Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:01:22 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Is there a non-biased news source left?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Is there a non-biased news source left?  (Read 9505 times)
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« on: May 16, 2017, 01:28:55 pm »

I've made it relatively known here, I lean to the right, yet I am getting sick of all the bias in the news.  If you go to CNN, top story is the Russia thing.  If you go to Fox, it's all about how the DNC guy that died last year was the source for WikiLeaks.

Even though I lean right:

--I'm sick of Fox News...they don't hide the bias, and some of the stuff is pretty off the wall
--I'm sick of CNN...they've tried to hide their bias in the past.  If this election showed me one thing, it is that CNN is CLEARLY bias to the left.
--BBC used to be as unbias as it gets, but even they lean left now

The closest thing I've found is PBSNewshour.  Very dry, straight to the facts.  When opposing sides debate, they are very qualified, respectful and knowledgeable, with out slinging mud.  But even those close to me are saying they're bias.

I'm not trying to make this a left vs right thing, I would just really like a source that calls it down the middle, but it seems EVERYTHING is special interest, so nothing is unbias.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 01:45:48 pm »

I think the first thing is making the distinction between what are actual news sources and what is commentary. Somewhere in time we lost sight that the programs on these channels you mention are there to provide commentary rather than actual news.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 01:59:53 pm »

There is a difference between the Fox News and MSNBC vs the New York Times.

The New York Times editorial pages are unquestionably left leaning, but the news reporting tends to be very close to unbiased and often will include complete transcripts of press conferences and addresses allowing the reader to form their own opinion. It is true that most of the reporters have a liberal opinion and that can seep into the coverage, both the reporters and editors strive to offer as unbiased as possible but as with any human endeavor completely unbiased is not possible.

Fox on the other hand has a stated agenda.

I also find http://www.politifact.com to be a great source for unbiased news.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 02:03:34 pm »

I don't even agree that CNN is liberal.  It's just that unbiased journalism, right now, is liberal.  Trump is so unhinged that fair criticism of him is going to be a 100% of the time thing, his actions aren't justifiable, so it comes across as getting bashed all the time.  What can you do? 

MSNBC is definitely left - agreed.
FOX is just propaganda at this point.  Last night, I checked FoxNews.com while the Trump thing was breaking on every network and website.  Their lead story was about Hillary.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 02:14:13 pm »

How do you cover something like climate change in an "unbiased way"?

Right now, the mainstream media's idea of unbiased reporting is "Shape of the earth: views differ."  We have eliminated objective reporting - stating the facts - and, in it's place, inserted raw neutrality on every topic.  Except for Fox, who will happily tell you that the Democrats are liars, the rest of the media outlets reporting can be boiled down to "Democrats say one thing, Republicans say another, let's turn to our numerically balanced panel of commentators and have them argue for a while."

And Dave, MSNBC abandoned their attempt to be the Fox News of the left.  They are currently in the middle of a conservative hiring frenzy.  This is one of their actual ads:

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 02:27:36 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 02:47:31 pm »

There is a difference between the Fox News and MSNBC vs the New York Times.

The New York Times editorial pages are unquestionably left leaning, but the news reporting tends to be very close to unbiased and often will include complete transcripts of press conferences and addresses allowing the reader to form their own opinion. It is true that most of the reporters have a liberal opinion and that can seep into the coverage, both the reporters and editors strive to offer as unbiased as possible but as with any human endeavor completely unbiased is not possible.

Fox on the other hand has a stated agenda.

I also find http://www.politifact.com to be a great source for unbiased news.

The left is the only one saying politifacts is unbiased.  There are many articles that about politifacts that show their left bias.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 02:50:59 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 02:50:28 pm »

I don't even agree that CNN is liberal.  It's just that unbiased journalism, right now, is liberal.  Trump is so unhinged that fair criticism of him is going to be a 100% of the time thing, his actions aren't justifiable, so it comes across as getting bashed all the time.  What can you do? 

MSNBC is definitely left - agreed.
FOX is just propaganda at this point.  Last night, I checked FoxNews.com while the Trump thing was breaking on every network and website.  Their lead story was about Hillary.
If FOX is propaganda, then what does that leave CNN when they leaked debate questions to Hillary?

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 02:50:49 pm »

MSNBC (and CNN, for that matter) have several conservatives that I love to hear.  I like their take on issues, even if I don't agree with them. 

But their editorial shows are run by liberals.  The Prime-time lineup is Matthews, Maddow, O'Donnel.  And it's trashing the right, with varying degrees of fairness and snide.  I get why conservatives don't like it, nonetheless.

But when the President does something crazy and then his staff denies he did it, and then he tweets about it, and then comes out and just says he did it -- all the while having it be an issue that he ran against -- How do you cover that fairly without being insanely critical?

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2017, 03:02:29 pm »

Lips Sealed
If FOX is propaganda, then what does that leave CNN when they leaked debate questions to Hillary?

CNN as a corporate decision did not provide the questions one employee did who was promptly let go when her bosses found out. The fact that they fired her over this is evidence of their commitment to avoid bias over at Fox a similar act to aid Trump would likely result in a promotion.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2017, 03:05:59 pm »

The left is the only one saying politifacts is unbiased.  There are many articles that about politifacts that show their left bias.

Politifacts sticks to the facts and just the facts.  Promoters of alternative facts don't like that.  Steven Colbert but it best, "The truth has a known liberal bias"

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2017, 03:08:19 pm »

MSNBC (and CNN, for that matter) have several conservatives that I love to hear.  I like their take on issues, even if I don't agree with them. 

But their editorial shows are run by liberals.
MSNBC's longest running show with its most powerful and untouchable talking head (within the company) is hosted by a former Congressman that is a Republican.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 03:10:03 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 03:10:09 pm »

Lips Sealed
CNN as a corporate decision did not provide the questions one employee did who was promptly let go when her bosses found out. The fact that they fired her over this is evidence of their commitment to avoid bias over at Fox a similar act to aid Trump would likely result in a promotion.

...or a cabinet position.

Wink

Roll Eyes

Angry

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 03:11:43 pm »

What is an example of a fact-checking organization that does not have a "liberal bias"?

The very act of fact-checking will inherently produce results that are disagreeable to a party that continually lies.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 03:38:36 pm »

Does anyone here watch PBSNewshour?  What's the opinion here on them?

I like it...give me my news without all the fluff.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2017, 03:40:12 pm »

What is an example of a fact-checking organization that does not have a "liberal bias"?

The very act of fact-checking will inherently produce results that are disagreeable to a party that continually lies.

Dude...THEY BOTH LIE!  A LOT!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray