what they were asking was illegal or would put us in a liable situation. The politicians have final say but staff are the professionals and are expected to know better.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2017, 11:44:09 am »

not gonna happen .. democrats are gonna slow roll any impeachment calls to make sure trump gets 4 years..
1) Republicans will not impeach Trump under any circumstances while they are in control.  If you think there is something that could happen that would cause the GOP to abandon him before it has proven to cost them seats, you haven't been paying attention for the last year.

2) Even if Dems control the House in 2018, impeachment will be no more than theater.  The Democrats would need a minimum of a dozen Senate Republicans to vote for his impeachment.  That will not happen.

I've worked in government a while and NO politician knows the rules. It's staff's job to let them know what they are asking or doing is illegal.
It sounds like you're saying that Hillary's e-mail server was always a nothingburger because how could she be expected to know if what she's doing is illegal?  She's only a politician.

I've personally had to go to my now county manager and a couple of our commissioners to let them know what they were asking was illegal or would put us in a liable situation. The politicians have final say but staff are the professionals and are expected to know better.
First off, you are presuming that Trump was not informed by his staff of the (il)legality of his actions before he chose to do them anyway.  The idea that if only he had been informed by his staff, he never would have done that thing is at odds with his entire persona.

Second, I think there is a significant difference in the expected standard of competence between a county manager and the chief executive of these United States.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2017, 02:15:30 pm »

It sounds like you're saying that Hillary's e-mail server was always a nothingburger because how could she be expected to know if what she's doing is illegal?  She's only a politician.
She knew the law about private servers let alone wiping them. She broke the law.

First off, you are presuming that Trump was not informed by his staff of the (il)legality of his actions before he chose to do them anyway.  The idea that if only he had been informed by his staff, he never would have done that thing is at odds with his entire persona.
His persona has nothing to do with it. Many politicians are narcissistic. I can say especially the lower you go the worse it seems to be. Mt basis for thinking that is no one has come forward saying they had informed Trump. You know ... that whole evidence thing. God knows if that was true that would have been leaked too.

Second, I think there is a significant difference in the expected standard of competence between a county manager and the chief executive of these United States.
Nope and the County Manager is hired by the Commissioners.  The County Manager comes with government background. The Commissioners who are elected officials might have never done anything more than be a partner in a business. They typically have no idea how government works.

In government everything is public record. You can see my salary, phone calls, emails, texts all just by going to HR and asking to get a copy and the extent of that takes a while to realize. Now add in all the laws and codes that I have never even heard of and you have some pretty ignorant people.  Even is I am using my personal things during work it can sometimes be public record. Where in my company I can do almost anything ... in a right to work state... I have to treat  people with kid gloves because many things can lead to a lawsuit that outside would be considered the norm. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 02:17:05 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2017, 02:24:03 pm »

She knew the law about private servers let alone wiping them. She broke the law.
You literally just said, "NO politician knows the rules" (emphasis in original).
Are we giving out passes on the rules, or not?

Nope and the County Manager is hired by the Commissioners.
What do you mean "nope"?

There is a significant difference in expected standard of competence between a COUNTY MANAGER and THE HEAD OF STATE OF OUR NATION.
How can you even argue this?

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2017, 04:54:48 pm »

You literally just said, "NO politician knows the rules" (emphasis in original).
Are we giving out passes on the rules, or not?

Nope and the County Manager is hired by the Commissioners.
What do you mean "nope"?

There is a significant difference in expected standard of competence between a COUNTY MANAGER and THE HEAD OF STATE OF OUR NATION.
How can you even argue this?
She's been a politician for her whole adult life .... not too mention she spent 8 years as the first lady and another 4 as Secretary of State. Trump has been one all of 5 months and even less when the meetings occurred. I know you get that but for whatever reason choose to argue.

Nope means exactly what it says. No ... local governments are under the same standards of accountability as Washington politicians .... although secrets are much more dangerous in DC.

BTW ... you keep referring to the County Manager. The County Manager is a staff position that is hired by the County commissioners. The County Commissioners are elected officials.  The County Manager, along with the County Attorney who is another staff professional, helps all of the elected officials walk the lines of what they can and cannot do.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2017, 06:52:00 pm »

If career politicians actually do know the rules, then why are you insisting that "NO politician knows the rules"?  If Trump doesn't know the rules because he's never held a single elected office before, it is relevant and appropriate to criticize him for not knowing what he is doing.

If you think that a county commissioner and the President of the United States should meet exactly the same standard of competence, then I guess it makes sense to support Trump.  After all, it makes sense to elect a businessman who has never held any elected office and is completely clueless about how our federal government works, the history of our military alliances, etc.... to county commissioner, so why not President, right?

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray